Puppies on planes

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Nico
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico

Puppies on planes

Post by Nico »

Hey everyone,
I am picking up a 10wk old pup (female) from TN, Northwoods/Thunderhawk (thnx Christie!) the 8th of Dec. Was going to make a road trip out of it, and drive down from Brooklyn NY with my wife. Unfortunately this can no longer happen and instead if driving the full 30 hours back and forth I am contemplating taking Cola, my new puppy, in the plane with me in the main cabin. Anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking it may be the most efficient way but am nervous about it as well. Thanks
Nico, Molly and Cola
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Puppies on planes

Post by leih merigian »

What are you nervous about?

I've had my puppies shipped to me, with no problems. To have been able to have them ride in the cabin with me would've been heaven.

BTW, I think a relatively short plane ride in the cabin with you will be much easier on the puppy than an extended car trip!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Nico
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico

Post by Nico »

Leih, I appreciate it the vote of confidence. Thanks a mil!
Nico, Molly and Cola
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Just make sure you take a camera with you! We want to see that baby under the seat in front of you!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I agree, it will be just fine, cabin or cargo hold, either one. I have shipped lots of pup, and a good many across the ocean. Those babies were totally unscathed upon arrival, not a worry in the world. For your short trip, it will be a breeze, I have no doubt.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

I've never shipped a pup but know plenty of people who have both in cargo and flying with the pup and it has always worked out fine. Some of those were pretty long flights and the pups do just fine.
When I got my girl it was a 10h drive home and she just slept in her crate the entire time other then when we stopped to eat and took her out to potty.
Choochi
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

My new puppy was shipped to me here in Vermont, via cargo flight on United, from Oklahoma. He did just fine. He was a bit reserved and cautious at first, understandable, but perked up very quickly. Other than wondering what the heck was going on and where he was, he was fine.
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Nico
Puppy
Nico

Post by Nico »

Thanks for all the feedback. I do appreciate it.
Nico, Molly and Cola
Geremy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: greets from germany!
my name ist stephanie and we have 2 dutchies.
boyd´s bullriding geremy - he is now 5 years and trained in mondioring, SAR and K9
and there is his halfbrother boyd´s bullriding I.Q. he is trained in KNPV and mondioring.

Post by Geremy »

how was your trip?

i go by plane very often with our dogs (dogs were shipped in the petcabin), and it was never a problem.
Nico
Puppy
Nico

Post by Nico »

Hi. So the trip was a breeze. At least Cola was a super good. The airline canceled our flight which resulted in us being in the airport an extra three hours. But miracle of all miracles he was a trooper the whole way through. No whining or anything!! I think all in all the experience must have been overwhelming for her. Cola must have seen more people in the last 24 hours than she ever has in her life! Long story short the flight was a drag but Cola was an angel.
Nico, Molly and Cola