car sick pup :( help??

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Dutchie_17
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm Liz I am 21 & in currently in the process of getting my first Dutch Shepherd!!

car sick pup :( help??

Post by Dutchie_17 »

It does not matter how much i tire out my pup before a car ride (in hope that he will just sleep) he just stresses out too much and throws up... I brought him back from the vet the.other day and it s only a 25min drive on straight roads and he puked his guts up lol.... Any way i can help prevent it? He goes back for shots tomorrow at 10:30 and his feeding time is around 6... Should i skip his breakfast?? Anything i can give him to help?? I've tried taking him for ride up and down the street and it has not help at all so far!! :(((
Liz and Titus <3
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: car sick pup :( help??

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Make sure he holds his head out the window. :eew:

I dont have any other answers, it sounds like motion sickness. I would skip the meal before his appt though, then at least there wont be much coming up.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

if it is not strict motion sickness, but nerves, then Xanax [ a tiny bit of the smallest size/dose pill ] can help a lot til you teach him that car rides result in joyous adventure. never dealt with that young or small a puppy, so talk to your vet about dosing, whether a motion sickness treatment is preferable, or just endure til he loves riding. but from what you say, a pill may be less undesirable health-wise than a severe degree of vomiting.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I've had good luck with a thundershirt for car sickness. They have a money back guarantee, so it might be worth a shot. How is the dog riding in the car? Tethered, crated, on someone's lap, loose in the back?

Was the vomitting just after the shots or was it during other rides too? I don't like the combo shots, especially for puppies. Reactions can often be lessened if the core vaccines are given individually and spaced out.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Dances With Empties
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Experience with Labs, GSD's, & Catahoulas. Just recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd.

Post by Dances With Empties »

Not sure if it will work for your dog, but it does for some: A bonding strap from the car's frame to the road can cure some cases of motion sickness. It's a cheap & quick fix if it works for you.
Jason
Selena
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Selena van Leeuwen, 35 yo, married to Dick. We have 2 children, a boy just turned 3 and a girl who will be 2 in may. We breed xHH, we developed our own bloodline with in mind how a PSD should be in our eyes.

Post by Selena »

If it is excition: Training: in the car, give him treat. in the car, start engine, give a trat, drive a bit, and so on. Thunder shirt or minced ginger, or a child dose of motion sickness pill all can help. The usually outgrow it.