Exercising my puppy

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
JesusFreak
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a beautiful Dutch Shepherd named Apache. He is about a year old. I am doing obedience/agility since he was young, and recently have been working with him for SAR. I also have a small terrier mix who hate everything that moves except me, and the family also has a Doxipoo and cats. I raise many farm animal as well.

Exercising my puppy

Post by JesusFreak »

so, i am bringing home a dutch shepherd puppy this weekend! I am so excited, and can hardly wait!
anyways, i'm glad i found this place, Dutch Shepherds are not the most common breed! I was wondering, how much should i exercise a 7 week old puppy? I am well aware of their exercise needs as adults, but i don't want to go too fast too soon. Any advice on how much a puppy this age should be exercised? Also, does anyone know when i can start teaching him agility? I figured jumping would be too hard on his growing joints, but he could probably learn the weave poles and tunnels pretty early right? Thanks Everyone!
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: Exercising my puppy

Post by karenz »

Welcome. I hope to see some pics soon. I love puppy pics. :D Seven weeks seems like at least a week to young to bring a puppy home. But either way I wouldn't worry about tunnels and poles quite yet. Lol. I'm no professional but before you worry about that I think bonding, obedience, exposure to EVERYTHING, and learning rules is what you should be occupied with.

I don't do agility with Xander but we play around with some stuff at home for fun. But, not until he was MUCH OLDER than 7 weeks.

I'm just giving my 2 cents which isn't much. But, Xander at 8,9,20, weeks was a learning process. For both of us. But the main thing was obedience, obedience, obedience. And yes, lots of exercise such as walks, fetch, and lots of mental stuff.

Just saying, take your time and don't rush things. Start with the basics. And post puppy pics :D
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree, a bit too young to be bringing home. I agree with Karen, bond and let him adjust to his new home and you and the routine. YOu will want to be working on potty training and the basics.

No jumping for a while, they will do enough of their own play and you dont want to mess up his joints. With DS's there isnt to much play, they are dogs that need alot alot and alot more. You can set limits, if you need to do something, put him up in a crate or xpen for quiet/ nap time. This way he will learn that crates are good.

You could have a tunnel now, agility people start with these things right away, put a treat in there and let him go in and out and you could leave it in the house so he can play. You could build little ramps and such. But for the most part, basic OB work, potty and getting used to his new home.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
JesusFreak
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a beautiful Dutch Shepherd named Apache. He is about a year old. I am doing obedience/agility since he was young, and recently have been working with him for SAR. I also have a small terrier mix who hate everything that moves except me, and the family also has a Doxipoo and cats. I raise many farm animal as well.

Post by JesusFreak »

Thanks guys!! He is actually closer to the 8 week old period, we are having to drive a while, and so have to get him a little before (2 days) he turns 8 weeks old (ya know, working out logistics and stuff to get there). I think i will just introduce him to the equipment for agility for now, and focus more on bonding and socializing. :) Thanks!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

good plan, now, dont forget to put up lots and lots of pictures!!!
ImageImage
JesusFreak
Just Whelped

Post by JesusFreak »

Well i got him a few days ago and am totally in love! He is so precious...and so smart! I am constantly amazed at how fast he picks up on things! After just a few short happy car rides, he has already stopped yelling in the car. He was scared of cars because i had to drive 4 hours away to pick him up, and so that was a bit tough on him. Here are some pics of him :) His name is Apache.

Also quick question, i was wondering what you guys do to teach bite inhibition. I have been telling him no and then giving him a toy to chew on, but was wondering how you did it and any ideas/tips you have. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2729.JPG
IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Omg!!!!! He is adorable. So....let the adventures begin. Lol.

As for bite inhibition, I would redirect, redirect, redirect. It took awhile for Xander to figure it out. I also taught him the word kisses when he licked me. Then if he bit at me I would say kisses and he would lick instead of bite. I will say that he never quit biting completely but now his bites are very gentle and only playful. Usually he "bites" when I'm rubbing his belly and he will grab my hand and pull it to the spot he wants scratched.

Keep us posted on his progress and you can never post to many pics.
Karen & Xander
JesusFreak
Just Whelped

Post by JesusFreak »

lol, he is to cute! Thanks!! That is a good idea about teaching him kisses...Thanks! i will do more pics later!!
Hey, got any good name suggestions? Apache is not final, if you have any good ones i would be happy to hear them! I like the name apache, but it is a little hard to say :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Do what momma dog does, hold his mouth closed with your hand. Thalie does this to Sadie all of the time, when Thalie wants Sadie to stop doing something, like barking or licking her, she puts Sadies muzzle in her mouth and holds it.

he is toooooooooooooooooooooo Cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImage