Small appetite while teething?!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
MarielandRahla
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi! My name is Mariel and I recently became the proud proud proud and lucky owner of Rahla, a 12 week old Dutchie. She came from a rescue in California, and now resides here in Alaska with me, my boyfriend and our 3 roommates. She is everything Ive ever wanted, after tireless research on finding the perfect breeder, I was so blessed to find her at a rescue 1hour away from my mom in California. She was shipped up to me and we now live in hilarious puppy bliss.

Small appetite while teething?!

Post by MarielandRahla »

Hi there, Rahla is about 14 weeks now, I got her at about 12 weeks and she was already starting the teething process then. She hasn't been a huge eater since I got her, but it seems to really be dropping off lately, no matter what I do to make her food more tempting! A lot of what I've read says that this can happen during teething, I'm just wondering if anyone's had this experience with this breed specifically. She was waaayy skinny when I adopted her, and although she's still very lanky, she seems to be at a healthy puppy weight now. She just kinda picks at her food a bit and walks away. Still normal poops and everything, I just figured she'd be a bit more voracious about food at this growing age!! Thanks guys.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Small appetite while teething?!

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Have you tried softening the kibble by adding water? Or a little bit of yogurt? If she's teething hard maybe moving to a wet food for a week or two would help. As long as the vet says theres no parasites or worms or anything and she's normal energy, not lethargic or seems off, I wouldn't worry unless you see decreased energy and rapid weight loss. Nothing hurt my guy when he was teething. What are you feeding her now?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
liltex789
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi there! Just rescued this sweet pup didn't think he was anything but a mutt until his ears started to go up and realized he might be a Dutch mix. My grandparents raised Belgian Malinois. In the past I have had cattle dogs and am looking forward to another intelligent dog!

Re: Small appetite while teething?!

Post by liltex789 »

Our puppy had the same issue. I have been making his dog food and mixing it with the dry but as his adult teeth start coming in he only licks up the homemade as it is soft. You might be able to call your vet and describe what is going on and they could tell you if you need to come in :)