Ears and Weight :)

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
summiew1980
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello I am from TN. I have a Male Dutch that I just love so much!

Ears and Weight :)

Post by summiew1980 »

Hello! I have a Male Dutch that is 4 1/2 months old. Beautiful!!! In love with this boy. However, before teething ears never stood for a long period of time. They were up and down . Now with him teething they of course are down or stick straight off his head. Lol! Then up and down. Should I worry? His ears are longer. Could that be the problem? They will go up for a moment, then down. Then stick straight out. :lol: Is there a supplement I could give him to help his ears out?
Also, he is about 43 - 45 pounds. His Parents come from a beautiful working line. Dad 75 , Mother about 55. How big should I expect him to be. He was the smaller of the pups. He is very healthy and active. Not over weight at all. In fact he is so active, I have a hard time keeping weight on him....this is my first dutch, so I am anxious of course with questions. The picture below was about 2 months ago. He is a lot bigger now.
Thank you for the time to read this.
Attachments
received_1079207812129533.jpeg
received_1079207535462894.jpeg
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Re: Ears and Weight :)

Post by k9lexi »

He is beautiful love his coat color and eye color! I can't even remember when Lexi s ears went up but she hold them down and back quite a bit. My friend thought it was odd when we walked our dogs and she saw her ears back down against her head. If something gets her attention they are back up. I don't remember seeing her ears out to the side like your pic but I just don't worry about it too much. She has always been the first dog in the house to hear when someone is coming up to the house or something like that ... so as long as they are working, I'm happy! :D
summiew1980
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello I am from TN. I have a Male Dutch that I just love so much!

Post by summiew1980 »

Thank you! All the litter mates are up except Capones. Lol. I am just very concerned that they won't go up. They go up and down. He is beautiful and wonderful....regardless
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

There are lots of posts in threads on this. You can try an advanced search.

Most, if not all, find the ears come up just fine on their own when it's time (when the body isn't using energy for other development).

Cute pup!! Up or down, floppin' around or alert and rigid...you gotta love the Dutch ears.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Moving post to "Puppies."
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Going to second Raven, there are a ton of posts about ears and puppies already. If you still have not found your answer, we would be glad to help.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Here's a good past post regarding ears.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers