How much exercise is safe?!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

How much exercise is safe?!

Post by brindledog »

Grendel is now 14 weeks old. I got her titer tested and she is now fully immunized after two sets of shots. Yay!

She went on her first outside walk the other evening. And she walked quite a bit. We came home. She chased the cat all over. I took her to the park (on leash), she chased dogs. I walked her to the store, we came home, she ran all over the house.

Today was the same. I have read that a small puppy should not walk very far or for very long as it can mess up their bones and joints. But then what do I do with all this energy?!

I walk 8-10 miles a day on average. I know I can't have her doing that! But how much is ok?

I've called the holistic vet for guidance, but have yet to hear back.

Anyone have an answer?

Thanks!

Lisa
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: How much exercise is safe?!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Search around the other posts, I know there was just a post about this. Def no jumping though.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

I don't know the answer to your question but it sounds like she is continuing her exercise even when you think it should stop. Similarly, I don't walk or exercise my dogs an hour before or after eating I had an Akita with bloat years ago, emergency surgery, she recovered . So I feed my dogs, one in the backyard and my dutchie in a big kennel. Neighbor dog comes down along the fence line, all dogs excited, and Lexi is running circles around the kennel after eating I'm sure same thing happens when I feed breakfast and leave for work. Unless I crate her, I really don't have a lot of control to restrict activity. Maybe chasing a cat around the house is different on their body than a long walk.
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

Arrgh! The jumping thing really worries me as the dog park has picnic tables and Grendel kept climbing to the top of one trying to get away from other dogs. Before I could stop her she had jumped to the concrete ground from on top the table. She did this a few times before I could stop her.
She gets really nervous/fearful around alot of dogs.
I am going to have to keep her under better control while at the dog park. :(
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would stay away from dog parks, they cause more harm than good.

If she jumps up, to get away, then its too scary for her. You dont want to get her so scared that she wont want to be around anyone and then she may start growling and biting. Listen to her.
ImageImage
brindledog
Puppy

Post by brindledog »

She calmed down within 10 mins. I'm concerned about her socialization as she hides behind a chair at puppy class. I even bought a stroller to get her out before she was immunized, which really helped. She's not afraid of street noise, bikes, etc. And she's better with people, including kids. But she'll bark at random people and doesn't like small dogs. At the park she was scared, but once she calmed down she went to the biggest dog there, a giant malamute, and tried to play with him.
I'm not sure how to get her dog socialized if not at park. The puppy class is miserable for her.
Suggestions welcome.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I am not a fan of dog parks and advise people to not go. What about the town you live in? I live in a quiet town with tons of other parks and places to go. My town is quiet too with alot of sidewalks.

Why do you want her to get along with everyone? This is a herding breed that is not meant to be social.

I would take Sadie to town and walk and when people approached, I would go to the side and put her in a sit and have her look at me. I want them to more ignore them than get along with them. Sadie will never be like Thalie, go running happily to everyone, and I respect that. I dont want her to anyway. They are to protect the herd, not be every ones friend.

I know we are getting away from your original question of exercise. Did you do a search? I know someone just mentioned it.

Found it, Kira posted it. The rough rule is 5 minutes of exercise per month of age.
ImageImage
brindledog
Puppy

Post by brindledog »

I did find it. I also heard back from the holistic vet. She said 20 minute walk fine, then home for rest. Then more walks/play as desired but with rest periods between.

As for the socialization-I'll see how it goes. I don't need Grendel to be everyone's friend, but I don't want her fearful, either. Or like my neighbor's Mal and DS, who bark at the neighbor's kids, everyone that parks on the street, and everyone walking by. Since we live on the same block as a school, that type of behavior is not desirable.

I live in a small city, and there are alot of dogs in my neighborhood. I don't want to be the obnoxious dog owner with the always barking, unfriendly dog. Plus, she is going to be accompanying me everywhere, including on public transportation, while traveling, etc. I want her to be as calm and well-mannered in those situations as possible.

Sorry-This is way off topic!

Lisa
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I know we're getting off topic a little, but I don't think it's all bad.

Be careful of your own signals causing issues. If you're nervous she'll pick up on that.

As for the exercise, there's a general rule, and then there's your puppy's personal needs/capabilities. I'm thinking tug is a great way to burn lots of energy.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Yup, 5 minutes per month of age. I used it as a guide for official walking time per day (since that was fairly continuous motion) or anything with lengthened duration without stops (like running at a park). Obviously with high energy and high drive you can't say "okay, twenty minutes you're done for the day!" They would bust that an hour after waking up and you'd be left locking yourself in the liquor closet. ;) The rest of the time we were indoors doing fun stuff or out exploring which was stop and go movement so less harsh on joints, and plenty of rest in-between.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)