My blue Dutch "Patton" (born 11/29/16)

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

My blue Dutch "Patton" (born 11/29/16)

Post by Patrick »

Maybe I should have named him "Trouble". Ha ha!

Attachments
16508988_1262978530462317_7629756382005716187_n.jpg
16711630_1262978800462290_7959651805723792125_n.jpg
16683952_1262978907128946_659290574174268899_n.jpg
16602754_1262980780462092_7413683778907187281_n.jpg
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: My 10 week blue Dutch "Patton"

Post by centrop67 »

... with a capital T probably.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

centrop67 wrote:... with a capital T probably.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
And thank you for this great community!
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

He's now 14 weeks of age and about 26 pounds. I'm guessing he'll be in the 55-60 pound range, despite my breeder telling me he'll be about 70 pounds. Ha ha.

He's demonstrated some handler-aggression with me. I have been firm with him when he exhibited such behavior. I liken it to a spoiled brat. Ha ha! As he matures and him and I bond, expect that behavior to be curtailed, although I know the "come to Jesus" moment is coming when he will need to understand that I AM THE BOSS! I've now had him a month and I've done ZERO training with him and have focused on housebreaking, socialization and conditioning him to different sounds, environments, etc. Once I begin training I'll keep it light, fun and positive. But the day will come when I will use compulsion if he does not obey immediately. Of course, compulsion will NEVER be used unless and until he 100% understands the command.

Today I took him for a long walk and he was biting the leash. I calmly and firmly said "Pfui!" and, when he persisted (as I knew he would) I restated "Pfui!" and then proceeded to take his mouth off the collar. He basically bit me. At that I grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and put him on his back while firmly repeating "Pfui that! Pfui that!". Then I let him up. I gently said "He's ok" and we continued the walk. He didn't bite the leash again. A bit later he was cuddling with me on my lap and I was petting him, talking sweet to him and loving on him. He was licking my face.

Like I said, I haven't started training but that doesn't mean there are no boundaries, especially biting me! Ha ha!

I have also been socializing him with some dogs at well-to-do dog parks, meaning, no dirtbags. He's done well. Yesterday I took him to play with my ex-wife's Jack Russell terrier mix, Chico. They had played once before and it was great. Basically, Chico would run and Patton would chase him to no avail. The exercise is great for both dogs. That was a week ago. Yesterday, we got them together again. This time Patton was demonstrating dominance and playing very rough. When Chico (3 years) objected to his rough play, Patton attacked him and grabbed a hold of his back. It took some serious effort for me to release Chico from Patton's jaws. Fortunately for Chico, Patton only ripped out a mouth full of fur. He wasn't bleeding or otherwise injured, thank God. But that means, no more playing other dogs. He doesn't know how to play. It's in his genetics. I once had a really nice German Shepherd protection dog. He was a GREAT dog but he couldn't play with others either. It started as play but then it would get rough and then it would be a fight. That happened once and once only, but not as severe has what transpired yesterday. Live and learn.
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

March 4, 2017
March 4, 2017
2017 March 4.jpg (161.72 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

At Lowe's March 4, 2017.
2017 March 4 Lowes.jpg
2017 March 4 Lowes.jpg (115.17 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

Patton's namesake!
General George Patton
General George Patton
General Patton.jpg (10.65 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

just a heads up -- id be very very careful with the flipping/scruffing, or even just the goal of "I AM THE BOSS". ive found mine and demons relationship to work well and blossom with the idea that we're both friends and have mutual respect for one another rather than me trying to be dominant over him (this is only for demon, koda the malamute responds very well to dominance and a more "pack" orientated mindset), he does what i ask of him and behaves (mostly) and i respect his boundaries/he knows he can trust me completely.

he'll be very big soon and the flipping ect could be interpreted as a threat or damage your bond (you could also end up being badly injured). i did the flipping thing with demon very early on as a pup and i have some scars, but he was a very very intense dog that didnt like human contact at all until he was about a year old (i had to condition him with food to even like being touched or petted over months) id hope your pup is friendlier and you wont have any issues though :) :DSangel:
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

cordeliandemon wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 am just a heads up -- id be very very careful with the flipping/scruffing, or even just the goal of "I AM THE BOSS". ive found mine and demons relationship to work well and blossom with the idea that we're both friends and have mutual respect for one another rather than me trying to be dominant over him (this is only for demon, koda the malamute responds very well to dominance and a more "pack" orientated mindset), he does what i ask of him and behaves (mostly) and i respect his boundaries/he knows he can trust me completely.

he'll be very big soon and the flipping ect could be interpreted as a threat or damage your bond (you could also end up being badly injured). i did the flipping thing with demon very early on as a pup and i have some scars, but he was a very very intense dog that didnt like human contact at all until he was about a year old (i had to condition him with food to even like being touched or petted over months) id hope your pup is friendlier and you wont have any issues though :) :DSangel:
Thanks for the feedback, but when they bite the handler, the handler needs to make it clear that biting them will NOT be tolerated. I am the leader of the pack and he MUST submit to met. No ifs ands or buts. :)
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

This is video of Patton's mother...Blue Isis.

https://youtu.be/-N7ZIFu5VxY
Patrick
Puppy

Re: My blue Dutch "Patton" (born 11/29/16)

Post by Patrick »

Patton's mother:

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dutch_s ... 53360-isis
Blue Isis.jpg
Blue Isis.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

Patton's father, who is NOT on the pedigree database.
Chaos.jpg
Chaos.jpg (109.07 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
Chaos Pedigree.jpg
Chaos Pedigree.jpg (19.3 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Ahhhhh I'm well aware of this breeding. I don't know your background or history handling working breed dogs but I'll say this: the DS have a peculiar habit of flipping things on their head that we may perhaps have once known as one thing. Good luck on your adventure and the best for the 6-15 month period. :)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:27 am Ahhhhh I'm well aware of this breeding.
Yea? How so? Do you know the breeder?
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

Here he is pulling on my shorts a couple of days ago. He bites anything that moves! Ha ha!
2017 March 17.jpg
2017 March 17.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

Here he is a few days ago after taking a bottle of water from his Grandma (my Mom). Ha ha!
2017 March 13.jpg
2017 March 13.jpg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

So you got him from Van Guard k9, cool.
You should never scruff him and flip him over like that. That doesn't teach the dog a damn thing, only to not trust you. It's like smacking a baby for crying. There's better ways to teach him not to bite you. Also, don't bring him around other dogs, it only teaches him to pay attention to dogs and not to you.
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

Tyler Durden wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 pm So you got him from Van Guard k9, cool.
You should never scruff him and flip him over like that. That doesn't teach the dog a damn thing, only to not trust you. It's like smacking a baby for crying. There's better ways to teach him not to bite you. Also, don't bring him around other dogs, it only teaches him to pay attention to dogs and not to you.
Thanks for the feedback!
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

March 19, 2017. He'll be 4 months of age in 10 days.
2017 March 19.jpg
2017 March 19.jpg (159.41 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I know very well of the dogs he produces, the lines, and other detailed information from my experience. Let's just say that your post on Owners of Dutch Shepherds about the dog going for the neck isn't an isolated incident, and while I could not pull out the specifics on the trigger or if it was a stand alone incident, let's just say it was not a shock considering the lines your pup comes from.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)