Leading collar?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Leading collar?

Post by Joxgirl »

What type of a training collar is advisable for a 10 week old? Someone is getting more ideas of her own and not always willing to follow me when we are out walking in the backyard. She has time to explore and I sometimes will follow her lead to see what my eyes have missed all this time, but this is at a time of play.
I don't want to pull on Rogue by her collar because it really isn't working for one and I don't think it's what I'm supposed to be doing.
Would her halter be better for leading her in?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Leading collar?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

No!!!! Halters mask the behavior don't train and they suck big balls!!! Honestly the dog shouldn't be receiving any corrections at all till she understands what you are asking of her! I'd hire a trainer to work with you on obedience! Cause you're gonna have a lot of issues as this dog ages if not
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 am No!!!! Halters mask the behavior don't train and they suck big balls!!! Honestly the dog shouldn't be receiving any corrections at all till she understands what you are asking of her! I'd hire a trainer to work with you on obedience! Cause you're gonna have a lot of issues as this dog ages if not
Thanks Steve. I will look for an obedience trainer. We know a few guys who have mentioned they are willing to help. All of them are K9 handlers.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:23 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 am No!!!! Halters mask the behavior don't train and they suck big balls!!! Honestly the dog shouldn't be receiving any corrections at all till she understands what you are asking of her! I'd hire a trainer to work with you on obedience! Cause you're gonna have a lot of issues as this dog ages if not
Thanks Steve. I will look for an obedience trainer. We know a few guys who have mentioned they are willing to help. All of them are K9 handlers.
I wouldn't take much advise from k9 handlers most of them received a trained dog and don't really know the process of training a pet dog.... I'd look more for a working dog guy that does pet training! I run a pet training business on top of competing in schutzhund and so does dutchgirl... there are people out there that know the breed and understand the pet world... k9 handlers aren't them
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

I'd call around get evaluations and talk to the people and ask questions! Get someone that comes to your home and does the training and give you homework! I do 16 week puppy courses in the home and train the dog fully on and off leash and fix all behavior issues... that's really what you need... not a place you go for obedience classes or a buddy that is a k9 handler
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

I actually just got a call and am going to go do an eval for an 8 month Dutchie in a pet home for training! Lol
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:36 pm I actually just got a call and am going to go do an eval for an 8 month Dutchie in a pet home for training! Lol
awesome!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Took her home for a board and train!!!
Attachments
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (162.04 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (136.11 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (160.89 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:36 pm I actually just got a call and am going to go do an eval for an 8 month Dutchie in a pet home for training! Lol
Wish you were here in Cali.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Cute dog.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Lol. That ball looks like every single one in my yard.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 am
Where are you in cali? I can set you up with a great trainer
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

she is beautiful Steve!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 am
Where are you in cali? I can set you up with a great trainer
I'm in Orange County.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I'd trust you with a board and train, Steve! I wouldn't say that about any ol board and train either!