What is the best way to tape ears?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

What is the best way to tape ears?

Post by Tyler Durden »

Hi,
My pup is a bit over 5.5 months and one of his ears just does not want to stand up. I noticed it has a crease in the lower outer edge and if I push out the crease with my finger the ear stands. They are pretty big. I will probably use the foam insulation method unless someone has a better idea. Also very important: do I have to tape both ears together? because one of his ears stands up perfectly, and I'm pretty sure if I just tape one ear the weight of it will still make it flop to the side a bit. Taping both will probably offer better support?
Any info would be great.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: What is the best way to tape ears?

Post by Joxgirl »

I have nothing to offer. I bet someone hear will have some advice. Best of luck to you.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

5.5 months? Patience is probably the best path
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

centrop67 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 am 5.5 months? Patience is probably the best path
The thing that bothers me is the crease, I have a friend with a Mal who has the same crease and one of his ears never stood up properly. It's up sometimes when he's really interested in something but stays down 90% of the time. If I do tape it do I have to tape both ears together? Even the "good" ear?
Bronx122316
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: USCG. KNPV Bronx (male) born 12/23/16.

Post by Bronx122316 »

Id recommend waiting little more. My boys ears fell at six months after standing up for 3 weeks. He's 7 months now and standing pretty much perfect. He also had a crease like you mentioned. I used eyelash glue and nasal strips to help support the ears. Not sure if that's what did the trick but I don't think it hurt any.
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Bronx122316 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:32 am Id recommend waiting little more. My boys ears fell at six months after standing up for 3 weeks. He's 7 months now and standing pretty much perfect. He also had a crease like you mentioned. I used eyelash glue and nasal strips to help support the ears. Not sure if that's what did the trick but I don't think it hurt any.
Did you put the nasal strips inside he ear or on the outside? And how long do they stay in without falling out?
Bronx122316
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: USCG. KNPV Bronx (male) born 12/23/16.

Post by Bronx122316 »

Inside of the ear. I shaved his ears so they would hold better. They don't last long a day or so. But I found it was the only thing my boy wouldn't notice. I heard skin bond glue would work better but I've only tried the eyelash glue.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Leave them alone and they will stand! Or breath right strips
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Teething will also cause the ears to fall.... these aren't Dobermans so you really shouldn't worry
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

isnt there a pic somewhere? when i saw the pic it looks like sadies ears, very expressive, her ears are soft and i tasped them with breath right strips but they would not stay. i took them off and was so worried but they stood.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:08 pm Teething will also cause the ears to fall.... these aren't Dobermans so you really shouldn't worry
The thing is there is this bad crease on the outer side part of the ear, it's kind of hard to explain but sometimes I "pop" out this crease and the ear stands perfectly...then any slight movement causes the crease to appear again and down goes the whole ear. It's like the cartilage is damaged, I still haven't done anything like taping or breathe right strips because people are telling me to wait, but I have seen Dutchies and Mals with a floppy ear at adult ages so I know it can happen and that has me worried. By the way, this guy will not let me tape his ears so I'm exploring faster easier options.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I think Sadie has the same crease, she folds her ears down a lot. personally I didn't find taping helpful
ImageImage
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 pm I think Sadie has the same crease, she folds her ears down a lot. personally I didn't find taping helpful
Does the ear stand sometimes and lay down when she's relaxed? His right ear is always up whether focused or relaxed, his left ear is down 90% of the time along that crease, when he sees a cat or is focused on something it stands up but barely. I think I'm going to cut out a support out of foam pipe insulation and use skin bonding adhesive to glue it to the ear. I may have a 30 second window to get it in there while he's eating :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

she is 8 now but they did finnaly stand at almost a year old. hwr ears are upright but she lays them back when she is relaxed.
ImageImage
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:26 pm she is 8 now but they did finnaly stand at almost a year old. hwr ears are upright but she lays them back when she is relaxed.
So that "rule" that says if they're not up by 6 month they're never going up isn't true?
That's a bit relieving to hear. The breeder says they should be up by 7-8 months but I'm a bit anal about the ears because all my GSD's ears were up by 4 months.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yeah, hers stood late
ImageImage
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:36 am yeah, hers stood late
Sigh, after a few weeks of this they still arent up. The cartilige is pretty week. The worst part is getting the breathe right strips in the ear, he jerks his head and it just doesnt attach. I actually think it's worse than before. Really aggravating. Has anyone ever tried those ear forms specially made for this?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tyler Durden wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:16 am
Sigh, after a few weeks of this they still arent up. The cartilige is pretty week. The worst part is getting the breathe right strips in the ear, he jerks his head and it just doesnt attach. I actually think it's worse than before. Really aggravating. Has anyone ever tried those ear forms specially made for this?
how old is he now? They will or they wont. I tried the strips and they really didnt work , Sadies flopped for a long time, she has thin Cartilage ( among other things) but they eventually stood on their own.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

It's a herding dog leave them alone and they will stand!
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:13 pm
Tyler Durden wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:16 am
how old is he now? They will or they wont. I tried the strips and they really didnt work , Sadies flopped for a long time, she has thin Cartilage ( among other things) but they eventually stood on their own.
He will be 7 months in 10 days.