Thinking about CGC

Obedience (non-protection) discussion. We have broken the two apart.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Thinking about CGC

Post by TimL_168 »

En is moderately dog aggressive, moderately leash aggressive. Her prey drive is on the high side, but not out of control (most of the time). I'm thinking about trying to work with a local trainer to put a CGC on her. Is there anything I should be aware of? The guy I'm thinking about contacting has titled dogs in IPO, so he knows the breed. It's there anything I should avoid that would be a standard approach a regular trainer would take? If the guy I'm thinking of can't make the time, I'm open to working with a pet trainer.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Thinking about CGC

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would not use a regular pet trainer. One really must know this breed or at least high drive dogs to understand how they work. En sound like Sadie. I have only trained Sadie myself and I don't take her around other dogs. I would stick with an IPO or any working trainer, Ring etc. Getting someone who can train a lab to sit is not what you want.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

En can ignore other dogs and other people. I do all of my own training, but I know it's only going to take us so far. Any idea how much harder it is for high prey drive dogs to get the CGC?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

it should be easier since this breed is a fast learner. Thalie passes like it was nothing but that was after years of Ring training LOL. For CGC it should be easy. Its good that En already ignores everything. You should be able to do the training for this yourself.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage