Working During Heat Cycle

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
tedge007
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am from Long Island NY. I Currently have two dogs, a 6 year old Female Doberman and a 10 week old female Dutch Shepherd. My dutch is a mix of Van Leeuwen and LeDobry bloodlines. She is a pistol putting it lightly, she is actually "slightly flammable" and has been since we got her at 8 weeks old. She already shows tons of prey drive, Active Aggression and Social Aggression. Never have I had a pup with nearly as much spirit as her she is going to be a very serious dog.

Working During Heat Cycle

Post by tedge007 »

Just curious to see if the working dog handlers on here generally continue to work their dogs during the heat cycles or if they keep them off the field? Mine just entered her second heat cycle and so far this one is as mild as the first as far as the bleeding goes. She seems good to go but wasnt sure what the norm is. At our club everyone keeps their dogs crated in the cars until there up so only one dog out at a time so no issues with males. Thanks .
- Tom Edge -
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Working During Heat Cycle

Post by Lauren »

There was some dog in heat (or coming into) at the herding clinic last week. It was a little distracting to some of the boys who were on the field after... but they are supposed to be concentrating, right? :whistle:

One lady was a bit upset about it (her dog wouldn't focus) and kept kind of accusing my girl of being the one, so finally I said "Get your dog, we'll do a sniff test." :roll:

Nope, not mine. But I am curious to see what the norm is.
Lauren from Western NC
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

tedge007 wrote:Just curious to see if the working dog handlers on here generally continue to work their dogs during the heat cycles or if they keep them off the field? Mine just entered her second heat cycle and so far this one is as mild as the first as far as the bleeding goes. She seems good to go but wasnt sure what the norm is. At our club everyone keeps their dogs crated in the cars until there up so only one dog out at a time so no issues with males. Thanks .
I think , in any discipline, it might just be common courtesy, to have a bitch in heat be last in line to work.
(The boys will probably still have an idea she's in the area, tho.) :twocents:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I agree with Chris. If you are going to work your dog, I would make everyone aware and then work them last. At a minimum, work them in a separate part of the training field. Just because they may not be in direct contact with another dog, doesn't mean that the boys won't smell it and obsess over it - especially if they have been bred before.

I have had females that reduce drive when in heat, so I don't bother working them. Some females that go freaking crazy when in heat. That's always fun, but my control tended to go out the window. And some females that weren't effected at all.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:lol: I remember that someone came over for a breeding once, and Nico had the pleasure of doing bitework fist and her next. It made absolutely no difference to him. The bitch arrived at about the same time as the decoy and his preference was: "wait for me honey. I am a fighter but I will be lover in five minutes. BRB"
With that being said. I would have scr*wed up (pun intended) a small article search or such that day. No doubt.

So like Christie said: it is courtesy to work the bitch away from the boys and be mindful of their boy brains.
If someone has real problems with a bitch in heat, then though your personal opinion might be that they'd better still work under distraction, it would be much classier if you skipped a week of training, instead of making that person/dog grow up. And for the bitches themselves, it is very much an individual thing. You would never know it in some, and others get squirly, or distracted or soft or what have you. Make your choices with your training group and your own bitch in mind. :twocents:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
tedge007
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am from Long Island NY. I Currently have two dogs, a 6 year old Female Doberman and a 10 week old female Dutch Shepherd. My dutch is a mix of Van Leeuwen and LeDobry bloodlines. She is a pistol putting it lightly, she is actually "slightly flammable" and has been since we got her at 8 weeks old. She already shows tons of prey drive, Active Aggression and Social Aggression. Never have I had a pup with nearly as much spirit as her she is going to be a very serious dog.

Post by tedge007 »

Thanks for the opinions. I called the group organizer friday night and he said to work her, so i brought her out yesterday and she ended up performing better then she had the week before! I was very pleased. She was amped up but also focused. As far as the boys, they all seemed like their normal selves. They are all pretty much young dogs so i guess that had alot to do with it. Thanks again..
- Tom Edge -
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Glad it went well yesterday. That may change when she gets to the "standing" part of her heat tho.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
herder
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a few MalX's and a Dutch HerderX. I live ruraly in a valley surrounded by woods and enjoy the security they provide. I spend the majority of my time with them.

Post by herder »

I often walked my females and male together when the females are in heat. I see it as a chance to work and test the male under distration. When a bitch comes into heat now he ignores them until they are receptive and only pays them attention for a couple of days. I reckon if he listens to you under that distraction he will listen to you anytime.
Rory.