Leaps and Bounds in training!

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Leaps and Bounds in training!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

At SchH this yesterday I had a very distractible dog. No focus at all! It was a bit frustrating, but I got some nice eye contact at 'Fuss' for a moment and put him up for the day. There was a new pup (9 weeks) there, and he just could not seem to get over her. Sigh.

Today however- WOW, did he make up for it! We were at a playground, lots of kids... being kids.
Koenig gave me a beautiful Platz for 3 min, 20-30 feet away. Nice Fuss, great animation... totally made up for my disappointment yesterday! I was really impressed. He can work with crazy kids around, now I've just got to get him to ignore other dogs/handlers. :roll:

During 'work' tonight. :)
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Leaps and Bounds in training!

Post by leih merigian »

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :D I love those training successes!

He is just gorgeous, BTW.

Keep that memory in your Happy Place to go to when you have another one of the....other....days :fluffy:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Leaps and Bounds in training!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

leih merigian wrote: Keep that memory in your Happy Place to go to when you have another one of the....other....days :fluffy:

It always amazes me with horses and dogs, how you can be working for a week straight on shaping a behavior, and it's just never quite there.... and all of a sudden it just CLICKS! Yes!

And thanks, I think he's pretty good lookin too! :)
Kelly
Koenig