Protection only as sport

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Olie
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Protection only as sport

Post by Olie »

Can training in protection sports build up agression in a dog?

When we complete 1st grade obedience training I would like to do some protection training (games??) with Olaf, just for fun, since there is nothing else to do where I live (no agility, flyball...nothing).

Can a dog understand its only a game or will he become a harsh guarding dog?

he is now very calm and timid with other people, he never barks at the door, and i dont need or want him to do that. As a guard dog, his presence is enough, because he is big and "dangerous" looking.

Is there a possibility of him attacking someone because he misunderstood the situation (i.e. me play-fighting with my bf etc)
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Protection only as sport

Post by Christie M »

The answer to that lies is
1 - The complete temperament of the dog
2 - The techniques and drives used to teach the protection

Many dogs are taught out of prey drive and become very equipment focused. For them, protection sport is nothing more than a game of tug of war with bigger toys. However, there are SOME prey dogs that are so intense in their drive, and enjoy the interaction and opposition with the decoy so much that they may not really care if equipment is present. But those are heavy duty dogs.

If the dog has a high level of defense, and that defense is rewarded or exploited, it will bleed over into other things.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

When I did Ring Sport, it was 90% fun and 10% just knowing my dog would act scary when me and the kids were out and about. I did RS with both of my dogs, my current DS who is super quiet and low drive and my Mal who was high drive but super sweet. We competed a lot and in the higher levels and the dogs did great in the ring and at home were wonderful and super with our new babies. My dogs are only 2 out of the huge number and our trainer knew we were having a family and wanted to compete for fun, so he picked the dogs appropriately for us. Ours would never "go after" someone, even if I did give the attack command, they would look at me like " what?" But in the ring with a decoy, its all out.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Protection sports are very contextual for the dogs, as with the example above. The equipment, the decoy wearing the equipment, being on the training field are all very heavy cues for the dogs to act a certain way.

It would be hard for a dog that is already timid and well behaved with people (if he can even do protection sports and has enough drive for it) to become nasty or people aggressive unless the dog isn't actually being trained but rather seriously abused and even then many dogs with soft characters will sooner shut down then become nasty.
Choochi
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Think of it this way, just because you do agility that doesn't mean your dog is going to start running away to run through the sewers :P
Choochi
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Choochi wrote:Think of it this way, just because you do agility that doesn't mean your dog is going to start running away to run through the sewers :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Falcone57usa
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.

Post by Falcone57usa »

I wouldn't be concerned unless your dog is already defensively aggressive. I do decoy work as a hobby for my local Schutzhund club every dog there sees me all day long and is nothing but friendly they let me pet them and handle them until I put on the sleeve then they get loud but even then there are drills where I have to drop the sleeve and step on it if they decided to run at me uncommanded. they will usually come over sniff the sleeve then look at me like "why aren't you wearing this?"

it's an excellent way to exercise and mentally stimulate your dog plus it's just plain fun.
-Duke
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Dutchringgirl wrote:
Choochi wrote:Think of it this way, just because you do agility that doesn't mean your dog is going to start running away to run through the sewers :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ivil would, I'm pretty sure... :lol: :lol:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Falcone57usa wrote:I wouldn't be concerned unless your dog is already defensively aggressive. I do decoy work as a hobby for my local Schutzhund club every dog there sees me all day long and is nothing but friendly they let me pet them and handle them until I put on the sleeve then they get loud but even then there are drills where I have to drop the sleeve and step on it if they decided to run at me uncommanded. they will usually come over sniff the sleeve then look at me like "why aren't you wearing this?"

it's an excellent way to exercise and mentally stimulate your dog plus it's just plain fun.
The thing is, you are a responsible decoy and good helper. There are too many people out there who will just "make your dog bite." And if you are new to the protection side of things, their rational can sound very convincing.

Like everyone said, if you work with someone who knows what they are doing and they keep your dog having fun in prey. If you end up with the wrong person who exploits your dogs defense, or hurts them in the name of biting......not the best situation.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Christie M wrote:
Falcone57usa wrote:I wouldn't be concerned unless your dog is already defensively aggressive. I do decoy work as a hobby for my local Schutzhund club every dog there sees me all day long and is nothing but friendly they let me pet them and handle them until I put on the sleeve then they get loud but even then there are drills where I have to drop the sleeve and step on it if they decided to run at me uncommanded. they will usually come over sniff the sleeve then look at me like "why aren't you wearing this?"

The thing is, you are a responsible decoy and good helper. There are too many people out there who will just "make your dog bite." And if you are new to the protection side of things, their rational can sound very convincing.

Like everyone said, if you work with someone who knows what they are doing and they keep your dog having fun in prey. If you end up with the wrong person who exploits your dogs defense, or hurts them in the name of biting......not the best situation.

150% agree :wtg:

@Duke: too bad you are in Tacoma, WA
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Falcone57usa
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.

Post by Falcone57usa »

Yes sadly this is true there are the clubs and trainers out there that work that way which is sad for the dogs and the sport.
-Duke