New AD dog

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Brindle
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !

UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( youngster in training )

New AD dog

Post by Brindle »

I've never seen an AD done at a trial but saw one offered not too far from me so entered Force.

Under SV Judge Raino Fluegge, we trialed this morning at the Pacific Northwest WDA Regional trial in Hubbard, OR.

Force now has his AD.
( AD = Ausdauerprüfung . It's an endurance test . )

20km running alongside a bicycle and Force was barely panting :mrgreen:
He wanted to keep going.
Me, I was ready for :pint:
Worked all night then drove 2hrs north to ride 20km in a trial with a fiesty brindle dog.
He had a great time, had to remind him NOT to bite the bike, then NOT to bite the rider :twisted:
( hmmm.... thought we had that issue fixed !!! Guess we need to do some more homework )

He was actually calm for a couple of hours afterwards. Something which is quite a rarity ( the calmness, not the having a great time as he always does that ! ).

Very intresting experience.
Judge was VERY nice and had some great comments on the nice fit Dutch Shepherd :D
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V

Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD

Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: New AD dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

:wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

awesome!! funny (i'm sure you didn't think so) that he wanted to bite the bike and rider :lol: I can just picture the face snapping like a turtle trying to get a bite!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Nice!! Congrats on getting the AD :w00t:
Sue (and Sugar)

Brindle
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !

UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( youngster in training )

Post by Brindle »

felixone123 wrote:awesome!! funny (i'm sure you didn't think so) that he wanted to bite the bike and rider :lol: I can just picture the face snapping like a turtle trying to get a bite!!
Turtle with attitude !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Caught me by suprize as he hasn't tried to bite the bike since earlier this year when I first introduced him to it. Redirecting to me wasn't appreciated :evil: Though we did give the judge something to laugh about.

You know how it goes ......... you think you've fixed something in training .......
..... and then you trial :wall:

Dutch Shepherd = Trial Entertainment in a brindle package !!!
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V

Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD

Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

:wtg:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

That's great! Congrats. UV (= AD) is not an uncommon title in Holland. For KNPV, you are also required to ride a bike, dog heeling alongside. And then, we used to do it anyway to build stamina. But keeping that up at this side of the pond was an entirely different ball of wax. Let's just say that it got old to have to try to carry a baseball bat to convince other dogs not to chase you. :evil: And riding around your own grassy yard is greatly overrated. End of that experiment. :doh:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Congrats on the AD! Probably more congrats to YOU for lasting the entire way than Force. LOL

I agree with Judith. I was training Vada for it years ago. We got charged by a black lab (with painted toe nails) in the middle of a road - it came off it's front porch and ran into the road. Vada jumped away from it which meant across my front tire. I was holding her leash so the handle bars turned with her and turned the tire sideways and I went over the handle bars and splatted on the road. Totally scraped up my arm. I have a lovely big scar now to remind me of that black lab with painted toe nails.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

whahaha, adding to that: Holland is flat... No big deal riding a bike. I remember saying to people in Germany that had a slightly overweight dog to ride the bike more.... I took it back when I went to visit...even the car had trouble getting up those slopes :lol: :lol:

I ride the bike every morning here, to dogs alongside. I kick some little dogs away every now and then, but most got the point by now, do NOT approach us... :dsangry: :dssmile:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Congratulations on acquiring the AD!! :wtg:

Did the AD with my now passed German Shepherd quite a few years ago. We trained on a 1/4 mile jogging track at a local elementary school yard that was fenced so it worked perfectly without other dogs charging us, and not having to dodge traffic.

Not so sure I could do it again now though. :D

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I actually thought that having a kicky horse might be a good tool to clear a road for passing bikes with dogs. One well aimed hoof might teach a dog not to give chase. But then again....the dogs would see a bike, figure that's not a horse and not be able to resist the temptation of the chase. I hate not being able to ride, but Marjolein is correct about hills (phew) and Denise has a point about the jogging track, but that is far and away from the house. The problem of being chased here is many times greater than in Europe, but loose dogs (in the country) are a common thing. And loose dogs? Chase loose bikes. :(
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:The problem of being chased here is many times greater than in Europe, but loose dogs (in the country) are a common thing. And loose dogs? Chase loose bikes. :(
We get chased by loose dogs...mainly the hunting dogs (Duitse Draadhaar) and they like to chase. But I have learned to kick them while biking,or use my voice to make them turn back around. Only problem is, is when Ivil is almost in, or just passed her heat :? We still like to go bike riding then, but we avoid certain farms :mrgreen: That would give really weird puppies :roll: They'd definately would be good chicken hunters :dschick: :dssmile:
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

And, it's the same damn thing for people just walking their dogs down a country road.

Congrats, Jenny and Force on the AD!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...