Training today!

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Training today!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

We're on week 4 of Koenig's SchH training. This was his second time on a sleeve.

He was doing wonderful runaways by the end of the afternoon! The first time scared the crud out of me. I wasn't positive he was going to go for the sleeve (but he did, and hit it beautifully. Hard, Fast, and Full) Gave our trainer a run for his money... my 80lb DS hits a bit harder then his 65lb Mali-gator, and his 60lb DS bitch. :D The trainer was raving about Koe the whole day.

I was SO proud. Thats all. Just wanted to share our success. (I'm sure I'll be back soon enough to share a failure. lol)

We're planning on going for our BH this spring. I need to start looking into trials, and really work on extended down-stays!
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Training today!

Post by leih merigian »

:stickman: :stickman: :stickman:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Black Mal
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!

I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure.

Post by Black Mal »

I need to work on bite work! Good to hear. We just signed up to work with Lisa Maze of Mutamorphasis for our technical training. She breeds Loups du Soleil malinois with Michael Ellis. Spit fire of a woman with awesome dogs I'm
Stoked!
Kat

Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by turnnburn52984 »

How exciting!!!
Kelly
Koenig
Brindle
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !

UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( youngster in training )

Post by Brindle »

Hi Kelly,
I know it's not technically 'spring' but there is tentively a WDA trial being planned for the end of Jan 2011 in the Woodburn, OR area if you're up for a road trip ;)
*If* the trial gets confirmed I'll let you know.
I'm hoping to get Force's BH there if the trial ends up being a go ( we're also working on our long 'graze' ummm... I mean down ) and know of one other DS that'll probably be entered too.
Would be awesome to have 3 DS at a trial if it works out.
Jenny
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V

Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD

Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Oh wow! If it's a go, we might head down just to get the experience. I'm not sure we'll be ready in Jan.... our long graze is exactly that, right now. :) Woodburn is semi-close to Portland, correct?
Kelly
Koenig
Brindle
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !

UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD

Post by Brindle »

Yes, Woodburn is on the south side of Portland.
I'll let you know as soon as I hear if the trial is a for sure thing.
3 DS that'd be an awesome showing !!!
:D
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V

turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

That'd be a pretty good representation of the Brindles!

Proper etiquette question.... If we are not ready to trial, is it frowned upon to bring a dog in training? Would it be OK to bring Koe just for the experience? We'll prolly come anyhow- but it'd be GREAT exposure for him to tag along. Dogs around that are not our normal bunch of training buddies. You know what I mean, I'm sure. :)
Advice, anyone? We're so new to the sport, I want to ask rather then annoy someone.
Kelly
Koenig
Brindle
Green Dog

Post by Brindle »

It depends on the club.
*some* clubs only allow trial entered dogs on the grounds on trial day.
If you're thinking about coming down to cheer on the DS entries in Jan ( *if* the trial is a go ) the club has in the past had no problems with none entered dogs on the grounds.
I've visited several trials to watch. For me , I show respect to the dogs working ( the handlers are stressed enough ) and don't get my dogs out while the entrants are working. I break my dogs away from the trial area during breaks between phases if needed. Once lunch break is announced I check with the trial secretary if it's ok to bring my dog(s) out and mingle ( mingle = work on a few fun exercises around strange people in a strange place ;) )
I've so far never had an issue and not been allowed to have my dog(s) out under those circumstances.
After all, those 'in training' visitors are potential future trial entries :D . The clubs in my area are small and welcome all the support & entries they can get.

FoxTal Dogs
Just Whelped

Post by FoxTal Dogs »

Black Mal wrote:I need to work on bite work! Good to hear. We just signed up to work with Lisa Maze of Mutamorphasis for our technical training. She breeds Loups du Soleil malinois with Michael Ellis. Spit fire of a woman with awesome dogs I'm
Stoked!
Will look forward to hearing all about your training! Lisa is a very talented trainer!
Debra Krsnich
www.foxtal.com
"Train Hard or Go Home"