When to start bite training?

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

When to start bite training?

Post by Tennessee3 »

What's ya'lls thoughts on when you start bite training?

What things do you look for to know the dog is ready or do you simply wait until they're a certain age?

Do you think starting earlier is detrimental for Dutchies/Mals? (I'm referring more to the fact that they develop faster than GSDs so they CAN start earlier in theory but SHOULD they?)

Has it been your experience that working with multiple decoys is a bad idea?
(I'm guessing the answer will probably be roughly "as a pup learning the foundations yes, as an adult it's something you need/want to do")

Any other general thoughts on the matter you'd like to share are welcome!

Reminder as I haven't been around in awhile, I've got a 6 month old KNPV lines Malinois puppy. I've got an amazing Schutzhund trainer & separate helper, who've qualified to an international level & competed at an international level as handlers respectively). They're mainly GSD people but they know Mals as well, problem is it's 50 minutes away and it's been nearly impossible to coordinate with the helper without taking PTO. I'm currently not a member of the Club they run, should be getting membership next year so that's not an option for the time being.

On the other hand, there's a training facility 50 minutes away that breeds & trains up young imports to work as executive personal protection dogs (25-50k :eek:). They have staff on hand that are experienced in training sport dogs, pets, personal protection dogs etc. And I plan to work with them to develop my dog for some personal protection tasks once I've put an IPO1 on him. Building search, the FR guard etc. (Just letting you know why I'd even consider them vs my current trainer). And they offer bite work time from Sunup to sundown every wednesday. Which would be a hell of alot more convenient!

But I don't know enough to know if it's a good idea. Thanks in advance as always everyone!
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: When to start bite training?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve is the one to go to, Check out Leerburg to see what he does. Multiple decoys should be fine, we worked with plenty. you can start young as play with tugs but I would not start until you have a good grasp as how to so you do not kill the drive.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Starting young is bad unless you have someone that doesnt rush them and builds them... honestly work with one person and one program to develope the dog and then once all the foundation is done and the program is solid then you move on and work with other helpers.... bouncing from program to program fucks up the dog! Stick with one thing of your goal is ipo1 go to the IPO club and let them build the foundation and training and once you get that then start working with other guys! Too many people want to do too much too soon and it fucks up dogs! Find one really good person and build the dogs foundation and training and accomplish one goal at a time!
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:24 pm Starting young is bad unless you have someone that doesnt rush them and builds them... honestly work with one person and one program to develope the dog and then once all the foundation is done and the program is solid then you move on and work with other helpers.... bouncing from program to program fucks up the dog! Stick with one thing of your goal is ipo1 go to the IPO club and let them build the foundation and training and once you get that then start working with other guys! Too many people want to do too much too soon and it fucks up dogs! Find one really good person and build the dogs foundation and training and accomplish one goal at a time!
Yeah yeah yeah Steve, always with the good advice I don’t wanna hear. :roll:

Lol

Thanks Steve :mrgreen:
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Tennessee3 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:15 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:24 pm Starting young is bad unless you have someone that doesnt rush them and builds them... honestly work with one person and one program to develope the dog and then once all the foundation is done and the program is solid then you move on and work with other helpers.... bouncing from program to program fucks up the dog! Stick with one thing of your goal is ipo1 go to the IPO club and let them build the foundation and training and once you get that then start working with other guys! Too many people want to do too much too soon and it fucks up dogs! Find one really good person and build the dogs foundation and training and accomplish one goal at a time!
Yeah yeah yeah Steve, always with the good advice I don’t wanna hear. :roll:

Lol

Thanks Steve :mrgreen:
Yoda is a direct example of patience