Drives?

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!

Re: Drives?

Post by DogGirl_95 »

Christie M wrote:I think that describing dogs as high or low drive as a generalization doesn't really do things justice. The topic of drives is hotly debated on working dog forums constantly.

Some dogs show high prey drive, but still come in the house and lay quietly chewing on a bone. I think that drives could be thought of as instinct, but more as a natural response to a specific stimulus that people have categorized.

Prey drive - the desire to catch kill something (be it a tug, a moving ball, a moving decoy, a running human, a rabbit...). I also think that prey drive has been altered in its representation in many breeds - ie, pointing or herding.

Defense drive - a forward response to perceived threat.

Fight Drive / Non-classical prey - there is a ton of debate as to whether this is a seperate "drive" or not. I won't wager an opinion, but it refers to the dogs desire to stay in the situation (a bite typically) simply because they are stimulated by the interaction/fight with the opponent.

But there is also ball drive, and hunt drive, and food drive, and.....LOL.

For what you are looking for, I think you would want a dog with high prey & food drive (handy for agility, obedience and stable protection work). Depending on the level of competition, a moderate level of defense is preferred by many, but not required for most sports. There are many lines that show "high drive" on the field, but are very livable at home. Other "low drive" dogs (when referring to work) wreck havoc at the house. Energy level does not always equate to drive.

Maybe another way to think about it is intensity. A high prey drive dog becomes intently focused on the prey object. A low prey drive dog won't care about a tug flapping around in their face. But may still run circles with energy. LOL.

Ofcourse, then there is the topic of confidence and how that effects the presentation of drives.....

How's that for clear as mud?

Thank you for clearing that up for me it was very informative. I know dog definatly has Food drive Lol.
Caitlin Beaumont
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

Schlussdibusti wrote:And just to make it more confusing....

how you gonna predict the drive of an 8 week old puppy? Those drives develop at different ages, no way of telling what you will get when the cute little dude looks at you at the breeder! Unless it's one of those little van Leeuwen devils hanging in your legs already :mrgreen:

For me personally, I like the calm and confident, a little bit underestimated but kicking a.. when needed. And I like dog trainers/decoys who bring out the best in a dog, even if it means more work and effort.

This is how a calm/confident puppy , in my opinion, looks like (caution: totally subjective! :mrgreen: )
IMG_0009.jpg

Lol That was exactly what I was thinking. Do you think If I get a puppy from where the Dam And Sire have the right High Drives that I will have a better chance of having a High drive puppy?
Caitlin Beaumont
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

DogGirl_95 wrote:
Schlussdibusti wrote:And just to make it more confusing....

how you gonna predict the drive of an 8 week old puppy? Those drives develop at different ages, no way of telling what you will get when the cute little dude looks at you at the breeder! Unless it's one of those little van Leeuwen devils hanging in your legs already :mrgreen:

For me personally, I like the calm and confident, a little bit underestimated but kicking a.. when needed. And I like dog trainers/decoys who bring out the best in a dog, even if it means more work and effort.

This is how a calm/confident puppy , in my opinion, looks like (caution: totally subjective! :mrgreen: )
IMG_0009.jpg

Lol That was exactly what I was thinking. Do you think If I get a puppy from where the Dam And Sire have the right High Drives that I will have a better chance of having a High drive puppy?
I think you need to get with a breeder that you trust and take their opinion on it. Hopefully, they know their stock and have enough experience with their puppies that they can help you make a good match. Overall, a confident pup that plays with you (not just the other pups), will chase and pick things up and will engage in some light tugging is a good indication of a potential working dog. I like to look at puppies separate from each other in a new environment. It doesn't bother me if a puppy startles, but I want to see quick recovery.

So, seeing the parents will help. Knowing the blood line will help. Having a good breeder who has known them and interacted with them since birth will help. And at the end of the day - puppies are somewhat of a crap shoot.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Jason Davis
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I compete in FR and own a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sniper

Post by Jason Davis »

Christie makes a very good point. As a new comer into the working dog world, it's best to find a trustworthy breeder, tell them your intensions for the dog, then let them do the rest. It's even better if you train with the breeder because if the dog turns out to be junk, you can blame it on them!!!;-) In all seriousness, look up Joey Leigh. He's an accomplished Schutzhund trainer and is now playing I'm FR. He's a very talented trainer and he knows his blood lines quite well and can help steer you in the right direction. Good luck!