Schutzhund vs. Ring

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Schutzhund vs. Ring

Post by Schlussdibusti »

While watching the pics of Sniper & Jason, I thought it looks like more fun for the dog than Schutzhund. The dogs are not presented like "circus horses". That's how it looks to me lately in SCH when the dogs heel with their heads twisted upward all the times. 25 years ago it wasn't that extreme.

And it may be better for the hips too, i.e. biting low vs. having to "dance" around on it's hind legs while in the arm sleeve. Any thoughts.............?
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Schutzhund vs. Ring

Post by Christie M »

I think that both sports have merit and both have aspects that can be physically taxing on the dog. French Ring has a long jump, high jump and palisade - which can be as high as 7 1/2 feet, straight vertical up and down.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Jason Davis
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I compete in FR and own a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sniper

Post by Jason Davis »

I respect both sports greatly. As far as which sport is harder on the dog physically, FR hands down. At high level of competition, the jumps are far more taxing as are the apprehension exercises. FRIII, the dogs are out there 45min straight with no breaks in between, unlike Schutzhund. I prefer FR because I find it more of a challenge to the dog during the agility and the protection. I respect Sch for the tracking (cause god knows I'm not waking up at 5:30 in the am to track my dog before work) and the precise obedience expected. The protection bores the snot out of me because in Sch3, it's four bites on a presented sleeve and in FRIII, it's 13 bites on an entire suit while the decoy is doing everything in his power (outside of the rules many times) to keep the dog from biting and sending it back to his owner with a 0. I train both in Sch and in FR, but only compete in FR so my opinion on Sch only goes so far. Unless you've actually been out there and competed, you don't truly know.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

FR is alot of fun. Looking at Jasons pictures, I miss it. I trained both of my dogs only to FRII and had no plan to go to III it was very taxing on the dog. The exercises are very cool and fun. I have never worked Sch and dont plan to so I cant really give any opinion on it but If I was ever going to do one of the two, it would be back to FR.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I train Schutzhund and PSA. I like the real life aspect of PSA, the surprise of what you have to do when you get there and the true test of the dog's character and nerve. I hate the lack of nose work - which in real life is the most important function that a working dog has. I would have trained and trialed French Ring if there was more access here and people experienced teaching foundation. But even if I did FR, I would still do narcotics or something to prove the dog's nose. In absence of that, I am training Schutzhund now and also trialing in PSA.

Physically, I think they are all taxing, but since trials are only a few times a year, I think it is the job of the handler to make sure the dog is successful and maintains physical soundness as much as possible.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Jbou
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a person who is rally working hard with our dogs in many sports: Oddience, conformation, Sch, agility and Rally-O.
I breed standard schnauzer around 20 years.
I, also , work with my 4lbs pomeranian girl in those same activities.
I dream about a Dutch dog since a saw them in France in a frind house.

Post by Jbou »

Very interesting,
I train in Sch but FR start to be more popular here.
For my futur DS, I'll try FR but also tracking .
As spectator both are really spectacular and dogs are wonderful.
Jason Davis
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I compete in FR and own a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sniper

Post by Jason Davis »

Jbou wrote:Very interesting,
I train in Sch but FR start to be more popular here.
For my futur DS, I'll try FR but also tracking .
As spectator both are really spectacular and dogs are wonderful.

Where are you located that FR is getting popular? That's the hardest thing about the sport. It's tough to get started because if you're going to be successful, you need an experienced team and that's very hard to come by.
Jbou
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a person who is rally working hard with our dogs in many sports: Oddience, conformation, Sch, agility and Rally-O.

Post by Jbou »

Hi Jason,

I live close to Montreal and I know a few persons who are FR1 and more.

Here a link:
http://clubring3brasseurs.free.fr/Evenement2011_FR.php

If you know any club in Vermont I can drive down easily.

Josée
Jason Davis
Puppy

Post by Jason Davis »

Oh ok. Kevin, Mike and Jacynthe are all friends of mine. Great people. My buddy John with his dog Capo also train in that area. Not sure of any trainers in Vermont.
Jbou
Puppy

Post by Jbou »

Thank you Jason,

I meet Kevin a few time this summer.
Jacinthe is the owner of the dog school where I go with my dogs.
And as w are not related she had the same last name as mine !

I'm not sure if I had meet John and Mike !?!

So I can count on them to help me for my DS !
When you'll speak to them let us know that I make my homework before going in FR. LOL

As you confirm that I have good place close to me I don't need other place in Vermont :-)
But I'll be happy to come down showing you my dogs .
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Jbou wrote:
So I can count on them to help me for my DS !

lol tell Mikey you want one of those ugly striped mals :P you'll get an earful.
Choochi
Jbou
Puppy

Post by Jbou »

lol be sure I'll do it .... I know that most of people will think that my "future DS" was a mix.... lol
I have a GSD very dark sable who look like a Tevuren or mal mid-coat .... Imagine with a DS ..... LLLOOOOLLL