Herding

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Herding

Post by Christie M »

Sorry. By play I mean movement between between the joint process, or ability for the joint to move freely without butting up against its slef.

In my limited opinion, the head's were very square and there wasn't much of any room for buffer between the fermoral head and the joint capsule. I'm thinking she is bone on bone pretty quick. But that's just me. Wait to see what they say tomorrow.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Christie M wrote:Sorry. By play I mean movement between between the joint process, or ability for the joint to move freely without butting up against its slef.
Thats what I thought but just wanted to check.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I just got around to looking up Triball, Its fantastic!!!!!
ImageImage
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I've never tried it myself. But it looks fun.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I want to start the nose touch, It will be good for saide's focus.
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ya, I've been doing that with Sugar. When I hold my hand up higher or lower, she wants to give me 5 or high 5 so its a work in progress.

Fun and cute tho...
Sue (and Sugar)

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Treiball is a lot of fun. A friend of mine gave me her instructor's training notes from the first level class, so Geyser and I messed around with it a lot last summer. It gives you a chance to put lots of things together that most of us already do, like sending your dog to a rug or mat, sitting; learning how to push with the nose, etc.

Where we always get into trouble is that when I kick the ball (instead of placing it and sending her to it), she'll race off after it, then want to attack it :lol: bye bye ball :eek:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

leih merigian wrote:
Where we always get into trouble is that when I kick the ball (instead of placing it and sending her to it), she'll race off after it, then want to attack it :lol: bye bye ball :eek:
Thats what Im afraid of with Sadie, I lost count of how many pool floaties she popped :whistle:

That would be good for her though to learn not to bite everything. :lol:
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I bought a small kid ball at a dollar store to begin Thor on pushing. Husband said it'd last a second before he'd wrap his mouth around it. I told him not if he knew the rules for it. We made a bet. I won.

We're not competing, so now I also let him use his paw to whack it--it's a push, just not with his nose--so he alternates. We're working on treating it like a game of soccor between the two of us. (He does forget himself sometimes in this particular scenerio, though, if the ball moves too fast :roll: . Funny thing is the second his teeth hit the ball, he freezes...like "Oops, this isn't right.")

Sue, I didn't teach him to touch my hands (as a pre-requisite for pushing a ball) as there's other things we do that involve my hands.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

One can easily bypass the nose-to-hand touch, if it's a problem, and just go to teaching your dog to nose a stickum note, held first in the hand, then you place it on something like a partially opened cupboard door, they learn to nose that, becomes a push...then you place the stickum on a ball...voila! (Just remember not to call it a "push" until you have exactly the behavior you want, and by that, I mean pushing with the top of the nose, not the mouth, teeth, etc., and doing so very happily and readily...).
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Leih - pls clarify "stickum" note. I think I know what you mean, but not sure. thanks.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

felixone123 wrote:Leih - pls clarify "stickum" note. I think I know what you mean, but not sure. thanks.
That fabulous 3M invention - The Post-it.
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: - oh righty then!! Thanks.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I think I may pass on the hand touch too and go to the sticky on the door part. Sadie is funny, her "leave it" is good now so if there is one of the kids balls around, she starts to play with it like a cat, bat it around and it will go between her legs and get all tangled.
ImageImage