Fun with sheep

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Fun with sheep

Post by alspyce »

Lyric met some sheep today! She was not very impressive--not real interested in them at first. When she got interested, she went straight to pray/seperate/kill drive. I thought I'ld be packaging mutton tonight!
Glad to say the sheep survived, but we may be staying with the balls. Got a few photo's but they're not great.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Re: Fun with sheep

Post by felixone123 »

:lol: :lol: Lyric, you naughty girl!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.

Post by alspyce »

Well it was entertaining----photo's aren't good, but here's what I got before she decided to try to kill them. :oops:
The lady said she may be able to herd at some point if we put lots of work into it but----2 hrs. drive (1 way), and I have surgery on Monday, and I wouldn't compete in that venue anyway, so I guess we'll stick to her balls.
DSCN0240.JPG
DSCN0240.JPG (132.09 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
DSCN0241.JPG
DSCN0241.JPG (129.33 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
DSCN0242.JPG
DSCN0242.JPG (131.05 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
DSCN0243.JPG
DSCN0243.JPG (129.54 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
DSCN0244.JPG
DSCN0244.JPG (130.1 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
DSCN0245.JPG
DSCN0245.JPG (130.81 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
DSCN0246.JPG
DSCN0246.JPG (128.4 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
DSCN0247.JPG
DSCN0247.JPG (129.44 KiB) Viewed 11795 times
So---on to bigger and better things, as they say!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

the sheep look scared in one shot - they knew a "beast" was among them :lol:

Nice pics, btw. Glad she didn't kill or hurt them.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Aww, thats too bad. I would think that would be a bit scary; for the sheep and you, and I'm not sure what a flock of sheep cost, but glad to hear everyone survived!
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HAHA, you go girl! She probably saw dinner for a month!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

I thought it was fun, and Lyric was on a long line, so she really got bounced back on her bottom when she hit the end of the line==sheep running everywhere, and a bit of wool in her teeth! Her bewildered expression when they wouldn't play the game her way===funny as hell. The lead sheep finally had enough and (lightly), head butted her! (No respect for a dog who doesn't know the rules, apparently.)
All in all--a fun day, no one got hurt, Lyric still has her balls, and the lady still has her sheep.

Any new experience has the potential to teach you something about your dog. Lyric is very dependent on me and still gets quite stressed in new situations, but she did much better than I expected, so I guess progress has been made. She's very good with people, but this is the first time someone else has actually taken her from me and tried to work her----she definitely did not like the idea. We'll have to work on it.
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

alspyce wrote:She's very good with people, but this is the first time someone else has actually taken her from me and tried to work her----she definitely did not like the idea. We'll have to work on it.
I don't think its something that you necessarily have to work on. If I could have been working my dog (or at least had my opinion respected), I could have avoided my herding fiasco. No one got killed, but 2 sheep got hurt and the person running the seminar is lucky it was only the animals that got bit. I'll find the link to Willow's herding story if anyone hasn't heard it.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Christie M wrote:
alspyce wrote:She's very good with people, but this is the first time someone else has actually taken her from me and tried to work her----she definitely did not like the idea. We'll have to work on it.
I don't think its something that you necessarily have to work on. If I could have been working my dog (or at least had my opinion respected), I could have avoided my herding fiasco. No one got killed, but 2 sheep got hurt and the person running the seminar is lucky it was only the animals that got bit. I'll find the link to Willow's herding story if anyone hasn't heard it.
What I meant about her not liking being handled by someone else, was not about biting. What I meant was that it showed her insecurity and dependence upon me, that is what I mean to work on---building up her confidence level.
I do agree tho, that if the sheep were mine to work with, I may have had a better shot at getting her to understand what was expected.
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

alspyce wrote: What I meant about her not liking being handled by someone else, was not about biting. What I meant was that it showed her insecurity and dependence upon me, that is what I mean to work on---building up her confidence level.
Just to play Devil's Advocate though, DS are a working breed that should bond well with their owners and typically be cautious of new people. Now some are social butterflies, but I don't think they are the majority. So is it a nerve issue when Lyric is suspicious of a new person who is trying to control her in a very stimulating situation? Or is it a natural for her not to be confident taking direction from a stranger.

Honestly, I know you know your dog. I just think its good conversation :D I try to proof my dogs OFF of listening to other people.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Food for thought! ;)
Chris Carlton/Lyric