Koenig, HCT CGC.

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Koenig, HCT CGC.

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I've not been on here much lately... :( Been busy working, and keeping the brindle beast under control!

Koenig now gets to claim HCT after his name. LOL. We went herding yesterday, and it was AMAZING. Once he was let loose, true to DS form, he went straight for a hind leg. One good WHACK of a thin PVC pipe immediately in front of him had Koenig re-considering eating mutton for breakfast. In his first 3 min with the sheep he was giving the stockman a 'wait' and recalled to me, which are the 2 requirements to complete the 2d leg of the HCT. I was impressed. It was SO COOL to see a dog who'd never seen any sort of livestock just 'know' what to do!

I was nervous. I know the potential harm Koenig could do, and how quickly it could happen. I'd been assured that Joe could, and would handle my dog just fine. Still, most people don't 'know' DS's. I met him, and within 5 minutes of talking to him I was comfortable. This man can read a dog like no one I've met before in my life. Asses herding potential, along with a tons of other observations about the dog in less then 5 seconds! Koenig actually went first. (Yikes! I didn't really know what to expect!) I brought him up, Joe asked me if he was a Dutch, and how old. (he just turned 2) Said Ok, let him off. It was that simple. Away he went! The video below is the first run with sheep. Unfortunately, I didn't get any of the other runs video'd. Next time. :)

All in all, Koenig got 3 runs with the sheep. We're hooked, and going to try and make it out for weekly, or 2x weekly lessons.
Putting up the sheep

Here was one of the 'oh shit' moments he had with 'The Stick'. No, Joe will not allow you to maul his stock.
Recall

If you want to look at all of our pictures, they are here. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/ ... th%20TCSC/

And, VIDEO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htY9RGplNs This is the unedited version, so you can hear the stockman's commands, and some comments he makes.
Kelly
Koenig
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Koenig, HCT CGC.

Post by GSDNanny »

How awesome! I knew you would get hooked. :D :yeah: Something so rewarding with watching or training a herding breed for what it was bred for. Especially when you see the light bulb come on and they do what comes natural. Herding exhibits a sport in which the dog and owner work so closely together as a team. It requires the ultimate constant in communication. There are so many variables involved so that each time you are in an arena, that it really is a true test of teamwork. Do please keep us posted.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

That is awesome. I love the pics!! Congrats on making your first attempt a success!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

That is soooo awesome.... I wish there was someplace local I could take Gwen..
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Fantastic! Loved the story and the pics...so glad you both enjoyed it so much!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Thanks everyone! So far, the plan is to go out again for a lesson tomorrow. :D We'll see if my training buddies does is feeling better, she got into some plastic, so had a case of the pukes today. :( If she's not well, then my kids don't have a play-in-the-dirt buddy while I'm playing with sheep and dogs- so we'll just have to wait and see how the GSD feels. Regardless, we're going again. It's too much fun not too!

Who knows, maybe I'll end up with a dual titled DS. How cool would that be?!
Kelly
Koenig
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Nice!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

nice vid!
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Thanks everyone! If the stars align properly, ;) we're going back out tonight for a lesson or 2. :)

Anyone with herding experience have any suggestions/critisizm? At this point I'm doing very little, besides following the stockman's instructions. (Praise him!, Don't move... call him, etc. ) I'm clueless, but having a blast.
Kelly
Koenig