Long Hair DS?

Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Long Hair DS?

Post by Sugars Mom »

Does this dog named A-Lang look like a long hair DS to you? Its the second posting when you click on the link and there are youtube videos that show the dog

http://www.victoriaadoptables.com/dog-p ... ctoria.htm
Sue (and Sugar)

vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Long Hair DS?

Post by vneerland »

I think that for a DS, the head is wrong (eye set) and so is the size. (for that age) I did not look at the clips though. Good catch. I agree with the 'Belian mix' label they stuck on it and if this pup is brindle, then it sure could pass for one!

Was stunned to see where all these dogs in the link come from. Wow. And high priced rescues at that (but with transport for some of them, that's fairly logical)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

My long-hair expert thinks its a Belgian mix. Even in Canadian dollars, $500 is a lot for a rescue.
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ha, ha, welcome to BC (bring cash)! Sugar's adoption fee was almost $500; it covers their vet check, some shots and the spay.

If you see the clips, she looks brindle and bigger then the weight posted, that's why I thought DS. She is absolutely gorgeous!

Here is one of the clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQKBY3c9 ... e=youtu.be

I didn't know if there were even DS's in Taiwan...
Sue (and Sugar)

ZodiacT
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I was introduced to the Dutch Shepherd breed during my time as an Army veterinary technician working with Military Working Dogs. I fell in love with the breed and by pure chance happened to meet a DS in a local rescue who was a police K9 washout and was up for adoption. We adopted Zodiac right away and she has been an important part of our family ever since. We currently compete in Rally-Obedience and participate in Agility.

Post by ZodiacT »

Wow, that is the most expensive adoption fee I have ever seen, and all of my pets have been rescues :shock:
Hayley St.Pierre-Thomas and Zodiac RL1-AOE, RL2-AOE, CGC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Very pretty though!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Sugars Mom wrote:I didn't know if there were even DS's in Taiwan...
I still don't think there are. ;) Though I totally have no proof, I have not heard of any LH breeder sending one off to Taiwan. Not even Thailand, where there is a kennel that has DS and Malinois, but short hair, working lines. So I will stick with a belgian mix for now, with an infusion of brindle from whatever local flavor available, possibly a shepherd type bulldog coat mutt. JMO.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

What a cool dog and a cool rescue.. and story...

I wouldn't put it past some one local importing a Dutchie or Mal and that dog possibly breeding accidentally or on purpose and one of the pups ending up on the streets.
Choochi
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

Either way he is a pretty pup :) Hope he fines someone soon.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin