Puppy we found-Question about transport

Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Puppy we found-Question about transport

Post by Tappy4me »

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/9427590-sc ... ix#contact

After losing Maiya, even though it's so soon, we know we want to fill our loss with another pup to love. We came across this 14 week old puppy in Alabama, and he has the same expression and happy go lucky look as Maiya held. We will be calling the shelter tomorrow to get some more information on him.

My question to you guys is, are any of ya'll able to help us out to get him up here, if we decide to get him? We could drive to North Carolina to meet somebody and pick him up there, but are trying to avoid the 16+ hours on the road to get down there from where we live.
Owned by Flint (American Eskimo Dog) and Rufus (Dutch Shepherd mix) :)

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Re: Puppy we found-Question about transport

Post by johninny »

correct me if I am mistaken, but if a route from NE Alabama is not working for people, then a route through TN into VA on route 81 would also work for you?
if so, anyone with some time along routes 72 and 24 starting in AL and going through TN along routes 75, 40, and 81 [ through towns like Cleveland, Farragut and Knoxville ] into VA to somewhere like Wytheville or Roanoke could also help.
jess, how far into NC or TN [ if at all ] could you manage comfortably?
also, IS THERE ANYONE HERE WITH EXPERTISE IN PUTTING A TRANSPORT TOGETHER?
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Post by Tappy4me »

Anywhere within those two states would be fine. Just trying to avoid 16 hours and a hotel stay by going all the way down there.

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

have you tried a pet transport company? Or do you want to stick with finding people to help? Id love to do some driving but I am a bit out of the way.

Also..........did miss something? What happned to Maiya?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Dutchringgirl wrote:have you tried a pet transport company? Or do you want to stick with finding people to help? Id love to do some driving but I am a bit out of the way.

Also..........did miss something? What happned to Maiya?
Would prefer to stick with finding people to help.

We had to euthanize Maiya yesterday due to her having been poisoned....her test results and symptoms pointed most closely to rat poison...none of which we have on the property. We are devastated...and would really like another pup to help fill the void that she left. It really helps with the healing...and this boy's expression and mannerisms (from the pictures) looks so much like her, we would regret passing him up.

~Jess
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

gotcha !!!

I just saw the other thread, I am sooooooooooo sorry !!!
ImageImage
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Dutchringgirl wrote:gotcha !!!

I just saw the other thread, I am sooooooooooo sorry !!!
Thanks...We would have waited a bit...but it's rare to find a 14 week old puppy at a shelter. We don't want to end up regretting it if we pass him up.

Last edited by Tappy4me on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

~Jess
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Is that the pup??? How cute !!! Grab him up !! I understand wanting to fill that void right away. My parents lost thier dog last year to the same thing, it was an accident though but its so quick that its so devastating. it took them a year to find what they wanted.
ImageImage
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Yea, that's him! There's a link on the first post with him. :) he just looks liek he has the best personality...and a dopey look that she had.

~Jess
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

another one with a dopey look eh? Im glad Sadie isnt the only one :lol:
ImageImage
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Now we're just praying the shelter still has him...Calling them tomorrow, and will try to work something out with adopting from out of state. Not sure what their regulations are in that regard...

~Jess
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sounds great ! Ill keep our paws crossed !
ImageImage
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Some shelters won't adopt out of state. If that is the case you might check into rescues in that area to see if they will pull him for you. Also, often times rescues will have transport resources. Maybe NADSR can help you out with pulling and transport? Just a thought...
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Also...contact Martha's Mutt Movers http://marthasmuttmovers.org/ if you can get the adoption/shelter pull worked out.

They typically just move dogs from shelters to rescues, but if they have a transport in that area that they can put this guy on for you, maybe they can slip him in. If not, maybe they can help you fill slots or point you in the right direction for assistance.

Typically with transports, each leg is roughly 1 to 1-1/2 hours which sometimes means the dog has to stay overnight with someone (depending on total length of drive from pick up to drop off).

Keep us posted on if you can pull him or not!! Good luck!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Well, I called the shelter today and they still have him! I actually talked to the lady that is fostering him. Doesn't sound like he has been there long by her answers....but she is going to see what she can find out in regards to transporting him up here (they adopt out of state as long as they have transport!!) and she'll call us today! :D Either way, whether we have to drive down there or meet someone part way, or what, it sounds like we are getting him! He is in foster care at the moment, so isn't even at the shelter for others to view.

~Jess
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

OK, this might be a longshot, but maybe we can work it out. We were already planning to take Hilde on a little vacation into the TN/NC mountains this weekend. I'm only about an hour away from Scottsboro. So, IF they'll do an out-of-state adoption, and IF they'll let me pick him up Saturday morning, and IF you can meet me somewhere near the TN/NC/VA border Saturday afternoon, then we can make it happen! This might be quite an adventure! I'll PM my phone number to you so we can work out the details.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

:cheer:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

OH CONGRATULATIONS, Jess ! --- and THANK YOU Eric and Elizabeth! and Hilde for sharing your vacation.
What a relief that at least something can go in the right direction. Good for Jess' family and good for puppy ''Zeus''.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

OK, forget about the "longshot" comment... It's happening! :jive: I've got an appointment to pick up little Zeus tomorrow morning, and he'll be in Virginia well before the sun goes down. Rest assured we'll take lots of pictures of his migration.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

THAT IS SOOOOOO FANTASTIC !!!