Meet Rufus!

Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Meet Rufus!

Post by Tappy4me »

Many thanks to Eric, Elizabeth and Hilde for making our adoption of Rufus such a success!!

Nothing will replace Maiya, but in getting this boy, my husband and I are already starting to feel better. We are slowly starting to be able to cry less, and to focus more on the good memories we had with her instead of focusing on her death.

I think he is going to be a handful-but he is super sweet! He wants to meet everyone, dogs included. He's very curious about the cats. The only issue we have noticed so far is food aggression. He's great about having his ears, tail, toes, mouth messed with. Our other pup isn't too sure about him yet, but I think he will be fine. :)

Here's some photos from the way home.

And photos from Eric and his wife on their way up to meet us.

(Hilde in the back!)

Owned by Flint (American Eskimo Dog) and Rufus (Dutch Shepherd mix) :)

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: Meet Rufus!

Post by Stacy_R »

WOOT! WOOT! and TRIPLE WOOT!!!!!! :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Congrats and good luck with him. He looks super cute : )
Sue (and Sugar)

Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

YEAH! what a cutie! And look at those paws and strong bones!
To Eric, Elizabeth and Hilde: you guys are angels!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Post by Tappy4me »

Schlussdibusti wrote:YEAH! what a cutie! And look at those paws and strong bones!
To Eric, Elizabeth and Hilde: you guys are angels!
Still can't believe someone dropped him off around 9 weeks old as a stray...He's great!

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
Revhendo
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....

Kevin

Post by Revhendo »

Outstanding! I wish you all the best and many long years ahead.
Eric, Elizabeth and Hilde, my hat is off to you folks. The world needs more like you.
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
Asha
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Post by Asha »

What terrific news!! Beautiful boy, how 'bout those paws!! Enjoy every moment, especially the sweet, cute, happy ones and of course all the funny little accidents :D And as was said previously, I can't believe what wonderful people are on this forum. I'm hundreds of miles away and had no part in this rescue, but I thank you for being so generous and caring I think it means something special to everyone here.
Emily Owner of Three mutts
Charlie - beagle/basset 5yrs
Asha - No ### Idea brindle genius 1 yr
Russell - Redbone/GSD monster 6months
DS LOVER and obsessor
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

*Hearty and heartfelt applause for everyone who helped network and transport this new adoption and big hugs to thd new family!* I have no words, just warm fuzzies. *sniff* :)
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

We were at a rustic cabin in the woods last night, so no connection to the 'net, but we're in civilization now. It was our pleasure to spend the day with Rufus. He is super sweet and soft! He and Hilde got along great, except when he wouldn't let Hilde have the shady spot in the back seat. It was great to meet Jess and her husband, and we're glad to be a small part of getting Rufus a great new home. We have about 7 dozen photos that we'll post up when we get home. It's going to be great watching that little guy grow up!
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
2Tangled
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have 1 Dutch shepherd (?), 1 Malinois and 1 herding mix. All spayed females. We do lots of hiking.

Post by 2Tangled »

Congrats on your new addition! Looks like he's going to be a big boy. Already sitting in the driver's seat, ready to take control.
Yay for the DS community for having members that would step up and help 'make it happen'.
Deb, My K9 crew :
Zirro, DS maybe mix?
Tangle, Belgian Malinois
Whisper Shepherd and ???
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Again, thanks so much, Eric! Rufus is fitting in wonderfully here. We are completely in love!

Took some photos of him today. He got to meet the inlaws and my folks (and the pets)! He did superbly.

Here he is playing tug-of-war with my parents 13 year old Malinois, Rusty.

The shelter said a dutch shepherd cross...but I'm thinking maybe he's pure possibly? Or think he may be the KNPV style Dutch? Any thoughts?

~Jess