WTK: Where do the majority of rescue DS come from?

chiroone
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I own only a rat terrier, but am extremely interested in the Dutch Shepherd breed as a pet/companion dog

WTK: Where do the majority of rescue DS come from?

Post by chiroone »

I am wondering, where do the majority of the DS that come to rescue orginate from? Are they sometimes those that are not suitable for law enforcement, surrenders, dog pounds etc? I would really like to rescue a DS, but I am concerned about behaviour issues. I can handle them myself, but I do have a 13 yer old daughter, likey she is tougher then me, but I am always a little concerned for her safety as any father would be. Perhaps this is just overly paranoid, especially with this breed, what is the opinion on this?

I would be willing to by from a breeder, but my last 2 dogs where rescues, and I just like the idea of giving these fellows a good home
Daniel
Florida; West Coast

Manus sapiens potens est
N2Th3Stars
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I joined this forum to learn more about the breed. In the future I would like to do Search and Rescue work with a Dutch Shepherd. At this time I do have one dog (Eli, a Pit Bull mix) and a cat (Mauser).

In the past i've worked at various rescue organizations doing everything from grooming and washing dishes to rehoming, fostering, and training. I've helped dogs, cats, lizards, goats, a ferret, rodents, and even rattlesnakes on occasion.

I've also spent a year and a half working as a Veterinary Technician. I never went to school for it, just trained on the job-- which is why I am thinking about going to school to get my actual certificate. Dunno how life will go though!! Randomness happens :)

Re: WTK: Where do the majority of rescue DS come from?

Post by N2Th3Stars »

Congratz on rescuing your other dogs, glad to hear you are thinking about doing it again. Can't answer your main question, as I don't know a ton about the dutch shepherd yet-- workin on that. :)

I just wanted to say that a rescue is a rescue, no matter what breeds are involved. You still have a lot of unknowns you are going to be dealing with. Even if you have a good idea of the dog's history, it's pretty much all hear-say if you ask me. Basically, be prepared for as much as you can. Make sure you keep in mind that a dog's behavior at a rescue organization or pound can be drastically different from how it would be in a normal home environment. A dog who appears to be completely calm at the shelter may be a crazy spazz at home (and vise versa). Get to know the dog you are interested in adopting, try to spend as much time with the dog as you can before you decide. If you are able to do a foster situation with the dog first, maybe try that out. Then the dog gets a break from shelter life, and you can see how they are going to respond to your family and home.

At 13, i'd say your daughter should be fine around dogs by now. Bring her with you when you get to know the dog, that'll help a lot too. It should be a family thing anyway. Clearly I don't personally know her, but I think most people at that age can manage dogs fine or at least know when one is wanting them to get away. Just make sure she understands basic doggie behavior & common body language. I doubt she will be like a toddler, running about screaming and pulling ears/tails... now THATS an age you gotta worry about!!! eeep.

theres my 2 cents.... & note that i do not own any dutch shepherds, never have. will in the future though :)

I would look at a dog and when our eyes met,
I realized that the dog and all creatures are
my family. They're just like you and me.
~Ziggy Marley~
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Sorry for the delayed response and I apologize if this sounds rather jaded. LOL. I am literally spending 4-6 hours a day on rescue right now because they are popping out everywhere and we simply do not have the resources to keep up.

I have my opinion on where they are coming from, but it is simply based on my personal experiences.

The reality is, brindle is a dominant gene and recently it has come into favor by some members of law enforcement and sport work. If you breed a brindle to a fawn (a malinois), you are guaranteed at least 50% brindle dogs....and many see them as more marketable. If you have 2 brindles available - well thats a bank roll!!! I know of atleast 4 police officers in the state of TN who have a working K9, took in a female of unknown origin or character and decided to make "police dogs." Unfortunately, breeding a nervy-nonworking dog to a decent or mediocre dog tends to produce atleast 50% non-working dogs. Worse yet, if they do produce some working prospects...they have no venue for sales because law enforcement rarely buys puppies. So they are placed with friends, neighbors and family members who think the K9 is OH-SO-Wonderful but have no idea the training that got him/her there.

Dutch Shepherds are the unfortunate victims of being en vogue in a very select market, and unmarketable outside of that. Everyone is making them right now......and I know that. There are probably as many back yard breedings from unproven/untitled stock with no health clearances than any other breeds. OK - maybe an exaggeration. But I would bet that at least 5 litters are made per state, per year by unethical breeders.

The majority of young dogs that I hear of are either stray or a result of that situation. Dutch Shepherds are not the ideal pet for most people. Most are WONDERFUL and make great pets - provided they receive adequate mental and physical stimulation. But they are not a laid back couch potato. And people rarely actually interact with their dogs....that takes work.

So if you are considering a rescue....I say - PLEASE do :-) We can and will help you make the right choice for your situation. Most of the dogs that we get are just a result of someone not knowing what they are getting into. They are high energy with high intelligence. That is just a DS. But if you are willing to give them the outlet that they need....I don't think there is anything better. I have 5 Dutch Shepherds that are my pets/working dogs/house mates as well as a mastiff mix, 2 French bulldogs and 2 cats. Everyone gets along. Everyone is social and safe. 2 hold Bitework titles and therapy dog certifications. I foster a large portion of the dogs that come through Dutch Shepherd rescue. The majority just need leadership and exercise to be WONDERFUL pets!!! They have no real problems except for unknowning/inept previous owners.

Sorry for the long winded response. I tend to get chatty about rescue.....well and Dutch Shepherds :-) Good luck in your search for a great dog.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
chiroone
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I own only a rat terrier, but am extremely interested in the Dutch Shepherd breed as a pet/companion dog

Post by chiroone »

Christie,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I think is is a moral crime to breed this wonderful animal for profit without thought of the well being of the dog itself. While I would be ok with buying from a breeder, I would really rather rescue a DS instead of providing fuel for this "unholy fire". I am too new to this to know which breeders are the good ones and which are not. Although my instincts have already made me wary of one I have already spoken with. Am I right in assuming that all rescues are placed in foster care first with an experienced DS person so their attitude, personality and character can be assessed? I would hate to get a DS only to find it to have some agression issues that would create some serious problems. Of course, I suppose the same thing could be caused by buying a puppy from a breeder as well.
Daniel
Florida; West Coast

Manus sapiens potens est
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Post by asheleylane »

Rest assured Daniel, almost all of the rescues coming through NADSR are evaluated by either Trudy Donais or Christie Meyer, both of whom have years and years of experience with Dutch Shepherds and working dogs of all breeds:)
chiroone
Just Whelped

Post by chiroone »

asheleylane wrote:Rest assured Daniel, almost all of the rescues coming through NADSR are evaluated by either Trudy Donais or Christie Meyer, both of whom have years and years of experience with Dutch Shepherds and working dogs of all breeds:)
That is a great relief that there is a screening process established as I understand these guys can have broad differances in their character, energy level and attitude. But I guess that could be said for any breed of dog, or any person for that matter. It seems that the adoption process may be the best way to get a good match. In speaking with KAren of NADSR, she tells me a lot of the dogs come from 'dumps". I had never heard of that term before, but apparently it means those that were dispose of but either breeders, or others becuae that did not fit a certain need or purpose. That seems like a cruel way to deal with any intelligent animal, especially such a social dog like the DS. I very much look forward to working through the NADSR adoption process and hope an appropriate DS can be found for my family and me.
Daniel
Florida; West Coast

Manus sapiens potens est
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

I agree with Christie on this matter. Adult DS rescues are evaluated and therefore 'what you see is what you get' primarily. You dont have to wait for a puppy from a bad breeder to develop into maturity and then you realize its temperament or health issues developed into a nightmare disaster, via genetics. Now, a good breeder knows their own stock and can make recommendation on a specific puppy to meet your needs. Hence a reputable breeder only. There are the most knowledgeable DS folks on this forum who will be more than willing to help guide you. Good luck!!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana