Happy Tails/Tales

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Happy Tails/Tales

Post by leih merigian »

Bless you, Deanna! Zori really found a wonderful owner. I can't even imagine what your first year was like with her. Your commitment to her is beyond commendable! (I'll bet you spent a lot of time going to your happy place :lol: )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:shock: :o Wow Deanna! I cannot believe such dedication! (standing ovation) :wtg:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Love that story Deanna!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Christie M wrote: Very big grin right now :pals:

I have the Little girl in CT ! I wanted another to keep my 9yo company so she woulnt keep pestering me to play :dsrazz: LOL. When I split with my X he took the mal and Thalie was very depressed for weeks. When we would come home from my parents ( basset people) Thalie would walk around the next day whining. Timing was right to add another nose to the mix. Sadie fit right in like she was born here. She is a real character and her and Thalie became best buds from day 1, they share bones, play tug and just chew on each other all day long. My daughter adores her and Sadie will lick and play with her too.
:dssmile:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Chillyroses
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We foster and train rescue dogs, but a few have decided to stay with us forever. Bo- 9 yo Newfie mix, Emma- 10 yo lab/husky, Kasi- 11 yo border collie and the newest addition, Diesel- born 3/11/10 rescued aug 2010. Poor boy was the unfournatute child of divorce but now my wonderful youngest furkid! I thought having a border collie readied me for another working breed, but this dutchie is keeping me on my toes!

Post by Chillyroses »

I had to look at facebook to figure out how many rescues we had in 2010. I love them all, but some were much easier than others. Elliott the husky, Dilemma the american bulldog, Skittles the brindel pup, Jupie the husky, Autumn & Marley the golden border collies, Bubbles the tailless husky, Iri the sibe, Crazy the sprint racer, Holly the black something or another, Chloe the tzu, Lady Gaga the chineese crested, Max the Maltese, Dozer the 150 lb husky, Loki the gsd mix, Spunky the husky, Bruce the pure newfie, Jimmy the chi, Bella the bichon, Bonnie the newfie mix pup, Little the dane mix, and Jake the cocker. Twenty two unless i forgot anyone. Naturally we have our favorites.

Elliott- was born in a barn with his 8 litter mates. At 3 weeks old, his momma got into some rat poision. Only Elliott and two sisters survived. They were taken to a vet, but for some reason the vet was too busy to handle them correctly. They got left in a cage with a hamster bottle full of formula for weeks. Needless to say, they were pretty messed up when rescue finally got them. Elliott didn’t know how to be a dog. We kept him for two months, teaching him that things were going to be OK. I don’t recall how long we walked around pretending he wasn’t there to build his confidence, then throwing him a treat and walking away. Eventually he started to trust us. He learned social skills from my border collie (its very interesting to see a husky pup do the bc eye). By the time we found a home willing to work with him, he was a happy puppy again. He is a great dog and I am glad he was in our lives.
Iri- Iroquois Came from a mushers kennel who had too many dogs and not enough time or money. He had no inside skills, wanted to eat cats, would spat with any dog and run away given any chance. Iri's problem was he was beautiful, a white sibe. Everyone wanted him on looks alone, but we had to find a family who could handle him. His Daddy now can take him to work, runs in marathons with Iri as a training buddy, and has no cats to eat. They are the perfect match and we get to dogsit Iri when Daddy is away for work!
Chloe- a rare small dog. The little tzu was a known bitter who hated getting her eye meds. She was used as a breeder, but her nipples got infected. Three grand in surgery later she looked like a zombie with stitches everywhere. In true little dog fashion, she had no manners because everyone assumed she was small, therefore not a problem. Two bites latter, her life was on the line, so they sent her to our house. Simple structure and trust exercises did a world of good. As soon as she knew she was not in charge, she became a different (better) pet. She lives with an older lady now and is in heaven getting attention whenever she wants it.
Loki- was kept on a chain to such an extent that his feet were infected which he had spread to his eyes. Abused anytime he did something dog-like (barking, chewing, jumping) so he resorted to doing... nothing. He was returned from his first forever home because he was not dog like enough. He wouldn’t fetch, play, bark at the door etc. His new home had a sister dog for him to play with and he is learning to live again. He comes to daycare with my pup and looks better everyday.
Jake- his momma died when he was 8 months. His elder daddy didn’t know what to do with the annoying little dog, so he put them outside. He figured the dog would leave and someone else would take him in. Jake didn’t leave. Eventually the old man let him back in. From then on, every time Jake did something dumb, he would be put out. The end result was the best behaved rescue dog I have ever seen. Unfortunately, Daddy got cancer and we took the dog in. He has a great family now, hopefully a forever family for the best dog ever.
And of course, Diesel, our Dutchie.
Rescue called me, go pick up a puppy. He was trained and had no issues. I went to get him and the lady said he was a Dutch Shepherd. They were getting a divorce and if we didn’t take him, he was going to the pound.
Boy, talk about unprepared.... Dee liked to bite, jump, bark, zoom. He didn’t like to ride in cars, kids, cats, kennels, and mastered swallowing stuffed toys whole. He was food aggressive and toy possessive. I could not possibly list him as available for adoption, he was too.... well, bad. Three months into working with him, I decided there was no way I could let him leave me. He is my good boy, but he wont listen to anyone else. He couldn’t make another adjustment into a new home. Dee and I are a team now, and I’m glad he is mine.

I hate hate hate that these dogs would be dead without rescue around. They all needed a chance, a little training, and a understanding person.
Jessie & Diesel
Also other rescues who moved in and never left.
Chillyroses
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We foster and train rescue dogs, but a few have decided to stay with us forever. Bo- 9 yo Newfie mix, Emma- 10 yo lab/husky, Kasi- 11 yo border collie and the newest addition, Diesel- born 3/11/10 rescued aug 2010. Poor boy was the unfournatute child of divorce but now my wonderful youngest furkid! I thought having a border collie readied me for another working breed, but this dutchie is keeping me on my toes!

Post by Chillyroses »

Ummm, that was a long post, Im just really proud of my foster doggies!
Jessie & Diesel
Also other rescues who moved in and never left.