Beautiful DS needing home!

SpeakSTL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I volunteer with a rescue for special needs dogs, mostly blind and deaf, call Speak St. Louis. I work for a boarding and open daycare facility in Southern Illinois. I have 2 deaf Australian shepherds and am currently fostering a one year old Dutch shepherd.

Beautiful DS needing home!

Post by SpeakSTL »

Hello All,
I currently work at a dog training/boarding facility. Recently, we had someone who boarded their DS and then decided they no longer wanted him so they left him. I also work with a rescue that usually deals with dogs who have special needs but given the situation, I took him home as my foster. The dog, Doss, is a really great, 1 year old male. He'd be the perfect dog for someone who understands the breed but doesn't want to deal with the puppy stage as Doss already knows sit, down, shake, come (which he's phenomenal at), he's house broken, crate trained and socialized. However, Doss does have splayed, flat feet. The vet said it's not uncommon in these dogs as it can be caused from improper breeding, malnutrition as a pup, or both. However, most people don't even notice. He runs and plays with other dogs no problem. It's recommended he stay on a joint supplement, such as Cosequin, for the remainder of his life. We are located around the St. Louis, MO area but we will help transport dogs, if possible, if it means putting them in their perfect home. If you, or anyone you know might be interested his adoption page and the rescue he's with is below. Thank you!

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/20920870- ... h-shepherd
https://www.speakstlouis.com/
Attachments
Doss.jpg
Doss.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Beautiful DS needing home!

Post by centrop67 »

Any news on Doss?

It looks like he's still on Adopt a Pet.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
SpeakSTL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I volunteer with a rescue for special needs dogs, mostly blind and deaf, call Speak St. Louis. I work for a boarding and open daycare facility in Southern Illinois. I have 2 deaf Australian shepherds and am currently fostering a one year old Dutch shepherd.

Post by SpeakSTL »

No luck yet :(

This dog really is amazing. He travels well. His recall (come) is phenomenal. He's obedient with other commands but I'm most impressed with that one!

He just wants to be by his person and he's content!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

There’s a member in British Columbia looking and I thought this dog was in Seattle?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
SpeakSTL
Just Whelped

Post by SpeakSTL »

No, he's located around the St. Louis MO area. We don't force adopters to be nearby if it means finding the right home for the dog. However, Seattle might be hard to transport!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

SpeakSTL wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:06 am No, he's located around the St. Louis MO area. We don't force adopters to be nearby if it means finding the right home for the dog. However, Seattle might be hard to transport!
there are transport companies.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Goldpanner
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am looking for a forever companion dog. My previous dogs passed away after 14 years and 14.5 years, they were siblings (brothers). They were rescues from the British Columbia SPCA and their breed mix was Chow/Mastiff cross. I am interested in a rescue because no dog should be left behind.

There are no bad dogs....only bad owners.

Post by Goldpanner »

Hello,
I actually live 2.5 hours north of Spokane and live in British Columbia, Canada. I would be interested in this DS and would have to figure out the proper protocol for bringing a dog into Canada from the US.

Would you be able to post a couple pictures of this dog standing or running?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Goldplanner, did you follow the link -> https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/20920870- ... h-shepherd

There's more pictures there, and probably a faster way to contact the foster.
Michael
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Following story. :DSlove:
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Goldpanner
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am looking for a forever companion dog. My previous dogs passed away after 14 years and 14.5 years, they were siblings (brothers). They were rescues from the British Columbia SPCA and their breed mix was Chow/Mastiff cross. I am interested in a rescue because no dog should be left behind.

There are no bad dogs....only bad owners.

Post by Goldpanner »

I have filled out the adoption application for Doss on Speak! St. Louis as well as on the NADSR site. I will keep looking in my area of Canada and US region.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Thank you for your diligence - I hope it woks out for you soon.
Michael
SpeakSTL
Just Whelped

Post by SpeakSTL »

there are transport companies.
[/quote]

We use a lot of them to bring dogs in and send them to their homes. However, most of them also work from a volunteer base. Just depends who is available at any given time!
SpeakSTL
Just Whelped

Post by SpeakSTL »

Goldpanner wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm I have filled out the adoption application for Doss on Speak! St. Louis as well as on the NADSR site. I will keep looking in my area of Canada and US region.
Since I am a foster, we don't see the adoption applications until the last phase. I know that the rescue is strict with adoption guidelines since we work with dogs who have special needs so we really make sure it's the right home in order to minimize the chances of returns or the dog being pushed onto someone or some place else! I'll try and get a video of Doss uploaded soon!
SpeakSTL
Just Whelped

Post by SpeakSTL »

I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to all of you for spreading the word about Doss. He found his forever home this past weekend! It was a couple who no longer have children in the house and they love taking their dogs to obedience training to further their knowledge. Doss now has a new home on 40+acres of property with 2 horses to manage and 2 other dogs to call his new siblings. THANK YOU
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

Great news for Doss!
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Good news indeed :wtg:

Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Michael