Chicagoans in need of Rescue

DubyaT
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: In Chicago realizing the my Dutch Shepherd is not suited to the city.

Chicagoans in need of Rescue

Post by DubyaT »

Hi Everyone,

We adopted our Dutch Shepherd Otis from the city pound almost a year ago. We likely saved him from euthanasia. We were completely unaware of the traits of DS's and he was listed as a pit bull mix. We are fairly certain that he is full DS. Since we have had him he has developed behavioral issues that have really made things difficult. He is now aggressive towards other dogs, cats and most recently small children. Yesterday he snapped a very young child.

We took him to the Anti-Cruelty Society but they said he would likely be euthanized. We are fairly certain that these issues would be less severe in a more rural environment and some training. We've tried listing him with rescue groups and talked with friends in other regions of the country about re-homing him. We realize that certain training classes may help but we would never feel comfortable allowing him around small children and being in the city it's hard to avoid close interaction with other people and dogs. It's also not all dogs. We think that were he to have a home with some other scrappy working breeds that he would do just fine. We appreciate any advice that the board may have to offer. We already feel like extremely irresponsible dog owners but are trying our best to do what's right for Otis. Thank you all.

WT
DubyaT
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: In Chicago realizing the my Dutch Shepherd is not suited to the city.

Re: Chicagoans in need of Rescue

Post by DubyaT »

Hi All,

We have been getting some positive responses from people in rural areas nearby with interest in Otis despite his shortcomings. We are hopeful that something works out and he finds a happy home. We believe that with the proper training and wide open spaces that he will thrive. I wanted to respond and clarify that he is an extremely sweet animal and we love him dearly. The city is just too dense and full of stressors that give Otis tremendous anxiety. If anyone here would like videos of Otis doing tricks, fetch or find it games, I can be reached at wyatt.steele@gmail.com. Thanks.

WT
JayT
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a career Marine currently stationed in Virginia. Own a small farm and have two male GSD's and one female Dutchie.

Post by JayT »

Perhaps you could upload his videos to YouTube and post the link here? Just a suggestion.
DubyaT
Just Whelped

Post by DubyaT »

I'll upload them soon and get some videos in this response. Thanks for the suggestion.
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

WT,

Is this the same Otis that was mentioned on the Dutch Shepherd Rescue yahoo group (not affiliated with NADSR)? You might want to post the photos here, too.
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
DubyaT
Just Whelped

Post by DubyaT »

We have found Otis a wonderful home in rural Indiana with a welcoming family. We will be driving Otis down tomorrow morning. We are extremely upset and become moreso as tomorrow approaches. We will miss him so much but we know that this is the best for him. Thank you all for your responses.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

:wtg:
DubyaT
Just Whelped

Chicagoans in need of Support

Post by DubyaT »

Well I grappled with whether to post this response. Things did not go as planned. During our initial meeting Otis bit the mother in his potential family as she reached under him where he had his ball. Granted reaching near a dog's most prized possession when you had only just met may have not been the best idea, the behavior is unacceptable. She did however still want Otis and chalked it up to a freak incident.

After we had said our tearful goodbyes we headed back to Chicago. We received a call from the mother that Otis would not allow her 12 and 9 year olds into the house after they had brought them from their dad's house. It just wasn't going to work out. We met the dad half way and now have Otis back with us.

I reached out to our trainer to see what our options are. The crux of her email is that we are likely facing the choice of euthanasia due to the liability that his behavior represents and the likelihood that it will get worse. She felt that the quality of life that he is likely to have would be poor and that we in good conscience cannot pass him off.

We are extremely distraught as we face this decision but we see that his behavior gets progressively worse without many blatant causes. Six months ago he loved kids. Now he snaps and snarls. It's difficult to write as he lays loyally at my feet after licking my face to get me out of bed. We struggle with whether it's all our fault or whether he had traumatic experiences on the Chicago streets as a young stray.

We welcome suggestions from the DS community and hope that you'll offer words of support.
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Call Ceaser Milan?

It's a shame when great dogs have behaviour problems that prevent them from "having it all".

My heart goes out to you and hopefully a solution can be found.
Sue (and Sugar)

Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Sugars Mom wrote:Call Ceaser Milan?
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... -Episodes/

Your public library may have the DVDs of his show as well.

He is not a dog trainer but certainly has some good ideas to solve behavioral issues. Although not everybody agrees with his method, it's worth a try at this point.

I love his statement:'" You don't always get the dog you want but the dog you need."
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
SCFamily
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are an active, blended family living in a small, midwestern town. Our canine history is primarily involving the GSD, but the grief of the health problems which haunt the breed are leading us to take an interest in other working dog types, especially the DS. We are seeking information and a possible adoption.

Post by SCFamily »

Thank you for posting so honestly, WT. Our hearts go out to you and Otis and all of us who love him.
SCFamily
"All dogs have ADHD" (title of a book I found recently)
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

That's so sad... Sure hope that you will find a better option than euthanasia... :( Otherwise he is in good health? No pain somewhere to trigger behaviour?
DubyaT
Just Whelped

Post by DubyaT »

Otis is in excellent health and physical condition according to our vet. He was given a clean bill of health last week. He is a beautiful dog. He loves to play ball and is extremely fast. He knows a whole host of tricks and knows many words and commands. The difficulty for him is fighting against his natural instincts as he matures.

We have not found a situation for Otis but have been reaching out to as many experts/groups as possible to possibly find a situation that would work for him. We are preparing ourselves emotionally for the possibility of euthanasia. We want him to be surrounded by people who love him in that situation. It's a very difficult thought, but he cannot be with us with so many children in the neighborhood.

Thank you all for your support and know that this is a very difficult decision for us.

WT
DubyaT
Just Whelped

Post by DubyaT »

I wanted to post a small picture of Otis but this is the only one that was small enough to fit.
Attachments
0-1.jpeg
0-1.jpeg (10.67 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Awwww, how cute
Sue (and Sugar)

DubyaT
Just Whelped

Post by DubyaT »

I've received some interest from a company that does K9 training for law enforecement and protection. Could any board members shed light on what the training is like and what sort of existence it would be for him? Based on what I've mentioned about him, would he be a good fit? Thanks.
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

:yeah: This is exactly what they are breed for, consequently this is a perfect "existence". :yeah:
Most issues arise when a working dog breed like a DS does not have a "job" or any other challenge (IPO, Ring training). They WANT to work and be useful. See it as a blessing that a professional K9 trainer shows interest.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Schlussdibusti wrote::yeah: This is exactly what they are breed for, consequently this is a perfect "existence". :yeah:
Most issues arise when a working dog breed like a DS does not have a "job" or any other challenge (IPO, Ring training). They WANT to work and be useful. See it as a blessing that a professional K9 trainer shows interest.
I agree that this is what the breed was trained for - however, like any industry, there are reputable and non-reputable people in this industry. In my opinion, there are somethings that are worse than death, and being placed with the wrong "working" people can be one of them. Do some homework on the individuals involved before handing your dog over.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
DubyaT
Just Whelped

Post by DubyaT »

Well after further research it appears that this group is not trustworthy and not a good place for Otis. Thank you for suggesting that I research the individuals involved. Well, I guess we're back to square one.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Sorry to hear of your situation with Otis and am thankful you are actively seeking a solution. You got him as a young pup, right? And so he is what about 12-18 mos old now? He's definitely pushing the envelope as he matures. I have one now 5 yrs old that came to me with the same issues your Otis has. Got her when she was 7-8 mos old, and she had already gone thru four other 'homes' for lack of a better word. The longest was in a home with several small children who tormented her. We have worked thru the dog aggression issue but have still been unsuccessful with children so I just avoid them completely. A child's safety is not something I want to compromise while training a dog through this. I do wish you luck in finding a placement for the dog. Sounds like it will take someone who can get a handle on him and soon.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana