GSD vs DS

SCFamily
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are an active, blended family living in a small, midwestern town. Our canine history is primarily involving the GSD, but the grief of the health problems which haunt the breed are leading us to take an interest in other working dog types, especially the DS. We are seeking information and a possible adoption.

GSD vs DS

Post by SCFamily »

Ok, the purpose of this post is not to generate any breed competitiveness. :) Let me say that I have been a GSD/mix owner almost all of my life and am VERY much in love with the breed. But, the long coat and health issues (cancer, arthritis) are heartbreaking. In our search for a family dog, we have come to love the DS. But, never having owned owe and being a fiercely loyal type myself, it is of utmost importance to me that I get as much information on the dutch as possible. We have done months of research and even looked at a couple for adoption. So, I feel that we are moving in a good direction with this breed. But, specifically, are there personality differences I should be aware of? What differences can I expect between the two breeds, other than body/coat type? Does the DS tend to be "sharp" as some have suggested? I look on these forums and I see hundreds of happy owners/families/dogs. I want to see myself here too!
Thanks, everybody.
sc
SCFamily
"All dogs have ADHD" (title of a book I found recently)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: GSD vs DS

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sharp?? Well Sadie has her doofy moments, but I guess at 7 months she is allowed :eek: . I have a 9 year old female and a 7 month old female and love them to death, they just ooozz sweetness. Thalie, my 9 Yo is as sharp as a tack, nothing gets by her, she is so loyal and is my shadow. Where ever I go she is right there, i dont have to call her or say anything, she is always right there. I have had a GS and I would choose a Ds over a GS any day, sorry guys. As far as hair, they dont shed much at all. They learn so quick its amazing, like most work dogs, I find training them easy.

There are some breeders on here too that will give you more wonderful information too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I used to train in a group of SAR dogs, we had GSD's, 2 Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retrievers...and a DS (mine). From what I have seen there, I always found the GSD more "cooperative", meaning that they were very willing to take orders, where the DS sometimes had his own opinion. Something I have rarely seen in training the GSD. They (DS) tend to outsmart you, you need to be one step ahead of them all the time, by that I mean they are SO clever. They think of their own solutions, and if they consider them better than your solution, you are going to have to be really good at explaining them why you want it done you're way, and not their way :lol:
It's not that they do not want to work for you, they love it, but they like testing you, find out what happens if...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Marjolein wrote:I used to train in a group of SAR dogs, we had GSD's, 2 Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retrievers...and a DS (mine). From what I have seen there, I always found the GSD more "cooperative", meaning that they were very willing to take orders, where the DS sometimes had his own opinion. Something I have rarely seen in training the GSD. They (DS) tend to outsmart you, you need to be one step ahead of them all the time, by that I mean they are SO clever. They think of their own solutions, and if they consider them better than your solution, you are going to have to be really good at explaining them why you want it done you're way, and not their way :lol:
It's not that they do not want to work for you, they love it, but they like testing you, find out what happens if...

This is sooo funny but so true !! Describes Sadie to a "T".
ImageImage
Libbyt
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hi, I live in NC with my husband, daughter and son. With three Westies and 2 cats already in our family, we recently acquired a Dutch Shepherd as a service dog for our daughter, Sally.

Post by Libbyt »

I can't compare our DS to the other breeds being discussed, but Marjolein's description is right on the mark! Our Sasha is such a sweetie around the house, but she is just ALWAYS thinking of something to get into - you can just see the wheels turning in her mind! She has a game she plays with one of our cats where she sneaks up the stairs (at a trot) in complete silence.....she has three metal tags, and she can get upstairs without making any sound (it is HILARIOUS to watch!), chase the cat around the bed, then come barreling back down so fast she's practically sliding, get to the bottom and just GRIN - best game in the world! But she's right on top of things when it's time to do her job too. SMART dog, very expressive too.
Libby
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

I ll fourth that opinion... fits Gwen so well... she is a thinking dog... Sometimes she thinks better than me.
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
tedge007
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am from Long Island NY. I Currently have two dogs, a 6 year old Female Doberman and a 10 week old female Dutch Shepherd. My dutch is a mix of Van Leeuwen and LeDobry bloodlines. She is a pistol putting it lightly, she is actually "slightly flammable" and has been since we got her at 8 weeks old. She already shows tons of prey drive, Active Aggression and Social Aggression. Never have I had a pup with nearly as much spirit as her she is going to be a very serious dog.

Post by tedge007 »

In my opinion, you can't really generalize the two breeds. Obviously an american bred showline GSD is going to have a totally differant personality then a german working line GSD. Also since I have gotten my female who is about 41/2 months old now, I have discovered that there are differant lines of DS as well. Mine comes from strong working lines. I was speaking to a man from the netherlands just the other day who breeds what he calls "family line" DS. He says you cant compare the two types totally differant temperments. They look similar in most cases but his dogs dont have anywhere near the same natural aggression or high drives that the KNPV Dogs have. I have owned several German Import Dobermans that were all working line dogs. In alot of ways I could make comparisons between my dobies and my friends working line GSD. I cant make any comparison between those dogs and my DS. She is way over the top compared to them. Constant high activity level, High Drive...much more aggressive. Like I said I have now learned that not all DS are this way so I guess finding a breeder that breeds more for family and not work would give you a closer association to the GSD. Good Luck in your search! :D
- Tom Edge -
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I agree with you Tom ;)
The dogs I have right now, have nothing on a v Leeuwen :D But the trained eye can also see a clear difference in type ;)
I wonder who you talked too...hihi...sounds like Attie to me :D
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

If you just want something to decorate your furniture, a DS would not be the right pick.
If you are looking for something along the lines of a GSD, it depends, indeed on your definition of GSD :lol: and on how much more active drive you are willing to put up with/channel. Apart from the differences already described (the DS as the Einsteins) I think you also need to be prepared for a dog that is a lot faster than your average GSD. Not only in the way it moves, but the way it does everthing, including catching your hand when you did not let go fast enough of that ball. If you have fast reflexes and a fast learning curve, they are great.
If you want just a GSD in a different coat, you will be disappointed, since they are not. A lot depends on your definition (of GSD and DS) but even beyond that: generally think faster and smarter.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
tedge007
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am from Long Island NY. I Currently have two dogs, a 6 year old Female Doberman and a 10 week old female Dutch Shepherd. My dutch is a mix of Van Leeuwen and LeDobry bloodlines. She is a pistol putting it lightly, she is actually "slightly flammable" and has been since we got her at 8 weeks old. She already shows tons of prey drive, Active Aggression and Social Aggression. Never have I had a pup with nearly as much spirit as her she is going to be a very serious dog.

Post by tedge007 »

[quote][/quote]I think you also need to be prepared for a dog that is a lot faster than your average GSD. Not only in the way it moves, but the way it does everthing, including catching your hand when you did not let go fast enough of that ball.

MINE CATCHES ME EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! I think it's on purpose nto by mistake!
- Tom Edge -
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

vneerland wrote: Not only in the way it moves, but the way it does everthing, including catching your hand when you did not let go fast enough of that ball. If you have fast reflexes and a fast learning curve, they are great.
:chin: oohh yeah!! my hands are all bitten up from Sadie, she is much better, my Father is learning too, he has some blisters and cuts from her too, he is used to Thalie, mrs dainty, but she was a quick one too if you didnt give her the ball.
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

whaha, my mother in law has had dogs all her life...labradors, and NOT the working type :mrgreen: She insisted on giving the dog treats, including ours, when they visit. I warned her, they are NOT labradors, and very assertive in taking treats. "I've had dogs alllll my life blabla"

Fine. Went well for a while, untill Ivil was her quick assertive self, and while my mother in law was reaching in the cookie bag to get them a treat, Ivil just snapped the bag, with the hand in it... She punctured the thumb, right at the cuticle, took over 6 months for the nail to start growing back normal again :D
And yes, I did laugh and even said "I told you so" but stopped laughin when she said "OMG I have to sit down, I have to sit..." She got all dizzyy from the pain :lol: :o :| :mrgreen:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

GSD vs DS? Humm...? Well, IMO, after having had GSDs for nearly 50 years (and dozens of GSD rescues thru here), they are different. They are different as people are different. I do agree with Tom, as in various lines ie working vs show vs pet, etc. There is a huge spectrum when it comes to GSDs because the breed has been so exploited. Just look at the AKC litter quantities annually. With the rescues, I have seen such a huge spectrum in the GSD, everything from poor coyote-type nervy inbreds to solid, mentally and structurally strong, import working lines. The few DSs that I have been involved with are sharp, less biddable and more 'pack' oriented when it comes to their people, thus ingraining themselves in the hierachy of their family pack resulting in a strong protectiveness. Structurally, I dont think you will find a more athletic breed. And yes, you better be fast, faster both mentally and physically or you will learn to! These are just my humble opinions of such a dynamic breed.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana