New DS Henry fostering and training for forever home.

borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: New DS Henry fostering and training for forever home.

Post by borellar15 »

SEL wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm It's great that you were able to take him in and foster him! He's a nice looking boy. I don't get how someone could just dump dogs off somewhere because they don't want them! Why not bring them to a shelter or a rescue? Looks like he's in good hands! Do you know how the other three are doing?
Yes I just don’t understand how someone could be so cold and just leave them to fend for themselves. And he really would have been the perfect dog for someone that wanted a pet DS with no intentions of doing bite work. Scratch that... he is perfect for that. Just needs some help regaining his confidence and trust of human beings right now.

I have heard about the others. Right now all I’ve heard is that there is one that is acting pretty much the same as Henry and then there are the other two that are having a bit of a harder time adjusting in their new surroundings and are more fearful and sometimes reacting out of that fear. However, they are going to continue to work with them.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

How is Henry doing? Has anyone shown any interest yet?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am How is Henry doing? Has anyone shown any interest yet?
Henry is doing great! He has learned some basic obedience commands and is coming out of his shell and regaining confidence in himself on walks as well. When we got him he was shy and scared with his ears back and tail tucked in walks he would stop every ten steps and freeze up and need some help getting moving again. Now he has his ears up smelling things tail untucked and sometimes even forging ahead a little bit which I am 100% ok with at the moment. So far he has learned sit, down, here, stay, stand, spin and I’m currently working on his heeling as well as “bang” or play dead. I have received a few interests from Instagram posts but nothing serious yet. Here is a video from our training session yesterday...

Image Image
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

He did a great "place". I hope his match shows up soon, but you are doing a great job with him. You've already gotten him where it took me months to get Bramble, and she learns quickly (obviously I don't). The time you spent with him shows.
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:50 pm He did a great "place". I hope his match shows up soon, but you are doing a great job with him. You've already gotten him where it took me months to get Bramble, and she learns quickly (obviously I don't). The time you spent with him shows.
Thank you. Yes I am doing lots of work with him. 5-6 training sessions per day on various things plus walks.
Image Image
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Do you use an e-collar at all in your training ?
Tim
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

SEL wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 pm I'm really impressed with what you've done with him in such a short time, it's great! He will be such a great dog for someone.
Thank you!
Image Image
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Tim91118 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:43 pm Do you use an e-collar at all in your training ?
Yes but not on this dog I haven’t. This has all been without prong or e collar. He’s such a soft dog he hasn’t needed any of that yet. I’ve been conditioning him for a prong collar (just putting around his neck and clicking -reward taking off or working with it on with no leash attached and taking off when done). Just today I’ve started giving him a few light corrections. He seems do be doing well with it so far.
Image Image
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Don't sell yourself short. Bramble is very like Henry, and I failed at training until we got the ecollar. Our trainer often told me I was the problem, not her. You probably know more than I do training is a team effort that is 75% handler an 25% dog. Henry, unlike Bramble, benefits from your knowledge and focus, and it shows.
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:01 pm Don't sell yourself short. Bramble is very like Henry, and I failed at training until we got the ecollar. Our trainer often told me I was the problem, not her. You probably know more than I do training is a team effort that is 75% handler an 25% dog. Henry, unlike Bramble, benefits from your knowledge and focus, and it shows.
Thank you. Yes I do want him to be on an e collar I’m just being very cautious about both training collars due to his past and how scared he is of everything. He had probably 4-5 days of just wearing the prong collar during our sessions with no corrections before I actually started giving him any yesterday. I didn’t want him to associate the collar with the corrections so proper conditioning for it was needed. I’ll be doing the same with the ecollar.
Image Image
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble does well on ecollar. At home we work on a 4. Our next step is going to start using the ecollar to communicate commands. Our goal is for her to be able to "come" (not really a true "come" because she doesn't need to and probably shouldn't immediately sit) on a low continous pulse. My son can sign the sit and down, but isn't able to call her to him.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

How is Henry doing?
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:08 pm How is Henry doing?
Henry is doing great! His obedience is really coming along. His down stay in the house is great. I’ve got him doing between the legs middle position and even jumping hurdles now! He is still scared of people passing by on walks. He is fine with cars now but still very afraid anyone that walks towards us. Everything else is going great though. He gets along with both of my dogs so he’s getting more time outside of the crate enjoying some lounging around. He is still available for adoption although he’s growing on my wife. She wants to keep him but I’d like to get another dog for sport. We’ll see. We’ll keep him as long as we have to. No shelter for this guy. Here’s some videos...

Image Image
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

It looks like he would make a great dog for a low key family. It is so sad that he is afraid of people. Suggests something must have happened to him. Gotcha, my last Dalmatian, came from a tough situation. One of her pups, a male and Gotcha were the only Dals left alive in a puppy mill raid. All of the other dogs had been killed by having their heads bashed in, in some cases by being slung against trees. We think her neurologic issues may have come from an attempt on her. She was fortunate the authorities arrived when they did. Yet even then, she was always a dog's dog, and preferred 4 legged company.

Bramble is the opposite. She LOVES people.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

How is Henry doing? Is your wife getting to keep him?
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

ladyjubilee wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:21 pm I wonder if that could be stress related...
Using ours as an example, for Duchies I've noticed that stressed brain dead episodes are more profoundly farrel like where as most dogs behave more timidly. :eek:
Wild like more so than run and hide.
Just my observations.