Dutch shepherd standard

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Dutch shepherd standard

Post by Susannah »

Hello. I wanna know, what standards there are with ur dog. So have u register?

And, for international dog shows for exbl. Is ur dog registered or not? And can it go for Europe shows?

I Got a feeling many are from mal. Lines, that is why i am asking, cause here if its not FCI registered, its crosbreed.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Dutch shepherd standard

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble is either a DS or a DS mix or a dog that looks and acts like a DS ;). She is from a local animal shelter in an area that has breeders that produce working dogs and are not considered reputable. So, not FCI in any way.

Almost all of my dogs have been shelter or rescue dogs. I didn't even know what a Dutch Shepherd was until I got Bramble, definitely didn't know KPNV or FCI or whatever alphabet!
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Susannah wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:07 pm I Got a feeling many are from mal. Lines, that is why i am asking, cause here if its not FCI registered, its crosbreed.
My Radar is 50% DS, 25% Mal, and 25% GSD based on DNA.

We are a US-based group, so most of the dogs here were imported from the KNPV program for police and military and are as you said, most likely "crossbreed".

That doesn't mean there aren't any FCI dogs here, but if I understand the history, in the 1950s there was an injection of Mals and/or GSDs into FCI Dutch Shepherds to keep the breed going.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Do you know what was terrible about the "catastrophic" outcross with German Shepherds in the 20's?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:24 pm Do you know what was terrible about the "catastrophic" outcross with German Shepherds in the 20's?
I am not sure I understand the question.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

All of the articles I've read about breed history mention the "disastrous" cross with GSD....but none comes out to say what was so bad.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:46 pm All of the articles I've read about breed history mention the "disastrous" cross with GSD....but none comes out to say what was so bad.
Can you point me to one of the articles?

Most of what I read was about WWII causing a lack of breeding of DS and having to mix GSDs and Mals to keep a foundation stock. I've also read that there wasn't much difference between German, Dutch, and Belgian shepherds other than coat and color prior to the introduction of breeding standards a little over 100 years ago.
Michael
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

http://younghaus.com/fci-vs-knpv-dutch-shepherds/
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

https://www.americandutchshepherdassoc.org/history.html

This one isn't so dramatic, but still says, "There are records of some GSD crosses into the short haired version that occurred between 1910 and 1916. But it took quite some time to get rid of the subsequent undesirable traits."

So it looks like from the one article the dogs were bigger. From the other that the coloring was affected.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:18 pm This one isn't so dramatic
I hate it when something is presented without citation.

So, I went down a rabbit hole in search of an answer. Believe it or not my searches brought me back to this forum twice, but I have been unable to find the answer as of yet.

It might take a research librarian and someone who speaks Dutch.

Who knows? The answer may be lurking in one of the older threads here on the forum :wtg:
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Yeah, it really peeked my curiosity because I thought the GSDs of the period were considered to be pretty sound dogs without the modern defects.