The successful failures of owning a Dutch Shepherd

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
Fortysixand2
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am father of four children. I am currently not a Dutch shepherd owner, but love the breed. I am interested in having one join our family in the future, and just doing all the research I can before committing our future to the new addition. I have owned high energy and drive breeds on the past, so I am aware of the efforts they require for success. I interested in first hand experience and knowledge of life with these beautiful animals.

The successful failures of owning a Dutch Shepherd

Post by Fortysixand2 »

I am new to the forum and am only researching the breed while waiting to make a decision to become an owner in the spring of next year.

As a new comer to this forum yall have been welcoming, but also reserved about recommending this breed to a "new comer". I personally had a fairly warm welcome, but in my reading of others threads I have found responses to be a little different. I completely understand the words of caution. The majority of this group have a undying love for the breed. In turn, want any prospective owner to fully understand the commitment they think they may want to take on. Any dog loving human should have a similar understanding of the concerns the members here are looking to convey. Unfortunately, some new comers don't get the message, and take offense to the attempts to understand the ultimate intentions of prostective ownership.

I'm starting this thread to give you "veteran" owners a place to not only share the pleasures of successfully living day to day with these beauties, but also the hardships you have endured. Maybe it can become a reference for those who "think" they know what they are in for.

So, please have fun recalling your best moments of success, and your worse moments of "failures". Hopefully we can all learn from your experiences.
Matt - East Tennessee
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: The successful failures of owning a Dutch Shepherd

Post by Tim91118 »

I’m not one of those that say they do not make good pets. I would say they should not be for a first time dog owner. I personally have not had any problems. My dog has never chewed on anything in the house and was sleeping in our room on her own bed at 4 months. She could be left alone in the house at 7 months without being crated. I am blessed with a place that allows my dogs to get plenty of exercise and they are not left home alone during the day. The dogs do need an outlet for their inherited drives. I was looking for one that had balanced drives and would be social with people. I got lucky. I know they all aren’t this way. I’d say their full character won’t be seen until they reach about 2 years old.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

:DScool: I think I've been pretty open about my failures. I didn't set out to find a DS, and I might have kept walking had I known.... and missed a great dog.

My biggest failure is training. We've always had dogs, including high energy dogs, though we're not the most energetic family. But the DS intensity is just different. With Bramble I have to be firm and consistent in a way I haven't with any other dog.

Bramble has redecorated all of our rugs, modified furniture and adjusted pillows.

My failure culminated culminated in a trip to the park to address dog reactivity. Phew. I literally came out of my shoes trying to hold her back. She snapped into protection mode when a dog got "too close" to my son and scared him. I had her pinned to the ground in a Webmaster harness....and still barely managed to hold her. This after months of training. It is so easy to forget my sweet little submissive girl is powerful...and once she locks on she doesn't give up.

We really had to work...and I am definitely no where near as dedicated, and certainly not knowledgeable like most here. I have to work to be very firm and consistent and really she needs more focus than I can normally give in my situation.

The ecollar, me finally gain some training skills and Bramble maturing helped get us over the biggest hurdles....but her having a real job has helped too. While it's not the physical work like bite work or agility, having Service Dog tasks as an outlet for her intensity helps.

I think members on the forum stress that these dogs aren't good for first timers because in inexperienced hands these dogs can be dangerous, not because of "aggression" but power, intelligence and intensity ....but also inexperienced handlers are dangerous for the dogs . Far too frequently the dog ends up at the shelter. I've said it before....without this forum our family would have been in a truly dangerous situation. I wouldn't have known how out of my depth I was and given the special circumstances in our family, someone would have been hurt....and Bramble would have been back at the shelter or worse.

And she's a mild mannered mix. I don't know how families manage with working line pure breds!
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Fortysixand2
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am father of four children. I am currently not a Dutch shepherd owner, but love the breed. I am interested in having one join our family in the future, and just doing all the research I can before committing our future to the new addition. I have owned high energy and drive breeds on the past, so I am aware of the efforts they require for success. I interested in first hand experience and knowledge of life with these beautiful animals.

Post by Fortysixand2 »

Thank you both for sharing! Those are the types of stories I believe would be helpful.

I certainly can agree with the DS not likely being a good first time dog owner breed. Growing up my parents refused to allow us to have a dog, no matter how much we begged or even saved our money in hopes to be able to afford one. Once married and my first baby on the way, I set my mind on owning a pitbull. While I was doing my homework, I was told by everyone in my life and even on forums it would be a mistake to take on the breed as my first dog experience, especially with a baby. Eight months after my baby was born, I got a little bully. Within the first 24 hours I had a major moment of internal panic while trying to keep the little raptor from mauling my arms and hands! At this point I had something to prove though. I read even about more experiences with owning a little wild dog. Kind of pushed all of the things I thought I knew a side, and focus searched on the particular behaviors I needed to harness. He was my crash course. I got lucky with him being highly driven and had a brain to work with. He didn't enter our lives, he CREATED our world. He was so much more work than I had ever imagined. I truly loved, even during times of frustration, every minute of it.

If I understand the warnings correctly, this breed is not for someone looking to "check" the dog ownership box on their life's list. Seems that there will be challenges that only true love and dedication can handle.

Please keep adding your stories here!
Matt - East Tennessee
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Ironically, we got Bramble when Dalmatian mix I was signed up to get turned out to have Pitbull mixed. I just couldn't risk that Pitbull unpredictable bite force with my son.....so unknowingly walked out with Dutch Shepherd mix instead.

I think though Pitbulls are a good example of people are cautious recommending DS. The shelters are overcrowded with Pitbulls....and not all Pitbull owners are good owners. Unfortunately I know some who aren't. The dogs run free. No training. No boundaries. In one case the "worst" has happened and they still don't care for their dogs.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I don't know. Bramble is a whole lot of dog and I've had more than 15 dogs.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

I’ve had my share as well. The first criteria for me is a biddable dog. Almost all dogs in the Herding or Shepherd breed class will be biddable. They love to please and will respond to you. Not all dogs are good at this. This will make things rewarding if you spend the needed time.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Ah, that's where I went wrong....many of our dogs were stubborn terriers :) and Peanuts is has jus always been ornery.