Rescue pup listed as DS mix??

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
strongfirstmom
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Mom of 3 kiddos. Originally from upstate NY now in NJ suburbs. Just adopted a 1 year old female DS mix.

Rescue pup listed as DS mix??

Post by strongfirstmom »

Hello!

I am very new to this forum. We are looking to adopt our first rescue dog for our family. We have 3 children, ages 10, 9, and 6. We've been in contact with a GSD rescue that has this dog listed as a DS mix. Wondering if you can offer opinions on possible breed mix? From what I've read here, a DS with little kids isn't the best idea but this dog is definitely a mix and maybe has no DS in her at all? She is 9 months and listed as super friendly, playful and very obedient. And very very smart. Thanks so much!
Attachments
IMG_4016.jpg
IMG_4016.jpg (81.64 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
IMG_4017.jpg
IMG_4017.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
IMG_4018.jpg
IMG_4018.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
IMG_4019.jpg
IMG_4019.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Rescue pup listed as DS mix??

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Cant really say... it very well could be... visit the dog see how his temperament is see how he is with the kids... ask a million questions see how his behavior is with other dogs his food his toys his crate all those things walk him on the leash spend time with him and then make an assessment if it will be too much or if the dog is a good fit... forget what the breeds are in the dog and go off that dogs temperment and see if it's a good fit
strongfirstmom
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Mom of 3 kiddos. Originally from upstate NY now in NJ suburbs. Just adopted a 1 year old female DS mix.

Post by strongfirstmom »

Yes, all true! Not sure why I think it matters as she is clearly some sort of mix. Thank you!!
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I think Bramble is a mix, and she great with anyone who has the potential to scratch her belly. Is super sweet, playful, very quick to learn.

But she still has a lot if the DS traits people talk about here. Obedience isn't optional with her. It's a requirement.

But for us, she's the perfect dog.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
strongfirstmom
Just Whelped

Post by strongfirstmom »

Aww, sounds like a great match :).
We had a home visit yesterday and are scheduled to meet her on Saturday. The trainer who met her and visited us said she's very sweet and would respond very well to advanced training. She was brought in as a "stray" but runs through all the basic commands as if she's been doing it for years. Suspicious...;). Anywho...we're looking forward to meeting her! I appreciate the feedback; it helps calm my jitters.
strongfirstmom
Just Whelped

Post by strongfirstmom »

We met this sweet girl today. It was a truly unique and remarkable experience. Her level of self control was unlike anything else I've seen. She was very gentle with the kids and when she found the ball nothing else around her mattered. She and my son played fetch for a long time and her focus on the ball was intense. Very interesting experience. No idea of her official breed but the GSD trainer thinks she's half Dutch at a minimum. Time will tell. Photo isn't great b/c my son is the only one who took pictures today (with his Kidzoom). We are leaning towards adopting her and if so will DNA her. Perhaps I'll be back :)
Attachments
IMG_4033.jpg
IMG_4033.jpg (238.53 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

The shape of the head in the last pic looks more Dane to me.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 pm The shape of the head in the last pic looks more Dane to me.
Thats it! I kept looking at her face and could tell there was something in there that i recognized but could not put my finger on it. Dane !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
strongfirstmom
Just Whelped

Post by strongfirstmom »

Yes - I could definitely see that. She was exuberant and chill at the same time. Fascinating animal. I am going to respond more in the new member post. Thanks!