Is Grace a Dutch lady?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
PhillipJFry
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Grace = Best Girl

Is Grace a Dutch lady?

Post by PhillipJFry »

Hello,

My wife and I adopted Grace in November of 2018 and been learning a lot ever since. The shelter, in the Chicago area, had her listed as Dutch Shepherd and while I know that a great deal of listed Dutchies are other things, I am a bit hard pressed to not see it in her. She's just over 2 years old now and seems to have finally stopped growing. Grace is currently just under 50 pounds and 23 inches to the shoulder. Temperament wise she has a decent amount of drive and locks in on you and the task once you get her going. She comes at everything with a lot of intensity. Not as much as our trainer's Malinois but I don't think Grace is likely a super well bred example nor do I expect she had the kind of upbringing that would make such a driven and level dog. Grace does have some leash reactivity issues, which we have been working on, but that's the only thing that can break her focus when we are working. She also shows herding and protection instincts.

So, what do you think, is Grace a Dutch lady? I tried to include a good cross-section of pictures but I can take more if it helps.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Good Girl Grace
PhillipJFry
Just Whelped

Re: Is Grace a Dutch lady?

Post by PhillipJFry »

Here's a short gif of Grace from last winter practicing her ribbon dancing.
https://imgur.com/Cszn2iH
Good Girl Grace
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Wow she could be Bramble's twin without the broken ear. But I don't know what exactly Bramble is. I call her a Dutch Shepherd mix, but haven't spent $$ on a DNA test.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Sure looks like one from the pics but what about a fore head profile.
She does have a blaze on her chest.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I've wondered about that. White on the chest and paws is a "fault". But fault does mean "not a _____". Dals with patches are still Dals. I've often wondered if Bramble just is a very "good" Dutch Shepherd.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Too much white is "undesirable", but not a full indication of "not-a-DS."

Grace is probably mostly DS, but of course DNA testing (Embark or Wisdom) is the best path to confirming.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
PhillipJFry
Just Whelped

Post by PhillipJFry »

Here's a profile shot of her head from this morning. She was pretty fresh from waking up so she was not interested in keeping her head up for me, ha.

Good Girl Grace