Meds and Specialized Drug Compounding

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Meds and Specialized Drug Compounding

Post by johninny »

i have received some private inquiry re my posting on custom-made worm ''prevention'' meds [from a pharmacy in AZ] in the Frontline thread in ''Whatever.''

it occurred to me that for the very few of you that might be interested [ or in need due to lack of services or reliable knowledge in your area ] that i should mention a specialized pharmacy in Manhattan, nyc, that provides pretty much anything that a dog might ever be prescribed [or otherwise need], ranging from the most experimental cancer compounds on down to the most common drugs. i hesitate to mention my late TraceDog for fear i will be attacked yet again, but this pharmacy was a godsend during his illness. as he died of a rare and virulent cat cancer that is only known to have afflicted 4 other dogs in recorded medical history, his care was all rather experimental and many of his drugs not readily available - even from the highly specialized hospital that supervised his treatment. so it was his hospital that directed me to this pharmacy that both inventories and compounds to fulfill any need.

they quickly will deliver anywhere with appropriate temperature-controlled packing. i would imagine the pharmacist[s] might be very good to consult with on treatments recommended by vets [ i find vets as with regular doctors often have no idea of the correct drug to use for a specific illness and wind up wasting time and money - and sometimes create huge risks ]. and often i have found in dealing with some normal vets that their drug-supply charge is SEVERAL times what this pharmacy would charge for the exact same drug, i.e., some vets literally use drugs as a huge profit center [ in such cases, i then INSIST that the vet call in the prescription for separate fulfillment - whether to MY local pharmacy or to the pet pharmacy listed below].

so worth knowing this place exists but hope no one ever needs it:
BEST PET Rx, LLC 1751 2nd ave, NY 10128 tel 212 348 1800 fax 212 348 3037
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
MaliNut
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Well...it's a transition really. Had my final GSD from 1996 to 2009-she's over the Rainbow Bridge now); then moved over to Belgian Mals. Now I've DS fever looking to get SH silver brindle sib(in my dreams) for my 5 yo Male Mal Razor!

Thanks for having me onboard-I am here to learn all I can about Dutch SHepherds...although after 3.5 yrs of Mals I still wonder if I am really ever going to figure it out!

Best Pet RX BBB report "C" rating..70 Complaints.

Post by MaliNut »

John...

I checked this company out with the BBB and they have 70 complaints. They claim to be BBB accredited-which they are not. What works for you is based on your perception and board members need to be made aware of issues with this Pharmacy. It's a "local" pharmacy to you and mistakes are much more likely for mail order. I have to check the legality of even mailing compounded RX's across State lines.

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/busine ... -ny-71748/

I don't recommend people use compounding pharmacies outside their geographic proximity as you have little recourse if something goes awry with an out of State pharmacy.

By clicking on the 28 complaints with "Products and Service" I see some very stunning and serious errors. I would not recommend this as a mail order pharmacy. One error can be fatal.

It is much safer to utilize a Pharmacy recommended by the vet of each individual owner. There is nothing done in NY that can not be compounded in any of the 49 states of the Union.

Regards.....Greg
Vrijheid's "Our Ninja TAKI"- Dutch Shepherd born 5/15/13-1 Yr old!!!
Razor"...5 yr old Belgian Malinois -RIP my son; 12/13/13
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Re: Meds and Specialized Drug Compounding

Post by johninny »

Greg, i have never heard of the business you have referenced in your post - it's not even in nyc. secondly, i could not care less whether people use them or not - that is not the point,i.e., if people can get what they need for their animals elsewhere, then no need of this biggest-of-big-city resources. but i think this place does have experience and expertise that would not be found in most areas of the country. the hospital in nyc that relies on them for out-of-the-ordinary meds may be the very best in the country outside of some of the greatest vet schools. [ and frankly, if this hospital has to go outside for these items, then they would be unavailable in 99.9% of vets, meaning you're up-the-creek without a paddle unless you live near a good vet school or in a major met area, so your meds are going to come in by fedex one way or another. that being the case, this place really knows what they are doing.] if someone here runs into trouble of some sort that i cannot anticipate, the knowledge that a place like this exists might make a real and positive difference. that's all - i would want to know about this place if i did not already.

looking forward to your research and posting on the correct pharmacy.

edit: legality - done all the time, tho maybe there are specific items in certain states that may be controlled [ thinking of controlled substances, race horse controversy, etc.].
and your last assertion [ last sentence ] is just plain hogwash and dangerous thinking. compounding modern complicated and rare drugs is not something that should ever be left to an inexperienced pharmacy - no 2 ways about it.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka