PLEASE POST HERE: BEST TRAINING RESOURCES [DVD's, etc.]

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

PLEASE POST HERE: BEST TRAINING RESOURCES [DVD's, etc.]

Post by johninny »

in ''behavior'', Sharon just recommended Michael Ellis and Susan Garret, 2 widely respected behaviorist/trainers, who, along with a few others, have been consistently recommended on DSF by our resident professionals and others in-the-know. as one of whom i speak, Christie M also brought attention to http://www.BOWWOWFLIX.com, the dog training equivalent of netflix. as training DVDs can be wildly expensive, this would seem to be an invaluable resource for someone facing ''issues'' or who simply wants to get deep into dog training. in addition, these same members have spoken of certain essential books, pamphlets, web sites and the best overall trainer/behaviorists.

since Christie mentioned bowwowflix, i have mused about joining and using it, but not being ''in-the-know'', i have found the idea of facing a wide choice of DVDs by many different ''experts'' on various subjects too daunting. a central repository of the collective wisdom of DSf's professional and serious members would certainly be a boon to people like me and to newbies who are in trouble [or about to be], but also may be a great way for our professional and experienced members to discuss among themselves new resource finds w/r/t new trainer/behaviorists, new techniques, or simply great new DVDs,web sites,books, etc.

i am hoping all you in-the-know types will post your thoughts [ brief or otherwise ] on the resources for which you have the most respect. posts that are extremely brief should list author, goal/purpose of material, and reason for recommendation [i.e., because of author, it's simple and it works, good approach for intractable problems, essential foundation for..., etc]. if it is the case, one could also simply say, ''anything by Michael Ellis''.

all this is not to say others should not post DVD's that turned out to be useful [ would even love some ''tricks'' that are fun, impressive, useful] but i hope others will point out when a certain technique might do harm or when there is a clearly superior approach.

so, i am doing it again - i do not myself have a recommendation, but i sincerely hope that our resident breeders, behaviorists, trainers and other serious and experienced members will help to construct a great library of recommendations that can be constantly up-dated and referenced! when it is convenient for you, please take a moment to guide us to the best dog-training resources. THANK YOU!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka