Himalayan Dog Chew

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Himalayan Dog Chew

Post by Owly »

Not sure if this belongs in the feeding section or not, since technically it isn't a "food" item, but more of a bone/gnawable type thing. I've been struggling to find Nami something that she can keep her mind preoccupied with while she totes the cone of shame around. She isn't allowed to run, jump, or do any other rambunctious activity until the 19th. I've tried Kongs stuffed with kibbles, her rope toy that we play tug with (to a degree until she starts trying to shred it), Nylabones, busybone treats, and nooow this Himalayan Dog Chew. I friggin' love this thing. It's the first "chew" she's hasn't been able to demolish in the first 30 seconds or lose interest in. I suspect that her interest in the Nylabones is lacking because of how difficult it is for her to chew on them while wearing the cone, but these Himalayan dog chews are doing the trick! Cone be damned, even though it is similar in size to her nylabone she doesn't let the cone stop her. Even though they were a bit pricey compared to other chews (I paid 10$ for the one chew) it looks like it'll last long enough to outweigh the cheaper "busy bones***" that I've been trying.

I haven't tried anything rawhide-ish because I've heard about way too many rawhide horror stories at work.

***not the actual Purina product, Busy Bone. just my general term for chews designed to keep a dog entertained for hours. Although I have tried Purina Busy Bones and they last all of 5 minutes before I take it away because she's shredding them into chunks , so I treat these as more of a treat type deal.
Owly, Ohio.
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: Himalayan Dog Chew

Post by karenz »

:eek: I know the frustration of trying to keep a ds quiet for 2 weeks. When I got Xander neutered I went threw the same thing. It was a long 2 weeks. :pint:

I gave Xander bully sticks when he needed something to keep him occupied for a little while. I wouldn't leave him alone with them just to be on the safe side but they do not fall apart like rawhide. He is only able to get a Itty bitty piece off at a time. They are expensive in the pet stores but I found them at chewy.com for $3 or $4.
Karen & Xander
Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Post by Owly »

I tried to find some bully sticks that were low odor, but the petstore I ran into didn't have any. I plan on doing some rounds to see if I can find lowodor/free range bully sticks.
Owly, Ohio.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

If you have a boutique/small business pet shop they usually have really good ones. If you have the time, bestbullysticks.com (I think that's the site) has a large selection in all kinds of shapes/sizes/low-odor/buffalo/beef. I've ordered from them many times and haven't had a problem. Shipping is just slow, especially if you're used to Amazon.

Sometimes I can find a good deal on cool chews at Chewy's or PetFlow.com too. Antlers, Himalyian chews, and water buffalo horns are about the only thing that can keep my guy occupied.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)