Muzzles

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Muzzles

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

does anyone have any muzzle recommendations?

I lust after Working Dog Dry Goods muzzles, but they're a bit out of my price range... and besides, I couldn't decide what design to get!

Shylah was anxious around new dogs from the day I got her, she settled down a lot after we got Shota, so much so that I could pet-sit my bff's dogs and take them to the dog park often without any issues

but the last couple times I took her to the park she started getting reactive again and wanted to snap at any dogs that came close to her or Shota

I'd love to start taking her back and working with her on socialization (plus Shota loves playing with other dogs), but I'd rather have a muzzle so there's zero chance of her actually connecting with another dog and the ensuing drama with any owners

thanks!
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Muzzles

Post by TimL_168 »

I've got some recent experience. En needs to be muzzled for her nosework class. We've done all the proper conditioning and positive association. She drives into the muzzle from across the room when cued.
Baskerville muzzle:
The Baskerville should allow the dog to pant, bark some, and eat& drink. The issues I'm having are her ability to work wearing the Baskerville muzzle. It seems like it should be a great thing-and it works great for the trainer's GSD. But the size and shape mess En up. The muzzle tends to ride up, moving its mouth opening up and away from her mouth. It's sort of rotating up on her snout, moving the opening away from where it needs to be. She's lost ALL drive wearing the Baskerville because she KNOWS she can't lick up kibble from hides.
Wire basket muzzle:
I didn't actually buy one of these, but the trainer had a few. She mentioned that while it allows the dog to pant and drink, it does take a while for the dog to learn since it can't get it's tongue extended. There is no accommodation for allowing the dog to eat while muzzled.
Mesh Safety Muzzle (el-cheapo/Petsmart):
This is actually what I've had the best success with. It's thin, so it doesn't get in her way. It's open at the end. The size I bought happens to be perfect for allowing her to drink& pick up kibble and just a little panting. It's not as secure as other muzzles. She likes wearing it, but it could pretty easily be pawed off if she really wanted. I'm seriously looking at the R.A. Mesh muzzle, but it looks like it has a buckle on the top, right in front of the eye. Also, En is only 50 lbs, and the collar I got for her had to be modified to fit. I may end up making my own muzzle for her.
Thinking about it now, the reason En gets muzzled is nipping. She could probably still nip with a mesh muzzle.

R.A. clear plastic muzzle:
I've been thinking about these, but if there's a lot of activity, I'm curious about how her skin might react against the plastic.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Look into Bumas Muzzles. They just started opening selling and getting product into the US. Biothane muzzles custom made to a dog's measurements and preferred colors. Lots of options. Very easy to work with. A bit pricey but for a custom made option they end up sometimes being cheaper than Alesha's work. And in any humid or hot climates I would highly recommend them.

There is also Leerburg who sells a biothane muzzle (not custom made) for around $50-60. Dean & Tyler make a wire one that you can get on Amazon for cheap-ish.

Check out The Muzzle Project online. They have a TON of reviews on all sorts of muzzles.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:58 pm Look into Bumas Muzzles. They just started opening selling and getting product into the US. Biothane muzzles custom made to a dog's measurements and preferred colors. Lots of options. Very easy to work with. A bit pricey but for a custom made option they end up sometimes being cheaper than Alesha's work. And in any humid or hot climates I would highly recommend them.

There is also Leerburg who sells a biothane muzzle (not custom made) for around $50-60. Dean & Tyler make a wire one that you can get on Amazon for cheap-ish.

Check out The Muzzle Project online. They have a TON of reviews on all sorts of muzzles.
You're awesome! Never heard of a couple of those. :P
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I have a few different options coming in from Bumas for H. His preferred pant style is "OPEN WIDE" and gets stressed when muzzles don't let him do that so we're always trying out muzzles. I'll post some pictures once we get them!

I know there's a few places on the west coast selling Bumas and hopefully we'll start seeing them more and more. Their Kickstarter was very successful so I'm hoping that's a signal there's a need in the dog world for their product. Nothing but awesome customer service from them.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)