Rear end harness

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Rear end harness

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Rear end harness you say?? What is that you say?? Well. Since most of you have pups or younger dogs, you would only be thinking about a harness that is for walking or training. Well, since I have a senior, ok ancient, dog. I am thinking about her rear. Thalie (15) has a rear that is not working as it should. Luckily that is the only thing now that is not working. The vet said she is in great shape for an old dog.

ANyway. She is haveing hard times getting up the stairs and in the car. I usually lift her rear with my arm under her abdomen but I dont have the best back. She fell last week and I hurt my back picking her up.

So I wasn insearch for something to help. I came across the " Airlift" yes, Airlift :eek:

I got it from K9carts.com they make wheelchairs for dogs too.
Airlift.jpg
Airlift.jpg (210.64 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
it just came tonight and I put it on her. ITs a tad big but they said the Med would be too small. Its fine though. Its a neoprene with lots of vent holes.

Tonight will be the test as we go up the stairs to bed.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Rear end harness

Post by TimL_168 »

Let us know how it works! Aurora will probably be shopping around for something along those lines before long. Is it suitable for potty use ?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

It went well. Takes some getting used to. Put it on to go up the stairs. She wasn't too happy with it. I tried to hold her just enough so as not to lift her off the ground but to just support her rear. It took a few steps to get it right. Too much holding and she could not use her front properly. It will take some time for the stairs.

It is very soft and is fine for bathroom. It is shaped so they can do what they need to if its on. For males, check the web site as they get more specific.

The site states It can be left on for long periods of time. I don't plan on that but I know there will be times where I will have to leave it on all day, but not at night. If its needed though, its soft enough but I would not leave it on for days at a time.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Thanks!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I'm glad you found something to help out. I know people will often put a dog down when they are not able to get up without a struggle. You are so good to your dogs.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

nope, Ill know when its time. Ill get a wheelchair when the rear gives out and the rest of her body is still functioning

I found a video a while back of a guy who made an elevator for his old corgi. I have the perfect closet set up in my house to do that too. There is a closet on the main floor right under my bedroom closet.
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

great idea. Are you still using it daily?