Downright gross!!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Downright gross!!

Post by GSDNanny »

Well at 3:30 am this morning, I stopped to ask myself, why in the world do I go to the trouble to process all this venison every hunting season for my dogs?!?! Kibble would be oh oh so much easier.

My daughter was in from college yest to interview for an externship with a Master Chef in town for a visit with his family; he lives and works in New York. Well she had to leave home for college this morning at 3:30 am to make it in time back to college for 7:30 classes. As we walked out into the garage, the stinch hit me like a brick wall!! I knew first hand what it was as I had a freezer go out on me about 5 years ago, full of deer. We have had 90+ degree weather lately and I had just processed 7 more deer carcasses Wed morn and put in the large freezer. Wellllllll.....seems that freezer went on the blink sometime yest. I dared to open the door. Dang!!!!! YUCK!!! :eew: Need I say more? I was NOT prepared to have to clean out that mess at 3:30 this morning. What a mess and what a waste! Looks like I will be buying another freezer (I have 3 just for the dog's deer) before this next Wed when I will be getting more.

Sorry, just had to vent!! Only other dog folks would understand what we do for our canine companions.

Denise Gatlin

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Downright gross!!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

OH no!!!!! I can't imagine how terrible that would be. Not only to clean up, but the loss too. :(
Kelly
Koenig
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

I know that smell and disappointment well. They need alarms on them or something.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

k9katet wrote:I know that smell and disappointment well. They need alarms on them or something.
As do I. Only my freezer was in the poll barn and it was probably out a full week before I discovered it. I had to wear a mask with some nice smelly stuff stuck inside to get through the 100s of pounds of venison and pork (we had purchased a pig from the fair for the humans). It makes me gag just thinking about it!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

k9katet wrote:I know that smell and disappointment well. They need alarms on them or something.

An alarm would be great! :wtg: Would have to be battery-powered but that is a real viable idea. Humm.....may have to try and invent that! :?: The reason I have the freezers in the garage is so that I have to walk past them daily so either I listen for the motor sounds or, in this case, smell the stinch! At least this freezer wasnt full like the last one!

Denise Gatlin

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Denise, that's just such a drag! The stench sucks, but the loss of the food and all that hard work! Uploading Total Sympathy!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

Some laboratory freezers and refrigerators have alarms and, I think, some can even be monitored online. Maybe check some lab supply (or restaurant supply) companies for an accessory alarm, one that can be retro-fitted?
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue