Still Winter

Have a photo you want to share?
Post Reply
User avatar
Diesel
Green Dog
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories

Still Winter

Post by Diesel »

I am a little jealous that most of you are well into the spring weather by now, but I have to say, this is the nicest time of year here...the sun shines bright and the temperatures are moderate.

Here's some pictures of the dogs on our walks.

Diesel got into some deep powder snow and tried to swim! It was too funny!
Attachments
Hike.jpg
Hike.jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Hike 4.jpg
Hike 4.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Hike 3.jpg
Hike 3.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Hike 2.jpg
Hike 2.jpg (97.95 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Hike 1.jpg
Hike 1.jpg (92.13 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
snowing.jpg
snowing.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
stick.jpg
stick.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Halo's first tug game...she wouldn't tug with me though
Halo's first tug game...she wouldn't tug with me though
Hazel.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Halo.jpg
Halo.jpg (15.45 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Dilo.jpg
Dilo.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Diesel spotted the Coyote
Diesel spotted the Coyote
Coyote.jpg (48.15 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Still Winter

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Yep, you have snow! But it's so pretty and sunny out. And the dogs are having fun.
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Still Winter

Post by felixone123 »

love the snowy scenery!! very pretty. looks like your dogs really like the snow and love the tug shot.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Still Winter

Post by Sugars Mom »

Wow, look at the snow! It is very pretty.

I like the pic where Halo is barley above the snow line!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Still Winter

Post by alspyce »

Would have loved seeing him "Swim" in the snow! Glad mine is all gone.
We had a JRT who would "Swim" in your hands if you just held her over the top of any water.
Great pictures!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Still Winter

Post by Dutchringgirl »

very nice pictures! Our snow is all gone too! Not that we had much.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Still Winter

Post by GSDNanny »

The photos are stunning and I have often wondered how my dogs would act with snow. Well, other than a light snow of 1-2" which we will have once every 5 years or so.

I just looked to see where you are located and you are very waaaaaay north! I've never known anyone in Canada in that area. Very interesting and the scenery (from your photos) is breath-taking.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Still Winter

Post by leih merigian »

what a gorgeous place in which you live! nice pics!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Still Winter

Post by vneerland »

You are jealous of us, I am jealous of you. ;) Would have loved some snow right now.
My AC is running and I just took my tennis shoes of, since it is too hot with jeans, T shirt and shoes. In March :(

Love the pictures. Tried to find the coyote, but couldn't :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Still Winter

Post by GSDNanny »

Oh and Judith, dont forget the swarms of mosquitoes the size of small birds and fire ants with mounds nearing 2' tall already here for an early spring, down in the deep south. :eek:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Diesel
Green Dog
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories

Re: Still Winter

Post by Diesel »

GSDNanny wrote:Oh and Judith, dont forget the swarms of mosquitoes the size of small birds and fire ants with mounds nearing 2' tall already here for an early spring, down in the deep south. :eek:
You wouldn't believe the mosquitos here! You'd think there would be less because it's so cold but they are brutal and they show up as soon as the snow STARTS melting! Plus we get nearly 24 hour daylight in the summer so there is no break throughout the day!
Diesel gets bit the most (poor guy) Halo will have a couple on her and Diesel will get 40. I don't know if it is because his coat is way shorter than hers or because he is dark and she is light.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Still Winter

Post by felixone123 »

wow - daylight 24 hrs. What's that like? I think that would take some time to get used to.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Diesel
Green Dog
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories

Re: Still Winter

Post by Diesel »

felixone123 wrote:wow - daylight 24 hrs. What's that like? I think that would take some time to get used to.
It's really neat!
It is hard to keep track of the time though...I will be out gardening or something at midnight and it feels like 8pm! But I tend to go to bed much later in the summer for that reason. It's also great for walking the dogs...no need to rush when I get home from work!
Some people have a hard time sleeping in the daylight but I worked a midnight shift for 7 years so I have no problem with it.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Still Winter

Post by Marjolein »

Nice pics, I LOVE snow :D
Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Still Winter

Post by felixone123 »

Diesel wrote:
felixone123 wrote:wow - daylight 24 hrs. What's that like? I think that would take some time to get used to.
It's really neat!
It is hard to keep track of the time though...I will be out gardening or something at midnight and it feels like 8pm! But I tend to go to bed much later in the summer for that reason. It's also great for walking the dogs...no need to rush when I get home from work!
Some people have a hard time sleeping in the daylight but I worked a midnight shift for 7 years so I have no problem with it.
Wow - I think i would like being out really late and having it feel like it's early. I would probably never sleep, only because I like being outside.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Still Winter

Post by vneerland »

Light all summer is also dark all winter though? :shock:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Diesel
Green Dog
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories

Re: Still Winter

Post by Diesel »

vneerland wrote:Light all summer is also dark all winter though? :shock:
Yes, on December 21st we get about 5 hours of daylight that's the worst of it. It does get a little depressing but because it's cold, your indoors most of the time. I got the dogs l.e.d lights for their collars so we can still do off leash walks in the dark. I don't enjoy it as much though.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
Post Reply