First Agility classes with Diesel

Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

First Agility classes with Diesel

Post by Diesel »

Diesel and I have been to 2 agility classes so far!
The first lesson he did really well but he was always looking around at the other dogs.
The second lesson he hardly needed any instruction, he saw the tunnel and he went for it!
The only problem we had is when he was on the table in a down position, the instuctor told me to release him, which I did, and at that very moment Diesel saw a fox in the bush and he went chasing after it.

We need to work on the jumps a little, he still tries to go around them. But everything else was a piece of cake for him. I am really loving it and I think Diesel is too!
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: First Agility classes with Diesel

Post by leih merigian »

Great!

However, he's definitely telling you something here...you're going to need to ramp up your engagement with him so you're more fun than all those other distractions in the environment.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh No! LOL Did he come back?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

A fox at agility class?!?!? Wow!

Sounds like you guys are having alot of fun!
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

Post by Diesel »

Yes a black fox too! They are pretty rare around here! I had to go get him but it wasn't too hard to get him back. I was suprised that I couldn't snap him out of it since he was so focused on me the rest of the time. We obviously still have lots of work to do on recall.
Our next class is tonight. I would love to get some pictures but it's hard when it's just me there.
I might build some jumps to practice with in the backyard.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
Olie
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Post by Olie »

Thats coursing + agility :))

Go go Diesel! good luck and have fun!
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Olie wrote:Thats coursing + agility :))
:lol:

Distractions are hard when they are learning. Its much more fun to chase than think!

Check out Agility Nerd: One Jump Drill (http://agilitynerd.com/blog/agility/cou ... rills.html). It is all kinds of activities that you can do with one cheap jump in your yard. Not only does in reinforce jumping as a fun activity, but it improves your communication and handling skills at the same time!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Diesel
Green Dog

Post by Diesel »

[quote="Christie M] Check out Agility Nerd: One Jump Drill (http://agilitynerd.com/blog/agility/cou ... rills.html). It is all kinds of activities that you can do with one cheap jump in your yard. Not only does in reinforce jumping as a fun activity, but it improves your communication and handling skills at the same time![/quote]

Thanks Christie! I took a look at them and we will try that for sure. Agility is done for the year, so we will need some activities to keep up his skills.

Overall, I would say the classes went really well. Diesel did get bored when he was waiting for his turn. When it was his turn, he would run the obstacle nearly perfect every time. And when he didn't, it was probably my fault for confusing him with my less than co-ordinated motions.
I really enjoyed the classes and I know Diesel did too.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo