Funny IDs

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Funny IDs

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I was a bit lost with that one! I'll even take a Pit ID, or Greyhound... but a LAB? They are like the worlds most common dog. DS's are not exactly common.... and look nothing like a lab.... lol.
Kelly
Koenig
Aztechalo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.

Post by Aztechalo »

Chaos gets the wolf question a lot. Every once in a while someone says GSD cross but more often than not, they don't venture a guess and just say, "That's a damn beautiful dog." I don't mind that people don't know what she is, that says to me that that aren't over-bred and are probably still being carefully selected for. And for those who care to know, I'm happy to educate and introduce them to the breed. of course, the dogs pretty much speak for themselves.
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

turnnburn52984 wrote:(lab? upright ears? stripes?)
:D Technically possible! (believe it or not) Yellow labradors are 'ee' (they cannot show black) so they could, in theory, hide brindle. (and you could not see it if they did)
And if you have ever seen a labrador on the downstroke...well...they you have seen standing ears! ;)
But yeah. A bit far fetched to call a DS a lab. :roll:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Today at the AKC obedience trial a guy came up and asked if Vada was a Shepherd and Boxer mix.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

We used to get dingo or coyote an awful lot and, occasionally, hyena and wolf. GSD mix is pretty common. I get excited when someone asks if they're malinois 'cause at least that's closer. One of the receptionists at our vet's office said, "Oh. Dutch Shepherd. Is that a German Shepherd from Holland?" :? Um, no. I showed her the issue of Dog Fancy which happened to be in the office at the time...the one with the Dutch Shepherd article in it. :mrgreen:

I have a "A DS is Not" bit on a DS info sign I put up at the NADSR info table. Folks seem to get a kick out if it.
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
syzygy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have two wonderful van Neerland Dutch Shepherds and play a little at UKC events.

Post by syzygy »

LOL I have had the "hyena" with my bright red brindle girl--she has a very black mask and the stripes make her look a lot like the Striped Hyena. In the local dialect it usually comes out "Hyeenee." My racier girl gets "is that a greyhound?" Plus all of the above...Pit Bull cross, Shepherd cross, Dane cross, Boxer cross, and the occasional "is that a ma..mah..mal...uh..." But mostly just a puzzled "What kind of dog IS that?"

I am assuming a "Louisiana dog" is the Catahoula Leopard Dog. Living on the LA border we see a lot of those. They look pretty close to NOTHING like a DS but are an odd color--most are dramatic blue merle and often have blue eyes. Many have a mask. I think folks just see "weird color" and that comes to mind. Plotts are still rather rare in the area though I do have one UKC club member who now has some. Coonhounds of all types are the fashion in my area.

Ya never know!

Ellisa

PS I still can't figure how to resize my photos--the image will get small but the background (white) stays the same size and counts as part of the total area. I don't have a photo editing program that can do that. I am on dial-up and it takes an hour to upload anything to photobucket, but didn't someone out there say you can resize pictures that way?
"I have gone off to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

syzygy wrote:I still can't figure how to resize my photos--the image will get small but the background (white) stays the same size and counts as part of the total area. I don't have a photo editing program that can do that. I am on dial-up and it takes an hour to upload anything to photobucket, but didn't someone out there say you can resize pictures that way?
One way to resize the images is to use the built in software that comes with Windows. it is a little different with XP, Vista, and Windows 7...but the concept is the same. I'm going to do it via a Windows 7 system running Office 2010.

This is not an EXACT method for doing it...just some quidelines. YMMV

1) make a copy of the photo you want to edit ... don't want to mess with the original. ;)
2) right click on the image
3) choose "open with"
4) choose Microsoft Office 2010 (the earlier versions have a name that is similar)
5) once open click on "Edit Picture" from the toolbar
6) from the right hand side choose resize. The easiest thing is to choose Predefined width x height. Then choose a setting that meets the maximum for DSF (currently 700x700)
7) Look below that section and click on OK
8) click on Compress Pictures settings
9) look below that and you will see "estimated total size". You will see "original" and "compressed."
10) Choose the radio button for "web pages" and it will compress the image.

The limitations on dimensions and size of the image are done so that the Forum members on slower internet connections have a chance of actually viewing the image before the turn of the century. :mrgreen:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
KRoberts626
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch Shepherd owner. Used to own/train Beaucerons.

Post by KRoberts626 »

A woman asked me on Saturday at my son's football game if Ziva was a Malinois! That was the most educated guess I've gotten so far :D
Kristen Roberts
Vrijheid's Guitan aka "Ziva" - Dutch Shepherd
Ryne des Chevaliers du Noir, CGC, FR trained (RIP 12/07 - Beauceron)
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

KRoberts626 wrote:A woman asked me on Saturday at my son's football game if Ziva was a Malinois! That was the most educated guess I've gotten so far :D
you did punch her though, right? :stone: :mrgreen:

The people on my German dogsport-club know me by now, they always wait for a few seconds before they say it... "your's was a....... Belgi.." NO!!! :rant: Most know they are DS now, or they just don't dare to ask anymore :lol:
KRoberts626
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch Shepherd owner. Used to own/train Beaucerons.

Post by KRoberts626 »

Marjolein wrote:
KRoberts626 wrote:A woman asked me on Saturday at my son's football game if Ziva was a Malinois! That was the most educated guess I've gotten so far :D
you did punch her though, right? :stone: :mrgreen:

The people on my German dogsport-club know me by now, they always wait for a few seconds before they say it... "your's was a....... Belgi.." NO!!! :rant: Most know they are DS now, or they just don't dare to ask anymore :lol:

Nah I got excited LOL Not only that it was a fairly educated guess (average person doesn't know what a Malinois is), but she pronounced it correctly! :)
Kristen Roberts
Vrijheid's Guitan aka "Ziva" - Dutch Shepherd
Ryne des Chevaliers du Noir, CGC, FR trained (RIP 12/07 - Beauceron)