Catchin' up

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Catchin' up

Post by GSDNanny »

Catchin up on the forum topics as I have been out of pocket the past couple of weeks. My Dad passed away last Thurs after a series of fiasco events in the hospital. He was supposed to come home after a bout of pneumonia but things went downhill fast.

I am now trying to get my mind, heart and soul back in gear while assisting mom in her affairs. Family and friends are all constantly in contact which is very nice, but the most comforting of all (and I feel I can say this freely on this forum) are my dogs. You all know how that is. The dogs have been great, very accommodating and loving, patient and it is as if they just know how I feel. I can not imagine being without them.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Catchin' up

Post by Raven »

You don't know me, but alas, allow me to extend my thoughts to you during this time of loss as well as now helping your mother. It is difficult.

We are given our memories so that we may have wildflowers in winter....

(Though you are from Louisiana, you know what I mean.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Thank you very much, Raven.

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Oh Denise, I am so sorry for your loss! And, so glad you've got your pups there to be such a great comfort during such a painful and difficult time.

I know you'll get this one, too...I've lost both parents, some very dear friends, and the grandmother who raised me, and still, losing my Zodi was much harder for me (and still is, nearly two years later). I guess regular people wouldn't get that, but I know you will.

hugs...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
GSDNanny
Training Dog

Post by GSDNanny »

Not sure how many on here have a DS that literally hugs but my Zip does. If I am lying in bed or on the couch, she scoots right next to me and puts both front paws and legs on my shoulders and presses her head under my neck really tight and holding tight. None of my German Sheps were ever that affectionate. She is a real jewel.

GSDNanny
Training Dog

Post by GSDNanny »

leih merigian wrote:Oh Denise, I am so sorry for your loss! And, so glad you've got your pups there to be such a great comfort during such a painful and difficult time.

I know you'll get this one, too...I've lost both parents, some very dear friends, and the grandmother who raised me, and still, losing my Zodi was much harder for me (and still is, nearly two years later). I guess regular people wouldn't get that, but I know you will.

hugs...
Leih, oh my, you have really lost some dear family members and friends. I am so sorry to hear that. Thank you for the kind words.

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I'm sorry for your loss :(
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

GSDNanny wrote:Not sure how many on here have a DS that literally hugs but my Zip does. If I am lying in bed or on the couch, she scoots right next to me and puts both front paws and legs on my shoulders and presses her head under my neck really tight and holding tight. None of my German Sheps were ever that affectionate. She is a real jewel.
Geyser is working right up to this! She puts her forelegs on my shoulders, then starts a kissing fest, especially around my ears, as I think she loves that it tickles me and makes me laugh really hard. I think when the jerko adolescent days are in her past, this will turn into something more affectionate. Then again, she has quite a sense of humor, too, so maybe she'll just stick with the tickling.

I love hearing about Zip and other DSs, as they really really are different from GSDs and I'm still learning how Geyser is similar to others of her kind.

It is just too cute for words that she hugs you so sweetly...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Denise! I hope you have many fond memories to help you through this period in your life, and a lot of strenght to be the rock that your mother will, no doubt, need to lean on. All while you snuggle up to your own dogs in the quiet moments when nobody is around, and feel utterly lost yourself. Hang in there. It does not get much easier, but you will get used to it anyway.

Cyber hugs from your 'neighbor'
Judith
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

I'm sorry for your loss. It's even harder when it's unexpected.

Dogs are so amazing at reading us and knowing when we are sad and need some comfort or some cheering up.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com