Experienced Insight & Reading DS Material

vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Experienced Insight & Reading DS Material

Post by vneerland »

Naturally. :roll:
Can you loan me 66 dollars Marjolein? I will pay you back in two installments of 23 dollars. :P ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:Naturally. :roll:
Can you loan me 66 dollars Marjolein? I will pay you back in two installments of 23 dollars. :P ;)
I actually woke up over this in the middle of the night, and wondered how the *beep* I came up with 66 pounds :yernuts:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:
I actually woke up over this in the middle of the night, and wondered how the *beep* I came up with 66 pounds :yernuts:
So you won't loan me 66 bucks and let me make payments? :cry:
:mrgreen:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:
Marjolein wrote:
So you won't loan me 66 bucks and let me make payments? :cry:
:mrgreen:
nope :dsrazz:
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Just a Thor update and thanks to all for their support.

Made some "small" changes that resulted in some nice, immediate returns. (Though a challenge, Thor was responsive when we first brought him home. I took on too many other projects, resulting in my own distractions....) So!

1) Changed the value systems of his rewards.
2) Focus on full positive reinforcement (as opposed to partial reinforcement and correction).
3) Play always involved work, but NO toys/play until after work and then has to work for every toss, throw, tug, etc. while focused on me.
4) Cut back on personal projects.
(# 5 is still forthcoming: the crate. Decided on plastic; may have a new one coming from an airport that no longer ships animals. The husband is all about getting a crate now--almost bought a metal one until he remembered the airport thing and that I ended up leaning toward plastic.)

A few examples of results thus far, off-lead, in house or in baclyard:
1) Sound of a school bus--no reaction.
2) Other external noises, such as BANGS from thick sheets of ice falling from house, if he reacts, it's alarm and platforms on command and/or monitors himself (quits) and/or comes to me without command.
3) Muzzle goes on. (Need a new one with a better fit.)
4) Controlled heelwork: eyes up at me.
5) Down-stays: while he'd been at 30-minutes (grunting and with correction on-lead/off-lead), he's typically good-to-go off-lead. Responds better (not perfectly) with outside distractions.

Long way to go...but not as long as we had seven months ago when he came home...or even last month.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Raven wrote:Just a Thor update and thanks to all for their support.

Made some "small" changes that resulted in some nice, immediate returns. (Though a challenge, Thor was responsive when we first brought him home. I took on too many other projects, resulting in my own distractions....) So!

1) Changed the value systems of his rewards.
2) Focus on full positive reinforcement (as opposed to partial reinforcement and correction).
3) Play always involved work, but NO toys/play until after work and then has to work for every toss, throw, tug, etc. while focused on me.
4) Cut back on personal projects.
(# 5 is still forthcoming: the crate. Decided on plastic; may have a new one coming from an airport that no longer ships animals. The husband is all about getting a crate now--almost bought a metal one until he remembered the airport thing and that I ended up leaning toward plastic.)

A few examples of results thus far, off-lead, in house or in baclyard:
1) Sound of a school bus--no reaction.
2) Other external noises, such as BANGS from thick sheets of ice falling from house, if he reacts, it's alarm and platforms on command and/or monitors himself (quits) and/or comes to me without command.
3) Muzzle goes on. (Need a new one with a better fit.)
4) Controlled heelwork: eyes up at me.
5) Down-stays: while he'd been at 30-minutes (grunting and with correction on-lead/off-lead), he's typically good-to-go off-lead. Responds better (not perfectly) with outside distractions.

Long way to go...but not as long as we had seven months ago when he came home...or even last month.

OMG - how have I been SO stupid??????????

Sharon? We have all been calling you Raven and I just never made the connection. Was Raven your previous Dutch?

This is MY Thor that we are talking about?? Crap. Although I know I mentioned that I wasn't sure if someone would ever come along who would be strong enough and confident enough to adopt him. You were absolutely his Saviour because he was one of those "hard call" adoption cases.

I'm glad that you ordered and like the crate games DVD. He was fine in a crate or kennel run here. And he did fine in the car and on his transports. Hopefully his acceptance of it will be easy. He never baulked or acted in the slightest stressed over it before.

I hate that he followed through on my prediction "I don't think I could ever make him bite me, but I don't trust him to make the same good choices with other people." But yes, now that I know who we are talking about - I don't think its a fear based reaction. He is a CONFIDENT dog. I think he has just learned that his cocky behavior can cause a reaction in other people. Good for you for being so proactive and helping "fix" him. I love him to pieces and he is SO very lucky to have found his way to your home!!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

BTW - Sharon, welcome to the forum!! Everyone, this is Sharon. Sharon, meet everyone :D

I'm glad that you made it over here. There is a ton of DS knowledge and a bigger ton of general dog knowledge as well. I think you will really enjoy reading and contributing to the threads, especially knowing your passion for "getting it."

Can you do us all a HUGE favor?? If you go to your user control panel, you have the option of creating a signature. I probably wouldn't have be AS SLOW on the uptake had I seen your name associated with Thor's. Obviously I was only contributing a small amount to this thread - and that's generally a good indicator that rescue work is CRAZY!!! But a signature is alway helpful and kinda required. You can also upload a picture of your handsome man as an avatar.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

My boy is a handsome brute, though, ain't he? I tried to download a photo of him as an avatar, but my computer won't downsize, which is why I opened up a host account for my photos. (Don't think that I can extract from there, though.)

I do like this forum and read through things as time allows.

Thor's former owner and I keep in touch; he wants to hear about him and receive photos/videos. I sent him a video from October, where I'd only had him four months. He wrote back stating that he had sent it to everyone who knew Thor and how amazed they all were of the positive changes in him and that I've done a remarkable job with him.

We all make mistakes, and mine was getting too involved with outside projects. From our mistakes, we learn, as do others.

I sent you a video a few weeks back...you must not have received it. Through the thread, I'd wonder: Why is Christie responding in a manner that seems as though she doesn't know Thor and me?

I can send you my private photo/video account information so you can access it (you know, in all of your spare time). I don't think you'd recognize him as Thor if you didn't know it was him. I have more to upload. Not easy trying to run the camera and the drills.

Give all of your critters a big hug from all of us.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~