Acid Reflux

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Acid Reflux

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Hey guys so I have a question... Seems Hendrix has developed acid reflux suddenly. In the course of bizarre problems he likes to hand me, here's the latest.

- dewormed (hook worm) about 1.5 months ago
- gidaria showed up and was put on Albacon almost three weeks ago (about 2 weeks from the deworming)
- after two weeks of Albacon, another week goes by with stomach upset/dire rear
- two weeks (half a week of probiotic by pill, two days off, then about a week of raw goats milk)
- everything clears up once he's back on his kibble full time (we found rice is almost I digested by his stomach) for about four days
- he goes onto Benadryl about a week ago for allergies
- now this week, starting about two days ago he vomits up bile in the early morning (I think around 5 am again). Is fine after that. Next night he seems VERY uncomfortable - licking lips and drinking a ton of water, kind of restless and groaning sporadically - but belly isn't distended or tight and he's not trying to vomit or pace. He's normal except for the clear upset tummy. I give him a small amount of pumpkin and some chicken. He doesn't throw up but I take him out multiple times throughout the night and offer all the water he can stand. Yesterday he went on boiled chicken for a day at the vet's recommendation. I again offer him a small meal before bedtime (10:30 pm). He promptly vomits at 5:30 am. Again, just bile. Again, afterwards is fine and bouncy. Vet recommends Prisolec and to call for an appointment if he vomits again. Today his poo clearly screamed "stomach upset" from last night. Since he seemed fine on his kibble and yesterday was mostly chicken, I'm switching him back to kibble to see if that helps cut down the acid since I have a theory he digests the chicken much faster (scientifically I question this but we're still figure this out).

So here's my question. Since he's still young and only vomits when he has worms or is dehydrated, the once a night vomiting is unusual for him. If he was sick, as weird as this sounds, he wouldn't let me pull him away from his vomit easily. But since he is like "ew. Okay what we doing next mom?" I don't think it's a virus or bacteria. Also his poo would be the first thing to go off if he was sick and since it up until this morning has been the best it has been within the two months, I really don't know what to think. While I'm not crossing out maybe a reoccurrence of girdaria... Can acid reflux develop so suddenly? I know his GI track has taken some hits recently and I'm hoping once the acid is under control he'll be fine. Is this common or uncommon for a "teen"? Anyone have any other suggestions?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: Acid Reflux

Post by karenz »

How old is he? I'm not an expert or a vet but Xander did the same thing every morning for days at a time. He was between 5 and 10 months when he did this. He eats dinner around 630 and nothing else after. I started giving him a snack when I go to bed around 10. It's not much, just a doggie treat. Once I started doing that he stopped throwing up in the morning. His was foamy liquidy whitish yellowish stuff. Maybe he just grew out of it or maybe the snack helped. I don't know. Just my two cents. It ain't worth much.
Karen & Xander
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

if we are talking the same foamy white/yellow liquid that Karen referenced, a number of my dogs [ Xander in my current crew ] have done that. if there is a reason, by observation it would appear to be sometimes when they are hungry [ when they have gone longer than usual without food ], but i am not sure that always pertains and less sure that it is a reason. whatever the reason, that specific sort of occasional vomiting has not seemed to have any greater meaning. but if one does it one day, it seems more likely to happen soon again, then all goes quiet for awhile. Kira, is this the type of vomit Hendrix is experiencing?
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

With all that has been done, it could helpful to start feeding some yogurt. Be sure it contains "Live, Active" cultured bacteria, (Stonyfield brand) Read the label, or make your own - it's not hard, and much cheaper.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Typically when they vomit bile in the morning it is because of an empty stomach. The dog is hungry, the acid is churning, hello foamy bile. However, this by itself doesn't usually produce dire-rear as well.
From reading your post, it sounds to me like the bigger issue is that his gut is very angry because of the worms and giardia (and the medication to treat those things)...not unusual. I always keep colostrum and slippery elm powder on hand so that if any of my dogs (personal or foster) have gut issues that go on for more than a day or so, I can treat the gut specifically.
Here is what I would do before trying the Prilosec if Hendrix were my dog :
~ 1- 2 tsp of colostrum powder mixed with 1 tbsp of organic goat's milk yogurt at mealtime
~ probiotics with meals for sure
~ 2 tbsp slippery elm syrup before meals

And, yes, the boiled chicken will digest faster because it is not processed.

**Recipe for slippery elm syrup**
Thoroughly mix 1 slightly rounded tsp of slippery elm powder in 1 cup of cold water. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Then turn down the heat to simmer and continue to stir for another 2 to 3 minutes while the mixture thickens slightly. Take it off the heat. Can be refrigerated in a sealed container for 7-8 days.
For dogs: add 1 tsp. honey.
Dosage: 1/2 to 1 tsp. for small dogs, 2 tsps to 2 tablespoons for medium dogs, and 3-4 tablespoons for large dogs.

For cats: (do not add honey) give 1/2 to 1 ts.to cats and small dogs.

(Slippery Elm syrup, by the way, is very soothing to a human sore throat.)

edit** Also, if he has a propensity for picking up worms, you might think about adding food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) to his diet.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Thanks all for the great suggestions! Yup it is the white foamy yellow liquid Karenz mentioned. It's not uncommon for him to barf that every once in a while but when he starts doing it every night is when I pause. His bedtime and feedings (twice a day with a section of his kibble held back as "training treats") are slightly varied day to day and he usually gets a snack before bedtime. I gave him like an 1/8th of a cup of kibble or less last night before bed (I specifically did this around midnight, five hours from his last meal) and we made it until about 7:30 before he woke me up with signs he was gonna hurl soon. Knowing an episode was on the horizon I got up and after letting him outside to make sure he wasn't going to hurl, fed him.

It seems like the bit larger snack than what he gets helped a little. Today he still seems a little uncomfortable but he's also being a complete pill so it could just be him being a teen. I plan on doing a fecal tomorrow, just to rule out any possible worms that might take the opportunity. Although honestly I think his gut must be like a summer's day in Las Vegas with no shade with how irritated it is; how anything could survive in that! What gets me is that hypothetically he maybe goes 7-10 hours from his last snack to breakfast, and during the day will go about 6-8 hours between breakfast and his training ration, then about 5-7 hours between training ration and dinner, and about 3-5 hours between dinner and his bedtime snack.

Stacey - I'll try that! I just started the Prilosec today (I should have taken some too - his heartburn has caused me to have heartburn! lol) so it won't be a problem to try what you suggested too. And yup seems like he is prone to worms… I have some food grade DE but was waiting until his gut healed a bit more before giving it to him. At this rate I may just start adding it in. Do you sprinkle it on their food or mix it with something?

Hoping this clears up soon. I really need more sleep! :)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

Kira, in the absence of primary worm or other detectable bacterial or parasitic infections [ which, of course, require their own specific treatments ], i have had incredible luck in getting wacky gastrointestinal systems in order with a Platinum Performance product called Bio-Sponge, adding a little bit to food every day for a few weeks when needed.
[ i have frequently mentioned this company as i have used their main canine product pretty much every day for 14 years. it was highly praised by veterinary journals back then and it offers complete nutritional support with superb ingredients. for example, its omega-3(DHA) is sourced from algae, which is the purest, highest-quality form possible. ---''Canine Wellness & Performance Formula + Complete Joint'' - clumsy name but it was all they did for dogs for a long time.]

given all Hendrix's issues, i would every day do probiotic with main meal, good yogurt [ i use as bedtime snack just before their teeth-cleaning snack], and 1000mg of Vitamin C in the form of ascorbyl palmitate.

unless there was some clear, CRITICAL reason that i was aware of, i would not have him on benedryl or prilosec as they both can have side-effects [ diarrhea just one effect of prilosec ]; would want to see him without any drugs in him and see how he does with just a helpful diet and nutritional support.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: And yup seems like he is prone to worms… I have some food grade DE but was waiting until his gut healed a bit more before giving it to him. At this rate I may just start adding it in. Do you sprinkle it on their food or mix it with something?
Just sprinkle it on. You can mix it with goat's milk yogurt for now if you do the colostrum + yogurt.

Just a word here on process of elimination... If you go the natural route, then forego the Prilosec or you won't know which really worked. And the Prilosec may upset his gut even more at this stage. Just my :twocents:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Would raw goat's milk work instead? I can't seem to find goat's milk yogurt here - even our raw goat's milk is hard to find and must be slightly colored with beta carotene to denote "not suitable for human consumption".

He's off Prilosec tomorrow. He threw up today on it and I realized I much prefer bile vomit to… other vomit. For a one day trial I do have to question why the vet would recommend such a nasty thing… oh well, live and learn.

And I do try to go the natural method as much as possible, but I haven't found a natural remedy that helps with his allergies. This season has been tough for everyone here and he only gets Benadryl when he goes into sneezing fits for a day or two and even then for a week at a time. I unfortunately know too much about down regulation. He seems to handle it fairly well. I'm open for natural allergy remedies if anyone has some!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:He's off Prilosec tomorrow. He threw up today on it and I realized I much prefer bile vomit to… other vomit. For a one day trial I do have to question why the vet would recommend such a nasty thing… oh well, live and learn.
I was afraid of that. :puke: :eew: The majority of vets today (much like our own doctors) tend to default to treating the symptoms instead of the problem (which is why so many people are on so much medication).

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Would raw goat's milk work instead? I can't seem to find goat's milk yogurt here - even our raw goat's milk is hard to find and must be slightly colored with beta carotene to denote "not suitable for human consumption".
Do you have an organic grocery store there? Trader Joes, Whole Foods, EarthFare, etc. They typically have the goat's milk yogurt. With gut issues I like to use yogurt because of the bacteria cultures. You could mix the colostrum with goat's milk if you can't find gm yogurt. I have used organic cow's milk yogurt (Stoneyfield) in a pinch, but I prefer goat's milk yogurt because it is easier to digest, contains less lactose, and is less allergenic due to its protein contents. If Hendrix is prone to allergies, I would stick with gm and gm yogurt. And I'm sure you know this, but it's one of those things that has to be said...any yogurt given should be plain, not flavored. I know you know that, but I feel better now just saying it...LOL.

Here is a link to Redhill Farms (the goat's milk brand I buy) and their store locator:
http://www.redwoodhill.com/store-locator/

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:I haven't found a natural remedy that helps with his allergies. This season has been tough for everyone here and he only gets Benadryl when he goes into sneezing fits for a day or two and even then for a week at a time. I unfortunately know too much about down regulation. He seems to handle it fairly well. I'm open for natural allergy remedies if anyone has some!
Do you know exactly what he is allergic to? You can go the homeopathic route if you know exactly, but it can be frustrating (I speak from experience with my min-pin...turns out his main issue is his thyroid and I was treating for allergies...go figure :pint: ).

Also, this is going to sound weird, but it is important to get the gut working properly before going full speed on other things. Many things, e.g. allergies, will work themselves out once the gut is functioning properly. What kind of kibble are you feeding? Also, are you adding in fish oil and vitamin e (fish oil is a source of EFA and is a natural anti-inflammatory; vitamin e needs to be added because fish oil inhibits the absorption of vitamin e from foods)? You can add in some ester-C to help balance the immune system once you get his gut in shape...this may help with allergies. In the meantime, you can try environmental things like wiping his feet and coat down when he comes inside, washing his bedding every couple of days, vacuuming like a mad woman, and so forth.

If it were me, I would fix his gut first and then work on treating any allergies he may have.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

A quick reply before I head into a few hours of testing for myself.... Went to the vet today after a full night of vomit and on the hour dire rear. He tested positive for bacteria but they didn't get enough to properly test for what kind. If he ever poos again (because seriously, I think he emptied himself out) we'll do another fecal. Until then he's on metrosomething.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Oh for heaven's sake!! That boy!!! What has he gotten himself into???
~Stacy
Mom to:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Okay, so, I love Hendrix but I hate him. He found and caught a freaking mouse tonight. The mouse and I were both screaming. The mouse didn't make it and neither did my wrist. Mr. H was more than happy to still try to investigate it while I pulled him away. So that gives us a new avenue to look into since I didn't even know we had mice. They may have been around for a bit and we just happened to catch them.

On the good news, he stopped vomiting. He's not uncomfortable at night anymore since being on the Flagyl. His poo issues are seeming better but he simply refuses to poo more than once a day no matter what I do. I would say it's constipation except I've watched him specifically stop so he wouldn't poo. If he's still doing this tomorrow I'll report it to the vet. I think his butt is just sore from the Witching Poo Hour the night before and I don't blame him. That was a horrible night.

His fecal came back from the vet as high in bacteria but no specific strands or concentration stood out. Just abnormally high amounts of it. No worms and no blood. So that's good! And while he's not feeling the best he's feeling way better than a few days ago. Happier and energy is recovering, less frantic and more concentrated.

I've kept him on his kibble, limiting to no more than 1/2 cup every 3-4 hours, and while the vet said keep him on Prilosec I refused. I also started keeping a journal of everything he eats and his symptoms to see if I can't narrow down what the heck is going on. Vet suggested SIBO/EPI but half his symptoms don't fit, especially if you look at his history of dire rear, especially the major ones. A friend of mine suggested it's his food but again, when things are balanced he can get great stools on it without any probiotics and stay that way for a long while. So it's hard for me to think Orijen Large Puppy is too rich for him.

In the meantime I'm giving him a 1/4 of a teaspoon of coconut oil (at this point I'm covering bases in small amounts) and slowly slowly slowly working up, and once he's off the Flagyl I'll start the colostrum and slippery elm. I was able to find some goat milk yogurt finally! As for his allergies they seem to be environmental and he's in and out all day wiping him down became his favorite way of eating rags and/or wipes. Our backyard lost it's new grass and is mainly a weed no one can identify and we're in stage 4 water restrictions so it's dusty and pollen-y in the worst ways we've seen in a long time. I dust, mop, and vaccuum every day inside and we all have allergies that are crazy bad or have changed. We have cottonwood spores down the street from us, at least 4 different grasses in the neighborhood, dogwood trees blooming, weeds we've never seen... It's literally a bizarre mix of jungle and dying plants right now that has everyone contemplating how to burn down the green things without burning the city. It's sad. :(

So that's our update. I'm hoping something will work soon. This is getting insane quickly. And the mouse thing... I HATE mice so they make me paranoid when it's just me. When it's me and Mr. H I go insane "how many mouse traps is she buying again?" crazy. I'll be Mouse Rambo now... (I haven't had much sleep in the last few days - can you tell? (; lol)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

I would definitely add in a probiotic while he is on the Flagyl. You want good bacteria and the Flagyl is going to kill/prohibit growth of bacteria in general. You only want the bad bacteria gone. 1 Tbsp of goat's milk yogurt + probiotic with food once a day.

And careful with the coconut oil...too much = dire rear...been there, done that. Every dog is different, just be careful. Tyson, for example, can only handle 1 tsp (max) per day or his stools get loose. My mini-schnauzer (who is 1/4 his weight) can handle 1-1/2 tsp per day and is fine...and my 6 lb min-pin gets 1 tsp and is fine.

I would do at least a week of the colostrum + yogurt and slippery elm post Flagyl, just to help him get over the hump. If he does fine on the colostrum and slippery elm and then starts to have issues once you take him off of it, you can add it back in. I would definitely keep him on a probiotic for a while to make sure the bacteria balances out.

Also, if you think he may be constipated (though I'm like you and can't see how since the poor guy probably has very little in his system), plain canned pumpkin. Maybe he just feels like he has to with everything going on in his gut, but really doesn't have to. I agree with the multiple, small meals every 3-4 hours. This will put less stress on his system.

Like you, I wouldn't blame the food...food in and of itself isn't going to cause bacteria overgrowth.

He may just be a sensitive sort who needs a boost in digestive enzymes and probiotics. Here is a really good product that blends both and you can just sprinkle it on his food (or you can mix it with gm yogurt and put that on his food):
http://www.thewholisticpet.com/products ... lustm.html

Oh, and Tyson says "way to go, killer!" in regards to the mouse. Tyson's favorite activity is to hunt down, torture, and eat mice. :eew:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Is there a certain ideal amount or limit to give him per day Stacey? I was just re-reading the doses you suggested and wondered if too much could hurt?

He's doing a bit better now. Someone slipped him some Orijen treats and we had an imbalance and lost a bit of footing but he's back on kibble and boiled chicken only and is slowly but surely getting better. Halfway through the Flagyl and he's decided to poo twice a day now, instead of his once a day thing when he first started.

LOL! Hendrix says "come on over Tyson!" He's caught three (gag) and I finally figured out the best place to put traps and now I've caught 2. I really dislike mice.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
deadrabbits
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue

Post by deadrabbits »

I am happy to hear he is doing better. You should see our property ( chalk full of round tail ground squirrels and boy does pepper love them). Last year alone i got 178 in 5 months and this year pepper has got 14. She goes bananas and digs after them when they go in there hole.
Is there a certain type of probiotic that you prefer. I would like to get some for pepper. And who couldn't resist slipping him a treat with please mom look. It's hard for me
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

What the heck is it with mice in the house this summer? We're having an issue, too--but didn't start until May. Don't get it. I was trying to be nice about it, but they wouldn't listen (to the sonic plug-in thingy), so I bought every stinkin' trap they had at the store and went to battle. I win!

Hendrix reminds me of The Perils of Pauline. Geeeeeeez, the guy never cuts you any slack. (Glad he's doing better, though.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Hendrix LOVES chasing prey. Rabbits, squirrels, mice… he even goes fishing for fish. And the flies… He's a killing machine. Yet frogs are playthings and mice are more fun after they're dead. :eew: :dschick:

Casey - we've used Purina FortiFlora and this: http://www.amazon.com/Herbsmith-Microfl ... probiotics
The MicroFlora one is the current one we have and it seems to work better than the Purina one, but the Purina one was also good. This just works faster it seems. Easy to pull apart capsules (or keep the capsules and wrap in peanut butter) and Hendrix always doesn't seem to hate it. Stacey recommended another and I want to try the Vetri-Science Probiotic Chews (http://www.amazon.com/Vetri-Science-Pro ... probiotics). I think we'll try Stacey's next.

Sharon - I have NO idea. In the East mice are the Devil's Spawn and you practically have to nuke them out of the homes. So I really dislike the critters. I have never seen a mouse here and suddenly there's 7 in the backyard. In the summer. I pulled out the big guns as my friends laughed at "why I was so afraid of a little mouse". The first one I caught was close to five inches without tail. And they don't play nice! We were told to put them along the walls in the East and here they run straight down the sidewalk like a highway.

Yup, no rest for me. Today he was mad I was sorting through old clothes to give away and not paying him attention. So he broke into the bathroom (because he's figured out how to open doors) and after finding I had fixed the toilet so his precious "water bowl" was blocked (I still can't explain how one looses a toilet lid), proceeded to collect every towel in the bathroom and create a rolling, twirling, tumbling, growling, jumping, towel waving, Hendrix Ghost. I'm beginning to think his demonic possession hour has just cleverly disguised itself as his antics… and manifested to being all day. :eek:
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

been wiped out by the system!!!
i've been out of action a lot, but just wrote thoroughlyon 2 topics - how to keep mice away [ which i will try to address again another time]
and that facts presented suggest Hendrix may have picked up a tropical disease - which vets and doctors alike in this country tend to not recognize or know how to treat. absolutely critical to keep him filled with good bacteria during and after treatment. anyone interested in why i think this and what it means should feel free to contact me.
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Is there a certain ideal amount or limit to give him per day Stacey? I was just re-reading the doses you suggested and wondered if too much could hurt?
I don't think that too much would *hurt* per se, but these are just meant to aid, so I wouldn't go over the recommended doses.

By the way, colostrum can be good for allergies. SO if you try the colostrum, you may want to keep up with that even after you get through this. Who knows...maybe it will be helpful for his allergies! BONUS!

The slippery elm syrup coats the gut and calms it down. I usually start with the lowest recommended dose and work up if I don't see some sort of result in a couple of days.

Yogurt does have fat in it, so too much can result in flatulence if your dog is sensitive to fat. I usually don't give more than 1 Tbsp.

The reason I like the enzyme+probiotic powder I sent you the link to is that a) it is a powder so I can just sprinkle it on, and b) for ease...it has both the enzymes and the probiotics mixed in.

There is another combination that I have used with my miniature schnauzer when her tummy goes whacko and a foster dog who had a horrible time getting her gut back in shape after worms. Actually, it sounds much like what you have been going through with Hendrix. I was ready to pull my hair out.
They are:

http://shop.mercola.com/product/complet ... ,266,2.htm

and

http://shop.mercola.com/product/healthy ... ,271,2.htm

So you said he has been poo-ing. How are his stools? Does the Flagyl seem to be working (it's been a week now, right?)?
~Stacy
Mom to: