I should've posted this a long time ago, but I wanted to be absolutely certain that he was adoptable, so I'd like to introduce my newest little (ok kind of large) buddy, Rokko. He's a NADSR dog and he's looking for a new home. He came to me 2 months ago for a board and train and decided he liked us so much, he'd stick around and see what being fostered was all about.
He is by far the biggest uncoordinated goofball I've ever met. He's best friends with our chickens and loves gardening. He's been trained in basic obedience and is ready to take his CGC. He's also been introduced to all 5 UKC nosework odors which includes the 3 that NACSW uses. He will need additional training during the adjustment period to his new home, but he's such a sweetheart and he's willing to work really hard at getting over his fears if someone has the time to work with him. Trudy has been going through the pre-approved applications, but we haven't been able to find the right home for him yet.
Isn't he a ham?
Introducing Rokko!
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Introducing Rokko!
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
Mobil
- Training Dog
- Posts: 528
- Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.
- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: Introducing Rokko!
Whaaaaaaaaa! HE'S SO AWESOME! Looks like he's a goofball like Mr. H. Love that!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: Introducing Rokko!
so that's what you've been up to! wonderful. great mask he has!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Introducing Rokko!
He is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! A male Sadie !!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: Introducing Rokko!
He looks like such a HAPPY boy!!! Oh, how I wish I could snatch him up!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
-
Mark77
- Training Dog
- Posts: 468
- Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.
Re: Introducing Rokko!
He definitely looks to have Mal mixed in him. High strung? Any nerve issues? I got one here and she is a handful but completely fearless- she goes after the pit next door that outweighs her by at least 35 pounds. Looks like your dog would settle in fine with the right home. How much you looking to get for him? Is he fixed and also how old is he? Weight? My neighbor lost his dog last year I can ask if he's interested. They love my female Mal Dutchie mix and invite her over to their house all the time- so maybe, I can always ask.
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Introducing Rokko!
We're fairly certain he has a good dose of malinois in him. He was thought to be a malinois all his life and all of his paperwork says mal, but he has stripes. Rokko was originally pulled by malinois rescue, but was transferred after a few days when the coordinator got a good look at him. He has one side that's almost completely sable fawn and the other side is a light brindle.Mark77 wrote:He definitely looks to have Mal mixed in him. High strung? Any nerve issues? I got one here and she is a handful but completely fearless- she goes after the pit next door that outweighs her by at least 35 pounds. Looks like your dog would settle in fine with the right home. How much you looking to get for him? Is he fixed and also how old is he? Weight? My neighbor lost his dog last year I can ask if he's interested. They love my female Mal Dutchie mix and invite her over to their house all the time- so maybe, I can always ask.
He's with the North American Dutch Shepherd rescue, so any interested parties would have to be approved through them, and the adoption fee is set by the rescue. I'm just his temporary home, putting some training in to help him along. Right now, Trudy is going through about 30 pre-approved applications from the area to see if any matches are still waiting for a dog. If we don't find any pre-approved matches, his bio will be made public on the facebook page and website.
All rescue dogs are fixed before being adopted out. He's neutered now and I believe that was done when he was 5 months old. He just turned a year in March. He does have some fears, which are typical for a dog his age without previous training, but he responds well to balanced training and will end up being a nice active pet. He settles better than my 3 year old working line DS (Elli) and I think he'll only get calmer with age and additional training. He doesn't have much of a prey drive. He likes to play tug, but not very intensely and would rather do other things like chase bumblebees and plant flowers. He's fine with other dogs, cats, and chickens. One of my chickens landed on his head the other day and he thought nothing of it. Rokko will lay by the coop and let them pluck his loose fur too. He actually prefers the company of chickens to that of other dogs.
I don't see him being a sport or protection dog and probably not much of an agility dog, but he does love nosework and would do well in Rally with someone that may be interested in it for fun or occasional competition. He's very tall and perfect for heeling with me (I'm 6'1"). He's about 65lbs now. He's got a good 2 inches on Odin, so I'd imagine he'll top out around 72-75lbs, but he won't be nearly as muscular.
We're trying to keep him somewhat local to Michigan so he can continue training and to keep transport as easy as possible, but that could change if the perfect home comes along. If there is an adopter close to me, I will provide additional free training if he comes back to my facility with his family on a regular basis. He also needs to go to a DS or Mal experienced home. I'm not looking to just get rid of him or place him to just anybody. He will be staying here as long as he needs to. He fits in fine here, but my goal in this is not to keep him, but rather get him ready for a new home so I can help more like him.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
nvd
- Puppy
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Name is Nick, I am Canadian and my background is Dutch.
I love dogs and animals in general. I have always wanted a DS.
So now im in the process to educate my self on them before I
take the plunge! - Now I have one! not like any other dog thats
forsure! - Location: Waterford, Ontario
Re: Introducing Rokko!
Did you / NDSRA find a home for Rokko yet?
Nick V.
Dutch Shepherd - Tyson - Born June 12, 2014
Dutch Shepherd - Tyson - Born June 12, 2014
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Introducing Rokko!
I've received an application from NADSR that seems like a perfect match and the couple is only 1.5 hours from me. We're setting up a meet and greet for this weekend. Fingers Crossed!
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA


Facebook page.