BARN HUNT???

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
ICE
Training Dog
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

BARN HUNT???

Post by ICE »

Anyone try barn hunt? I never seen many organized sport post on this forum. Ice does IPO, agility and now barn hunt. It really is allot of fun. I started doing it with my mixed breed (who is excellent at it) and decide to bring Ice to practice on day and he is really doing well! I attached some pics of him and his "sister".. :-)
DSCN1414.JPG
DSCN1414.JPG (317.05 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
DSCN1416.JPG
DSCN1416.JPG (320.59 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
DSCN1421.JPG
DSCN1421.JPG (312.87 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
DSCN1480.JPG
DSCN1480.JPG (310.92 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
DSCN1467.JPG
DSCN1467.JPG (308.06 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Patty and Ice
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: BARN HUNT???

Post by Dutchringgirl »

very cool. Id do it if i still had my barn !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: BARN HUNT???

Post by Raven »

Okay, I'm being dense: it's a barn hunt because it's in a barn, but the same principle applies to doing this in your backyard or house or the woods, right? Thor does object searches inside and outside (I don't have a barn) and some tracking. Is it the same, aside from bales of hay and those intoxicating livestock smells (if other than a hay barn)?

Ice looks as stunning as ever. We need more sport pictures of Ice!
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: BARN HUNT???

Post by LyonsFamily »

I attended a seminar with Elli and she thought it was the dumbest thing. She'd rather sit on top of the hay bales and look for the barn cat. She seems to be too dignified to play haha.

I had one group of barn hunt classes at my place and Odin was into it, but we didn't stick with it. I didn't like how it transferred over to him working in nosework and while I tried to have him on a passive alert for the rats, instead of the active alert they prefer with terriers, I just don't like the idea of him purposely searching out rats in his free time and housing the rats here was a big pain, especially in the winter. I'm just a little too paranoid about Lepto from the rats to continue with it.

I do have a lot of friends into barn hunt and I think it's a good sport just to get some dogs out there doing something. I don't want this to sound like a downer post at all, just my experience. Perhaps it would've been different for us if I wasn't also planning on trialing in nosework and handler discrimination for obedience.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: BARN HUNT???

Post by Dutchringgirl »

LyonsFamily wrote:I attended a seminar with Elli and she thought it was the dumbest thing. She'd rather sit on top of the hay bales and look for the barn cat. She seems to be too dignified to play haha.

Thalie would join Elli, no way Thalie is doing this LOL. Sadie would love this though. But her attention span is still like a nat, she would be going in every different direction with each new smell.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: BARN HUNT???

Post by Stacy_R »

I have wanted to try this with both Tyson and my schnauzer...they are both mighty mouse hunters. Unfortunately, there isn't a barn hunt group in my area.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
ICE
Training Dog
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Re: BARN HUNT???

Post by ICE »

So I must be honest - rats gross me out!!!! Which is why I am so happy that I found a lady to work with just 30 minutes from home. She is a super lady and has helped me out allot for a very reasonable fee.
It does not have to be in a barn. It must use the straw bales though. The rats are safely contained in PVC tubes so there is not actual contact. All of the rules and regulations are on the website www.barnhunt.com I will be trialing with both Ice and Diamond at the end of Aug. I have trouble reading my little mixed breed (Diamond) so I sometimes miss her alert. Ice is much easier - he barks!! :lol:
Both doggies are really enjoying it, which makes me enjoy it too.
Patty and Ice
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: BARN HUNT???

Post by johninny »

OMG, at least 2 of mine - Sakima and Tracer - would be apoplectic with way too much excitement.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Post Reply