Rear End Weakness

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
JennieLeigh
Puppy
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am 31, from Alberta, Canada, and I just adopted an 8-10 month old male Dutch shepherd from my local SPCA. I'm really looking forward to getting to know him and learning how to work with him to bring out the very best of his potential.

Rear End Weakness

Post by JennieLeigh »

So yesterday it was pointed out to me that Fender has serious weakness in his rear end. I had wondered/feared/worried, and was hoping my trainer could tell me there's nothing to worry about. But she couldn't. She was pretty upset about his condition too. Apparently he starved himself in the shelter and lost 15-20lbs, all muscle and conditioning. His hips are just bones and his muscles seem slightly atrophied from sitting in the kennel doing nothing all day, day in, day out.

She figures he hurt his back at some point, possibly when he got neutered and had his legs spread out, or during sleep, or it could be sitting wrong, anything. I'm so worried that during the times we did play, maybe we played just too hard and I somehow hurt him. :cry:

He has a hard time climbing into the car/onto the couch/etc, and he seems to have a hard time getting up from a down. He doesn't correct his back feet if they are in a funny position, and when he walks sometimes he drags the top of his back feet.

Anyway...I'm taking him to the vet on Tuesday to find out exactly what is going on with his back end, if it's a pinched nerve, slipped disk, HD, or what have you, and I'm beginning to up the protein in his diet so he can put on some weight.

She told me to do some mild balance exercises such as lifting his legs for a couple seconds, both left legs, then both right legs, then opposite legs. And she said to put him in a proper sit and guide a treat so he leans back and reaches for it, stopping just before he loses his sit. Is there anything else i could be doing for him that could build his muscles as well as his rear end awareness?? He seems to not even realize he exists past his front shoulders. LOL.

I've stopped using the kennel today so he doesn't spend so many hours cramped up in one space. It's a HUGE crate, but still, not being able to pace or stretch totally out, i figured he'd do better with more room. So he slept free in my room last night and he was really good, and so today when i left for work i left him in my bedroom so he could move around freely. when i went home i discovered that he is, in fact, an angel dog. :DSangel: nothing was disturbed. yay!!

I'm crossing my fingers that it's something that can be fixed with TLC and exercise, and not neurological...which is what i'm fearing due to the dragging feet. :(

*sigh*
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Rear End Weakness

Post by johninny »

Jennie, i am so sorry to hear that your beautiful pup Fender has a problem. maybe others will have more direct comments on the physical aspects, but 2 supplements could not hurt and would almost certainly help overall, whatever the diagnosis is. 1000mg/day Ascorbyl Palmitate [ a form of vit c that you can get at Vitamin Shoppe ] and glucosamine/chondroitin [ either Cosequin DS which is made for dogs but is expensive or Walmart's Spring Valley gluco/chondroitin which Christie says is the same EFFECTIVE formulation].

if Fender has ANY troubles now like you describe - even if hopefully they turn out to be ''nothing'' at the moment, it would be an especially good idea that he get both of these supplements every day for life.

also, making sure he is getting enough high-quality Omega-3 fat would also be wise. you could add the oil directly - like fish, krill, etc. - or add a daily nutritional supplement like Platinum Performance CJ which has VERY high quality Omega 3 and additional joint and tendon helpers.

good luck with your sweet boy.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Rear End Weakness

Post by alspyce »

Try some Satin Balls for putting on weight. Let us know how you do at the vet.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Rear End Weakness

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

If you YouTube rear end awareness exercises some good stuff should come up. To teach a focused heel rear end awareness is a huge part. I think I searched for competition attention heel. I'll see if I can find the video we used. It was really great!

I would see what the vet thinks. If it's HD I'd ask what sort if exercises could be used. If it's simple muscle atrophy I would lower the play intensity a bit (tough but these guys adore playing hard) and try some muscle massages along the way. H adores when I give him massages.

For training treats I would use high protein ones to help with the weight. Boiled chicken, jerky, dehydrated treats (like Stella and Chewy's or Primal). Some will be richer so may be used in moderation, and hot dogs can get a lot of fat, which is good and bad. As a side note I was always told to boil hot dogs to get the salt off them, don't know if that's true or not. Basically as much good stuff high protein to help with some weight gain. I would also build the weight slowly and surely rather than rapidly to avoid any osteo problems - I'm sure the vet may have some good ideas too!

Let us know what the vet says!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Rear End Weakness

Post by Dutchringgirl »

How long was he in this kennel? Was it a short stay, or is this before you got him? Is this something new?

Until you know what is up with his rear end, I would not put too much weight on him. the extra weight can stress a problem. I would be easy on him until you get what is going on from the vet. With out knowing what is going on back there, you could be hurting him or making it worse.

If it is HD, you want him light, Sadie has double HD and I keep her thin, although she does a good job herself by being so crazy.

Get xrays to see what is going on as well.

Keep it basic until you see the vet.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Post Reply