This just happened....

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

This just happened....

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

H has a habit of leaving his raw bones outside (usually hiding them so I can't pick them up) and since it was a nice day I gave him a raw bone to munch on while I answered phone calls and emails. Apparently, the gaggle of ravens have come back to town and their favorite place to chill is my house. H is amazed by them. Well, he just left his bone in the grass (true to his style) while he went to play with something and the ravens descended. He turned around and they're eating his bone! He didn't know what to do! There were about 7-9 of them making a ruckus around it. He snuck forward and sat, watching and whining. They were actually scaring him off every time he approached. I was amazed he didn't just go for them. I watched and waited to see what he would do, ready to interfere if needed, and it wasn't until he walked over to me, laid down, put his head on his paws and looked up at me (the same signal he gives when he's ready to come out of his crate) and kept bouncing his eyes from me to the birds, making little sighs.

The joke was on the ravens though because the bone was a little unwieldy to pick up and carry and after much encouragement, H finally, with my help, scared them off. Now whenever the raven caws he gives a little growl woof and pulls his bone farther under the covered patio. I told him not to leave his bones lying about if he isn't done with them and he sighed and made him "nom nom nom" noise, which I assume is his agreement.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: This just happened....

Post by karenz »

Haha. That will teach him to leave his bone laying around. I wish you had a video of it! Xander chases the birds here but the Bluejays give him a hard time. They actually go after Xander. So Xander runs at them then they fly towards him then he runs away, the birds stop and Xander goes after them again. It goes on and on. Like they are playing tag.
Karen & Xander
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: This just happened....

Post by HeatherH »

LOL

Patients Daniel son

I think Dutch would have tried to bite him but in true bird fashion they would have turned on him. He chases birds out of the yard all the time. He does the same thing he just leaves his toys and bones all over the yard. It's so much fun replacing the blades on the lawnmower when you don't find them all.

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Post Reply